Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 5
Geocaching HQ

Release Notes (Geocaching Forums)- May 16, 2018

Recommended Posts

Release Notes (Geocaching Forums)- May 16, 2018

 

Today we have upgraded the software used to power the Geocaching forums.

 

One of the most visible updates is the addition of new “reaction” options. In the past, you could only upvote a post. Now, you can also choose to mark a post as Funny, Surprised, Helpful, or Love. The Funny and Surprised reactions are neutral, meaning they will not accrue to a poster’s reputation total. Upvote, Helpful, and Love will accrue to the reputation total. A user can choose only one reaction per post.

 

9IegOm3QJ345SyjVYn-W2xQvUNShnwjsGns4a0RN

 

You can now edit or delete your posts at any time. Previously, you could edit your content up to 24 hours after posting. This restriction was in place so that threads would not lose context if content was edited or deleted a long time after posting. However, with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) taking effect on May 28, 2018, we are removing the edit/delete restriction so that users have more control over their content.


Ben F. from HQ’s IT Team is watching the thread to answer questions whenever possible.


Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Comments unrelated to the release may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!
 

  • Funny 3
  • Surprised 4
  • Helpful 5
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

A change I don't like is the ongoing trend to have pale grey text on a pale grey background that's now faded to almost invisibility, for example...

 

GreyOnGrey.png.b5a4786e22d4b018980727d71d2e07f6.png

Yes, I agree with barefootjeff. Please change it so there is more contrast, as the current color selection takes me more effort to read.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Another vote for better contrast in text.

Maybe it was this way before the latest change but I thought I could click Mark Forum as Read without having a confirmation dialog pop up to then click ok. Same goes in the all forums view ( https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/ ) and clicking the circle icon on the left of the forum name to mark all posts in that forum as read without going into the forum. Both of these now require confirmation dialogs (2 clicks each) and I don't see a forum setting to disable the confirmation. I'm 99% positive in the mobile view of the forums I could click the icon to mark all read and there was no confirmation required.

Edited by Team DEMP
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post

YES to better contrast. Why only votes for increase or neutral? Why not a vote as UNhelpful, like many of the inflammatory posts seem to be?

  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1

Share this post


Link to post

+1 on better contrast - it's more difficult to see now.  A darker font on the grey abckground would be a lot easier to see.

 

As far as the new ratings or "reactions" - I don't know that I'll use them much.  I do give a +1 (upvote) every now and again, but typically I just read - and reply.  I don't "react".

  • Surprised 1

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, I am always sure I want to mark the forum as read.

Cheezits

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, K13 said:

Why only votes for increase or neutral? Why not a vote as UNhelpful, like many of the inflammatory posts seem to be?

 

Agreed.  Guess (to me) it seems similar to the testing that's going on in Norway for cache logs.  Unhelpful there too (IMO).

Phony faceboook-like happy happy logs,  where everyone agrees..

 - I don't want anyone here "loving" me either, thanks.  Sheesh... 

All the stat sites will have these broken down in rankings by next week.   :)

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post

Please add me to the list of people who don't like having to confirm that I want to mark the forum as read.   At least add a "Don't show this again" box.  Even beter, remove the requester completely.

  • Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

Please add me to the list of people who don't like having to confirm that I want to mark the forum as read.   At least add a "Don't show this again" box.  Even beter, remove the requester completely.

 

Agree!

  • Surprised 1

Share this post


Link to post

I’m not following where the GDPR requires the ability to edit (as opposed to delete) your posts?

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

Please add me to the list of people who don't like having to confirm that I want to mark the forum as read.  

 

agreed. This message box was no good idea.

 

From my side please change:

+1 for removing the 'mark forum as read' message box

+1 better visibility of the grey texts

+1 downvote function

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post

Am I imagining this? It seems as if since this release, when I select text in someone's post to quote it, the "Quote this" pop-up now appears at a random place. It used to always pop up in a fixed place right above the selected text. I was puzzled a couple times because it seemed as if the pop-up wasn't working anymore, but then I noticed it had popped up, just far away from the text I'd selected.

  • Surprised 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, barefootguru said:

I’m not following where the GDPR requires the ability to edit (as opposed to delete) your posts?

 

Where we've landed with our current forum policy was decided after discussions with legal counsel. There is a lot about GDPR that is open to interpretation at this time. It could be that our policy on editing/deletion evolves. 

  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

One thing I would like to see in the forums is the ability to ignore a topic completely - preferably never have it show in the topic list.  

 

I don't use any App, so I never look at the two Geocaching App topics.  I'm not interested in geocaching and education.  I want to keep earthcaches and event caches, but the other topics there I never look at.  Can I just make those topics, among others, simply disappear from view?

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

One thing I would like to see in the forums is the ability to ignore a topic completely - preferably never have it show in the topic list.  

 

IIRC, at one time I thought you could toggle each topic and it'd close.  Didn't ignore really, just close it from view. 

Now there's many topics within  sections,  with a single toggle, so you'd lose seeing one you might be interested in.

