Max size/resolution of picture uploads

Hynz

I'm not an avid photograph and not picky but I would like to increase the number of my picture uploads in my logs and I would like to know what pre-processing I should apply to my photos so that GC is not applying any shrinking or other manipulation but still maintaining the best quality.

Back in the days it was (I think) 800 pixel for the longest side together with a maximum file size which I don't remember and it was a well known embarrassment that the applied shrinking process by GC was miserable. I know this has been improved and the boundaries were relaxed but I can't find any hint to the actual values.

I'm mainly interested in pictures within logs but I guess it is the same also for pictures in cache descriptions and I only want to use the web interface for the upload (no smartphone app involved).

I found some related and recent but not abundant threads in the photography subforum.

5 hours ago, Hynz said:

I'm not an avid photograph and not picky but I would like to increase the number of my picture uploads in my logs and I would like to know what pre-processing I should apply to my photos so that GC is not applying any shrinking or other manipulation but still maintaining the best quality.

In this thread, I uploaded large photos, and the site rescaled them to 2048x1536.  It was noted that some Apps also rescale to about half that.  I didn't test for maximum file size.

Photos that are 2048x1536 or smaller seem unaffected (this is subject to change).  Re-size to 2048x1536 or smaller, select a JPG compression that suits you, and upload that.

• Upvote 2

If I'm uploading directly to geocaching.com, I throw the photo into my favorite editor, process as desired and resize it to a width of 640 and then upload it.

That way I have full control of the appearance of the final image.

If I want high resolution or large size, I host them on my own site and link to them from geocaching.com.