No more TBs for me.

lone surfer

I have placed and owned about a dozen TBs I've bought and placed for the fun of the game "Geocache", sadly most are missing ie: collected.  I think that is pretty skunky and I wish you collectors would leave now.  So now I am that much more disillusioned with this sport/game and will never place a cache or create a TB, your loss not mine.

3 minutes ago, lone surfer said:

I have placed and owned about a dozen TBs I've bought and placed for the fun of the game "Geocache", sadly most are missing ie: collected.  I think that is pretty skunky and I wish you collectors would leave now.  So now I am that much more disillusioned with this sport/game and will never place a cache or create a TB, your loss not mine.

I realize you're ticked, but there's no need to be rude...

I found seven TBs in your inventory, none say "collectible", so if any are missing it's theft, error,  or ignorance, not some person who thinks they can "collect" it.

Sometimes a child may grab one without parents noticing for example.

If you're referring to some who grab them, never to be seen again, they aren't collectors...

My other 2/3rds is a "collector" with well-over 200 coins in her inventory.    Some of her friends have many more.

I have around 100 still unactivated.  I'd rather give them away in caches than have someone steal 'em,  and do. 

I can understand your frustration. I have not released any of my own trackables yet but to lose so many would discourage just about anyone. Not even to mention how expensive some of them can be, I've seen some that are childhood items from the CO made into trackables. Imagine losing something like that to a total stranger.

When I began geocaching I was doing it every day, and was fascinated by trackables. The items, the stories, the logs, everything. I picked up a lot of them (as I imagine many new geocachers do) but parted with them far less frequently. I took about a 8-10 month hiatus due to work and personal relationships and things like that but only realized after receiving a message from a fellow geocacher that... I still had a lot of those trackables. I felt mortified. Here I had just begun this amazing hobby, and then unwittingly I had hoarded a ton of these things that people had spent their hard earned money on and had their own wishes for where they would go and who they would meet, and they had just sat in my backpack. For nearly a year. When I was able, I took a quick trip out to a geocache I knew was visited frequently and dropped all of them (except one that I am still searching for). I know that's not ideal, but it's what I had time for at that point in my life, and thankfully one of the owners of those trackables picked them all up and dispersed them during one massive geocaching trip. I still feel a little guilt well up inside of me every time I see a trackable in a geocache for that. For a long time I didn't touch them. Recently I began picking them up again, sparingly, and only if I knew I would be able to drop it again within the next few days.

So I guess I would just like to remind you that anything can happen. A lot of those owners of those trackables probably never expected to see those out in caches again. I had kept them for almost a year, logged no new finds, had no activity whatsoever. Then one day, they all were released again to continue their journeys. It never should have happened, and I still feel awful, but some of them may pop up again down the line. You just never know.

Edited by Stakmaster
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, Stakmaster said:

... So I guess I would just like to remind you that anything can happen. A lot of those owners of those trackables probably never expected to see those out in caches again. I had kept them for almost a year, logged no new finds, had no activity whatsoever. Then one day, they all were released again to continue their journeys. It never should have happened, and I still feel awful, but some of them may pop up again down the line. You just never know.

Yep.  That was very honest of you as well (for sharing that).  :)

• Upvote 1