Maps?

3 hours ago, chrissyml said:

The map feature hasn't been showing up. Can anyone else see them?

You mean the map box in the top right corner on search result and waymark pages?

If so, then yes. We can see them. Or, some of us can see them, sometimes.

It is a known hickup in the system, not a real bug, as there is no pattern. Sometimes, it does not show. We don't know the reason. I personally think it has to do with bandwidth and network latency. When I miss the map, one or a couple of page refreshes usually makes it visible.

Oh, that map! Well, that's a different case.

This map is done in Flash. It is still there, but Flash is a web technology that was state of the art some years ago, and today many system manufacturers strongly discourage its use and try to get rid of it.

It depends on your operating system and browser. When you use Windows you have still a real chance to see it (depends on the browser and its settings). On iOS it is almost hopeless. Anything else is somewhere in between. Try a different browser or play around with some settings. What do you currently use?

Had a recent Chrome update and, indeed, no map. Can't say for certain when last I saw it, though.

On an irrelevant topic - ever notice that with each update some software becomes even more user UNfriendly? Since the update, when I hit return when editing a Waymark it will often jump to the bottom of the long description field. Never did that before and it is REALLY aggravating!!! It's enough to make one think that Google had recently hired some Microsloth programmers.

Keith

Google, and even more Apple, had been saying for years that the want to see Flash die, because it is an unclean technology with many security issues and one of the major entry points for intrusions and other hacks.

It was announced and the site owners and web companies had a lot of time to adapt newer and better technologies. Many of them did listen. The rest will feel a growing pressure now. It is unfriendy, explicitly. But the target are not the users in the first place, it is against web sites that still use outdated and dangerous software. 

11 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Had a recent Chrome update and, indeed, no map. Can't say for certain when last I saw it, though.

On an irrelevant topic - ever notice that with each update some software becomes even more user UNfriendly? Since the update, when I hit return when editing a Waymark it will often jump to the bottom of the long description field. Never did that before and it is REALLY aggravating!!! It's enough to make one think that Google had recently hired some Microsloth programmers.

Keith

Meanwhile I have 4 different browsers running at work, because one application I need will only work properly on Firefox (with English as the preferred language), the other one on IE and so on. And yes, I hate software that becomes more "intuitive" and/or "user friendly", because in general that means that I don't understand the new "intuitive" way to do things and with every new version I feel more stupid, especially when it comes  to software that I hardly use like Word. In the old days I knew the most important features of Word, but today I sometimes fail with trying to do the simplest things, just because the software is so much more intiutive now. :-)

AND, whenever I edit a waymark, I copy the entire Long description to my favorite HTML-Editor and after editing I paste the new source Code into the Long description field.

Edited by PISA-caching