Replacing Garmin 62S

Garmin has the 64 (series of which the 64s is one).  I have the 62s and several of my friends have the 64s so we are always comparing.

The huge most useful improvement is the ability to upload an unlimited number of caches as it supports the GGZ file format.  I thought this would be an advantage for road trips, but in reality we tend to be much more selective on road trips and only load a few well researched caches.  So this may or may not be important to you.  The 62s by contrast will comfortably hold several thousand but in my experience will crash if loaded to the rated capacity.

The GLONASS or Russian satellites in my experience tend to make the unit less accurate.  This could be an illusion as it may be the US satellites that are less accurate, but it's not really the accuracy that counts, its the ability to replicate and find the same ground zero as the person who placed the cache.  If the person placing the cache used US satellites only, it may appear to be more accurate with GLONASS turned off.

The Bluetooth connects only to specific devices and is not as I had hoped a full function data connection.

So in my opinion, I'd buy the 64s if it was close to the same price as the 62s but wouldn't pay a huge premium for it.

There are also a number of other "advanced" models that are touch screen.  I haven't used them or know of anyone who does so I  can't really comment on them.  Personally I like the buttons but not everyone does.

In addition, a growing number of people only cache with their phones.  Again not my choice, but I'm sure many people wouldn't have it any other way.

Not a getting started issue, moving to a more appropriate forum.  But in answer to your question, the Garmin 64S and 64ST are great units and an improvement over the 62S.  Though if you want the latest and greatest, the 64 series has been around for a while and Garmin is about due to upgrade it. Perhaps the 66S is just around the corner. 

I do hope not, just upgraded to the 64s from a Vista HCX. Looking at the timelines it does feel like the 66 is just around the corner, but Garmin marches to the beat of its own drum, so I put off procrastinating and grabbed one from Millets; £275 with full UK OS 1:50. Which does not cover the Isle of Man as advertised. Grrrr...

There is not really any reason to change to a 64S, IMO.  The difference are not enough to warrant spending money.  I suspect we will be seeing a new model fairly soon and I would wait to see what that gives us.  My crystal ball is that it will have a much better screen and allow for Geocaching live so that you can connect through a phone and update via wifi.

The improvement I like in the 64s over the 62s is the ability to charge the batteries in the device using the optional battery pack. Some folks have cleverly found ways to do this without purchasing the optional battery pack. Some people also like the pre-loaded caches that come with the unit. I purchased my 64s at a terrific price that was too good to pass up. I added the battery pack and find myself using this GPSr almost exclusively despite having a perfectly fine 62s. But they're both great!