I love finding old NF's

Bill93

This one was last reported as NF in 1981.

https://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=MH0075

It says reported by NGS, but I wonder if that's how the Power Squadron reports showed up at that time.  There are a lot of NF's on this level line on a former railroad that is just barely traceable now.  I wonder how many others are really there.

I'm glad I did this one in May and not August.  The undergrowth was passable, no mosquitos or chiggers, and I only saw one tick.

120c459b-dce8-4530-88b6-f2ff9a174ffe.jpg

02/21/1992 by NJGS (MARK NOT FOUND)
RECOVERY NOTE BY NEW JERSEY GEODETIC SURVEY 1992 (FAC) THE STATION WAS SEARCHED FOR AND NOT RECOVERED AFTER A QUARTER HOUR SEARCH BY A TWO MAN PARTY. THE BLACK ROCK OUTCROP HAS BEEN REMOVED. THE STATION IS CONSIDERED LOST.

Yeah.  I've run into that a few times with  New Jersey Geodetic Survey.  The black rock outcrop was still there!

KU1637.jpg

I'll pass on some tidbit I got from a state NGS advisor many years (>20) ago.  Not Found is sometimes a misnomer.  He told me that it could also mean it was not even looked for.  He mentioned USGS work in which they submitted a recovery list of marks they used in the mapping project along with all the other marks in the project area they were supplied by NGS.  The person(s) who inputted the info (clerical staff) at the time (could have been yrs later) assumed the rest on the list of marks (that were not used) were not found.  When in reality they never even looked because they did not need them.  Even NGS crews did this back in the day when office staff did the paperwork.  That would explain why with some marks labeled as not found are in plain sight. 

Edited by Z15