Feature request: extra icon when long pole needed

Blazez

Lately there were a lot new caches that require a long pole to get them out of a tree. And then I man like 6 or 7 met high or more. 

If the cache owner does it well, the “social tools required” icon is set. But a 6+ meter pole is not something I would casually carry around with me, especially when on holiday. 

I think of special tools something like a screwdriver, pocket knife, wire, magnet or something small like that.  

It would be great if there is an extra icon to warn about the need for a long pole.  An icon like “scuba gear”, “UV light” would be great to be able to filter on. 

Would it be possible to add such an icon ?

I feel " Special tool required" Attribute is accurate.  What "special tool" is needed to accomplish a task should be on the cache page.

If we had a "long pole" Attribute, is there an additional one added?  Just a "long pole" isn't gonna help.  ;)

"Long pole with clip" , Long pole with a magnet",  "long pole with gum on the end"... you get the idea...

35 minutes ago, Blazez said:

caches that require a long pole to get them out of a tree

But others might choose to use a ladder while others would choose to use climbing gear, so I think the generic "special tool required" is good enough, it's then up to the cacher to review the cache page and figure out for themselves which tool might be appropriate.

21 minutes ago, MartyBartfast said:

But others might choose to use a ladder while others would choose to use climbing gear, so I think the generic "special tool required" is good enough, it's then up to the cacher to review the cache page and figure out for themselves which tool might be appropriate.

As someone who needs such special tools more frequently than most, I agree (although I never look at the attributes anyway.)

1 hour ago, MartyBartfast said:

Yeah, maybe there could be an "elevated cache" attribute, which would apply whether you needed a pole, a ladder, or :ph34r: a drone :ph34r:

1 hour ago, MartyBartfast said:

Sure.

We have a "rope" hide, yet we've seen everything from ladders to something that resembled a castle breaching wall to access.

Unless a 'long pole" is placed somewhere nearby by the CO,  maybe I'd just "feel like" using a ladder or rope that day.   :)

3 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

I feel " Special tool required" Attribute is accurate.  What "special tool" is needed to accomplish a task should be on the cache page.

[...]

Exactly that. No additional attribute is needed.

12 minutes ago, arisoft said:

How about terrain when the cache needs a long pole? I have seen anything between T2 - T5. Sometimes using the pole is optional. You could also climb to the tree.

Sometimes elevated caches are rated with high terrain because the CO expects you to climb the tree. Sometimes elevated caches are rated with high difficulty because the CO expects you to stay safely on the ground and use tools/cleverness to retrieve the cache. Sometimes the CO is tall, and doesn't consider a cache within arms reach to need a high terrain rating or a high difficulty rating.

On 5/21/2018 at 10:32 AM, MartyBartfast said:

I have only encountered one cache where using a long pole would have been the easiest way to retrieve the cache.  In the logs I read of others using a ladder and someone that lived nearby that stacked up a couple of lawn chairs (with predictable results) to grab it.

The only cache we've done that needed a "pole" was supplied by the CO in a simple, two-stage  multi, but I coulda accessed it with a hiking stick (deep rock crevice). 

All tree hides we've ever done had you climb to it freehand by branches or other means, with the container attached.  Even if you had a pole, you'd just create a maintenance issue for the CO.  May be a CO/location specific thing...

Did a partial series early Fall last year (archived before completion with all the issues...), where someone ripped a container from it's tether high in a tree, and found it on the ground with part of the heavy-duty attachment still on it.   No marks on the tree access, guess they used a pole.   :)