How do I add trails to the geocaching app map

Ypsimom

I was caching in a local to me preserve that does not have the trails plotted out on the app. I am a premium member and I did have trails selected on my app map. 

Sadly I got a bit lost and turned to the app to get me back on track. Well, sadly that did not happen as there were not trails on the map and instead I was a blue dot in a big green area on the map. 

So, my question is how do I get these trails on the geocaching app?

Hi.

Do you know if the trails are mapped on https://www.openstreetmap.org/?  (There's a link right on the cache page.)

If they are, they should show up on the Groundspeak "Trails" map.  That map is actually quite new, and they've promised to update it every, what, month or two.  So as long as the trails have been in the OSM database for at least a couple of months, no problem.

Have you tried zooming IN a notch?  I don't know about the app, but on the website, trails don't actually show up until you zoom in just a bit.

And if they're not in OSM, could I interest you in adding them to OSM?  OSM is like Wikipedia; anybody can edit it, and the results are impressive.  (As an editor, I find it somewhat addictive.)  It's gratifying to (1) find a cache, (2) find a trail right next to the cache, (3) add the trail to OSM, and (4) later notice the trail, that you added, is right there on the cache page.  :)

EDIT: I snooped your profile, I hope you don't mind.  Let me guess, DeVine Preserve?  Right, there are no trails in OSM there just yet.  Do you have track logs of your hike?  OSM would love to have 'em, and that would benefit everybody.

Holler if you're interested, and have questions.  They've made editing OSM easy with lots of great tools.  Oh, and don't be misled by "street" in the name; OSM has become the place to go for trail maps.

You add them to OSM, and (after a wee delay) they'll show up in the caching app.  B)

Edited by Viajero Perdido
On 5/18/2018 at 9:57 PM, Viajero Perdido said:

Hi.

Do you know if the trails are mapped on https://www.openstreetmap.org/?  (There's a link right on the cache page.)

If they are, they should show up on the Groundspeak "Trails" map.  That map is actually quite new, and they've promised to update it every, what, month or two.  So as long as the trails have been in the OSM database for at least a couple of months, no problem.

Have you tried zooming IN a notch?  I don't know about the app, but on the website, trails don't actually show up until you zoom in just a bit.

And if they're not in OSM, could I interest you in adding them to OSM?  OSM is like Wikipedia; anybody can edit it, and the results are impressive.  (As an editor, I find it somewhat addictive.)  It's gratifying to (1) find a cache, (2) find a trail right next to the cache, (3) add the trail to OSM, and (4) later notice the trail, that you added, is right there on the cache page.  :)

EDIT: I snooped your profile, I hope you don't mind.  Let me guess, DeVine Preserve?  Right, there are no trails in OSM there just yet.  Do you have track logs of your hike?  OSM would love to have 'em, and that would benefit everybody.

Holler if you're interested, and have questions.  They've made editing OSM easy with lots of great tools.  Oh, and don't be misled by "street" in the name; OSM has become the place to go for trail maps.

You add them to OSM, and (after a wee delay) they'll show up in the caching app.  B)

I’d love to help get trails listed and yes that’s the preserve! 

Are you saying I’d use my Garmin to make a track? I’m new to all that but completely capable of learning! Do tell or point me to more information. Thank you for the reply :)

1 hour ago, Ypsimom said:

Are you saying I’d use my Garmin to make a track?

Yes, that's ideal.  Did your unit record a track log on your recent hike?  If so, the simplest thing is to upload your track log (.gpx) to the https://www.openstreetmap.org/ site (see "GPS Traces" at the top).  That doesn't put it on the map directly, but makes it available for the next interested mapper to come along, who can do just that.  That interested mapper could be you; notice also the Edit button at the top.

OSM is really just a database, but SO many maps are built on that data - including the Trails map in the Groundspeak app.  I tell you, it is cool seeing a trail you added to the map, showing up right there on the cache page, or in a caching app.  It'll help someone, for sure.

If you're just starting out with OSM, the easiest editor is "iD", which works right inside your browser.  The most powerful editor (but hardest to learn) is likely JOSM, which is what I use nowadays.  I've forgotten most of what I knew about iD, but it's easy to figure out, and the instructional materials are pretty good.

Get out there and start mapping!  B)

PS, sometimes you can also see trails from space, eg, in satellite imagery.  OSM has something like half a dozen sources of quality satellite imagery to choose from (none of them named Google), so you can map based on that as well.  Or Strava traces (sport watches), or uploaded .gpx tracks as mentioned above, or any combination.

Last winter I decided the town of Grande Cache (what a name!) needed its trails mapped, and this last weekend I took advantage of my work.  "After twenty metres turn right, then after eight metres, you'll be at your destination."  B)

Edited by Viajero Perdido