Attacking fire ants - need help Florida cachers

Elektrazz

In Florida I never wear "shoes" only flip-flops.  After getting cut up from thorns I decided to purchase some lightweight walking shoes.  similar to "tennis shoes".  I then got attacked by ants.  they clung on to my shoes and went searching for blood.  So my question is without wearing boots has anyone found any tricks to keep ants away?

Curious, now that you're wearing shoes,  could it be you're just not paying as much attention as when you had bare feet?

- The reason I ask is simply wearing shoes shouldn't have created a problem.     :)

My experience with fire ants is much further North (NC), and even though DEET may repel 'em some,  there's not much that'll stop them when they've been disturbed.

Just now, cerberus1 said:

Curious, now that you're wearing shoes,  could it be you're just not paying as much attention as when you had bare feet?

- The reason I ask is simply wearing shoes shouldn't have created a problem.     :)

My experience with fire ants is much further North (NC), and even though DEET may repel 'em some,  there's not much that'll stop them when they've been disturbed.

Well the ants crawled up to the top of my shoes and bite me.  That was the problem!  dam ants!

Minor aside,   it's unlikely that you encountered fire ants. Term fire ant applies to a number of species; what distinguishes fire ants is that they have a stinger, injecting an alkaloid venom (really nasty stuff) and biting jaws.  Most ants bite, spraying some type of formic acid, no stinger.

I expect you were bitten. Unpleasant, and may leave a tiny pus pocket. 

I think Z Statman nailed it - keep an eye out