Appeals

I can tell you that:

1. Some people have used the appeals process.
  2. Some appeals were successful.
  3. Some appeals were turned down.

Any feedback you get is likely to be coloured by whether the respondent fell into category 2 or 3.

If you are thinking of appealing a decision that's all irrelevant to your case which will/should be treated on it's own merits; so go ahead and lodge the appeal and see what happens.

If you're just looking for a discussion or some sort of survey then I suppose this response isn't very helpful - sorry.

3 hours ago, The Snowdog said:

Has anyone here used the appeal process? If so, how did it go? 

I have used appeals few times and every time I have got response. For me it has worked 100% efficiency. I have heard from one user that there has been major problems with communication. It would be nice if the appeals would work on-line so you could list and check your appeals at any time.

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, Korichnovui said:

What do you appeal, the decision to publish a cache or is it something else?

Generally, cache owners appeal a volunteer reviewer's decision not to publish a cache listing.

See also the Help Center article Submit an appeal, which discusses the process.

Edited by niraD
clarity
7 minutes ago, huntnjade said:

Why would they do that? A few examples, maybe?

Kind of hard to show examples on Listing pages, since the Deleted logs go into an Archive, that is only visible to the Admins and Reviewers, but here is a relatively recent thread concerning one Users story:

7 hours ago, huntnjade said:

Normally CO asks the finder to edit the log and delete the log if the finder ceased to edit it as requested. Sometimes the CO just deletes the log and ask to relog it differently. Sometimes the CO just delete log after being offended.  For example, one my traditional cache needs a special tool. If a finder reveals the tool I will react and ask to remove this detail. Someone else CO could just delete the log. It depends on the CO.

Edited by arisoft

Minor technical matter: appeals is for pre-publication disagreements between cache owner and reviewer, and is brought to GeocachingHQ's attention from the Help Center contact, select

09. Appeals

Log deletion issues are also brought to GeocachingHQ's attention (not a reviewer) by using the Help Center contact. Do not select 09. Appeals, use 16. Geocacher Disagreement

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 6
19 hours ago, huntnjade said:

I've known of cachers who were honest (and therefore not complimentary) about the cache location, e.g. mentioning that the area is strewn with rubbish, where the CO has deleted the log.

I've also known of cachers who logged a find on a puzzle cache which they found but didn't solve the puzzle and the CO deleted the log.

There are other possibilities, but none that I can recall personal experience of.

On 6/4/2018 at 1:22 AM, huntnjade said:

So far I've only had one log deleted.   The CO deleted my found it log (6 months after I found the cache), no explanation given.  When I asked the CO, I was told it was because the CO believed I had "destroyed his hide".     He was suspicious as it had 3 found it logs in a row (2 from myself and my friend), and he didn't expect it to be found that easily, so he checked on it and found it was "destroyed".    My friend also had his log deleted.

We didn't destroy anything.   We found a micro sized container on the ground at the base of a fence, and signed the log.   The main "evidence" against us was  that our original logs didn't say anything about the cache being "destroyed", and  "there is no supporting evidence that it was disturbed before your visit. ".

To this day I still don't know how the cache was intended to be hidden.   My guess is that maybe it was supposed to be inside a fence post and hard to find and get out.   But as we had no idea what the hide was supposed to be like.   The container we signed was intact.    The difficulty rating was only 2.5, so we didn't think anything was odd when we found the container there at the base of a post.

Groundspeak reinstated my log.    So in my experience, the system worked.

It still bothers me that my log was deleted and I was accused in this way.    The cache is now archived with the note "its a sad day when cachers must destroy a good hide for a smiley" which I know is aimed at me.    But it doesn't mention me by name, so nothing I can do about that.  

As a CO, I've not yet deleted a log.   And I will only do so if I am sure there is a very good reason.