Library Geocaching Program

Hi!

I am planning a geocache event for a public library. I was wondering if anyone has recently run a library geocache program and would be willing to help me get on the right track? This is my first experience with this topic, so I am wanting to know what the experts say! What I currently have planned is that there will be multiple geocaches placed around town that the families can walk to from the library. Since we do not have the families register for our events, I am thinking I will likely stick a stamp or sticker in the box. When they collect enough stickers they can redeem them at the library. I'm looking for some things that went well with your program and things you would have changed. Any advice is welcome.

Couple of thoughts and questions.

You say a geocache event. Are you thinking of a single day Event, or an event that lasts for several months. In other words, would you be creating an Event type cache at the library?

I'm going to assume that you are looking at an event lasting several months. In that cache, the series of caches you are proposing would be a reward trail. There is a forum dedicated to GeoTours and Reward Trails which may be another area to solicit ideas.

Don't forget, regular caches cannot require interaction with staff, so all caches must be able meet that criteria.

To me, using code words is probably your best means of verifying that some found the caches. Using a label maker, come up with a word and affix it to the inside of the container. You can generate a 'passport' that cachers would fill out to claim the reward. Stamps or stickers may be mistaken for swag, but the code words usually persist.