Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
4nealalan

Find real-time cachers on and around?

Is there some way I’m not aware of to find others to geocache with? It seems like social networking with GC is still in the 90s. LOL 

I’d love to sign on to the GC app and see where someone else is signed on at. As an example, think of how Waze shows other users in the map. Or how Couchsurfing lets people sign on and post for the next 3 hours they are looking to hang out. 

Is there anything out there I could use to find other cachers nearby, without planning two weeks out with an event cache?! LOL (No clue where I will be or what I’ll be doing in 2 weeks!)

I'm not sure everyone shares your enthusiasm regarding tracking capabilities, but there are third party apps and devices that would allow such functionality with consent of all parties involved.  The intent of the Terms of Use probably impose some restrictions on the site regarding such functionality. 

• Upvote 1

I'm grateful that the forums are nothing like a "social" site, but one to discuss topics pertinent to the hobby. 

Every one I've seen, if someone simply disagrees and another has their wittle feelings hurt, a mod steps in and gives that "troublemaker" a time out. 

Forums don't work that way, thankfully.   :)

Curious how "I’d love to sign on to the GC app and see where someone else is signed on at" would work with the many who don't feel comfortable that a stranger may be lurking.  We know a few people who had their own stalkers.  Most waited on FTFs.  They don't play that side-game because of that.

I don't know you from Adam.  Why on Earth would you think it's okay to stalk me?

I head to the woods to get away from the social carp that has taken over other's lives, and are now slowly filtering into mine. 

Most times I'm not even bringing a phone.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

30 minutes ago, 4nealalan said:

Is there some way I’m not aware of to find others to geocache with? It seems like social networking with GC is still in the 90s. LOL 

I’d love to sign on to the GC app and see where someone else is signed on at. As an example, think of how Waze shows other users in the map. Or how Couchsurfing lets people sign on and post for the next 3 hours they are looking to hang out. 

Is there anything out there I could use to find other cachers nearby, without planning two weeks out with an event cache?! LOL (No clue where I will be or what I’ll be doing in 2 weeks!)

where's the down-vote button?  They put something like this in play, I quit.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, 4nealalan said:

But I guess a geocaching app could be created that includes tracking others who are using that same app.  That way, those of us who don't want to be tracked wouldn't use that app.  Maybe you should contact app developers.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, 4nealalan said:

As an example, think of how Waze shows other users in the map.

Kind of a myth.  Waze has a 2 minute delay in showing your location (normally anonymized):

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Privacy_issues

In geocaching terms, folks might have moved on to another 2-3 caches in that time depending on the Difficulty.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, 4nealalan said:

A cache team was once crossing the US, keeping an online journal of travels, and they had the NeonGeo App running, set up so they could be tracked.  I installed the App, and tracked them so I could meet them on the way.

One thing you could do is meet people at a local Event, and plan to cache together at times.  If it's a little more spontaneous, and if you have cachers to contact, you can share your location in a message or email.

2 hours ago, 4nealalan said:

Is there some way I’m not aware of to find others to geocache with? It seems like social networking with GC is still in the 90s.

Social networking isn't something that's part of this site, and there are many who would prefer that it stay that way.

Most regional social networking occurs on the real social networking sites like Facebook. It appears that you live in the greater Chicago area. It's pretty likely that there's a local Facebook group for that area, so you could join that and connect with other local cachers that way.

• Upvote 1

Hey I'm doing a small group May 19 at 10am at the Cypress Boardwalk. Its more like an introduction to Geocaching, but we should find at least 4.

pin

9945 Barker Cypress Rd, Cypress, TX 77433-1260, United States

I'm trying to introduce people to geocaching.
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 4nealalan said:

A big net maybe , or some kind of pit trap ,  possibly baited with a chance at a film pot FTF ...  that'll get you a few .

1 hour ago, NanCycle said:

where's the down-vote button?  They put something like this in play, I quit.

Me too - except , no, hang on a minute, those of us using GPS would be immune to this form of stalking. Should boost GPS sales enormously.

1 hour ago, NanCycle said:

But I guess a geocaching app could be created that includes tracking others who are using that same app.  That way, those of us who don't want to be tracked wouldn't use that app.  Maybe you should contact app developers.

Wouldl the app users be allowed to get closer to each other than 1/10th of a mile though :back:

I think the only way it would ever get implemented is if it was restricted to only "friends" and only on an opt-in basis.  

• Upvote 2

Yea cause anyone could download the app, know you're in the middle of the forest and pay you a little visit. Or it should be like a snap chat thing where it just shows an icon and every 15 minutes it shows your location on a map to your friends.

On 5/17/2018 at 11:41 AM, 4nealalan said:

An event is probably your best bet. Set a day aside that you know you’ll be free and set one up. 

It’s a lot of fun and you’ll get a lot of good advice. 

Also, I see you’re fairly new. If you ever need help with EarthCaches, just send me a message. I offer help with finding and understanding them as well as developing your own.

On 5/17/2018 at 2:41 PM, 4nealalan said:

Social network applications didn't exist in the 90's.  Facebook was started in 2004,  Twitter in 2006, and even MySpace didn't exist until 2003.  There was some blogging in the late 1990s but that's about as early as it gets.  Geocaching.com was created in 2000 and wasn't intended to be a social networking application.

• Upvote 2