 - For instance, you'd toggle out the apps topics, but website would go with it.    Guess I'd like to see that function as well.   :)

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

One thing I would like to see in the forums is the ability to ignore a topic completely - preferably never have it show in the topic list.  

 

I don't use any App, so I never look at the two Geocaching App topics.  I'm not interested in geocaching and education.  I want to keep earthcaches and event caches, but the other topics there I never look at.  Can I just make those topics, among others, simply disappear from view?

 

This kind of filtering can be done by using "selected forums" feature. I am following  "a custom stream" which contains only some forums. You could select your favorite forums and set the custom stream as your default view as I have done. It was a bit complicated to start but it works.

  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post

Upvote, Love, and Helpful seem redundant.

 

Personally, I would prefer Upvote and Downvote, plus Funny and Surprised. 

  • Surprised 2

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, arisoft said:

 

This kind of filtering can be done by using "selected forums" feature. I am following  "a custom stream" which contains only some forums. You could select your favorite forums and set the custom stream as your default view as I have done. It was a bit complicated to start but it works.

Thanks for the advice

 

I've managed to (almost) get what I want, which is good.

 

Cheers

 

Tony

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, arisoft said:

 

This kind of filtering can be done by using "selected forums" feature. I am following  "a custom stream" which contains only some forums. You could select your favorite forums and set the custom stream as your default view as I have done. It was a bit complicated to start but it works.

I had this setup since the last change to forums was done. What I can't seem to do is "mute" threads that are constantly updated in those forums such as the one that turned into the "gimme a 30 day free trial" thread.  Am I missing an option to mute threads in forums we follow?

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/16/2018 at 8:03 PM, Team DEMP said:

Maybe it was this way before the latest change but I thought I could click Mark Forum as Read without having a confirmation dialog pop up to then click ok. Same goes in the all forums view ( https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/ ) and clicking the circle icon on the left of the forum name to mark all posts in that forum as read without going into the forum. Both of these now require confirmation dialogs (2 clicks each) and I don't see a forum setting to disable the confirmation. I'm 99% positive in the mobile view of the forums I could click the icon to mark all read and there was no confirmation required.


Adding to my original post, on the main forum page in a desktop browser, click the circle icon to the left of the forum name marks the forum as read without a confirmation dialog. On my iphone, the same action prompts and requires a confirmation. 

 

For clicking "Mark forum as read" inside of a forum, both desktop and mobile browsers prompt for a confirmation.

It would be great if the site behaved as before and none of them prompted for confirmation. 

  • Surprised 1

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:39 PM, Geocaching HQ said:

Release Notes (Geocaching Forums)- May 16, 2018

 

 ... You can now edit or delete your posts at any time. Previously, you could edit your content up to 24 hours after posting. This restriction was in place so that threads would not lose context if content was edited or deleted a long time after posting. However, with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) taking effect on May 28, 2018, we are removing the edit/delete restriction so that users have more control over their content.


Ben F. from HQ’s IT Team is watching the thread to answer questions whenever possible.
 

 

Curious... Now that someone who may have fibbed in the forums (and got caught by their own Reviewer   ;) ) can now delete or "edit" maybe a year later,  making the entire thread meaningless, will it get vaporized? 

 - Do you even have a way to tell when a year-old post is "modified" ?

Earlier, when someone said something silly, got busted for "stretching" the truth, and deleted their OP, a Mod would close/lock that thread (since it no longer made sense).   If the OP changes months from now, it'd be nice if that thread went bye-bye.     :)

  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1

Share this post


Link to post

Certain kind of reactions are not persistent. Please see this forum post:

 

I report this here in hope it will be seen by somebody able to correct this bug (maybe Ben F.)

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 23/05/2018 at 10:37 PM, Tungstène said:

Certain kind of reactions are not persistent. Please see this forum post:

 

I report this here in hope it will be seen by somebody able to correct this bug (maybe Ben F.)

 

I'm bumping this as it still seems to be a problem. I keep getting notifications that someone has reacted to my posts but when I follow the link there's no reaction shown.

  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

 

I'm bumping this as it still seems to be a problem. I keep getting notifications that someone has reacted to my posts but when I follow the link there's no reaction shown.

 

Same here. Lately I have received numerous notifications that someone reacted to a post I made, but nothing shows on the post when I look.  I wish things would revert to the way it was before the multiple options, or at least add an Unhelpful button to accurately respond to some posts.

  • Surprised 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, K13 said:

 

Same here. Lately I have received numerous notifications that someone reacted to a post I made, but nothing shows on the post when I look.  I wish things would revert to the way it was before the multiple options, or at least add an Unhelpful button to accurately respond to some posts.

 

Yes.  I gave you a thumbs up, but it does not show...

  • Surprised 1

Share this post


Link to post

Neither did the thumbs up I just got...  Something very wrong here.  Like:  why bother?

  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Neither did the thumbs up I just got...  Something very wrong here.  Like:  why bother?

 

Why bother. Exactly!  I see a "Thumbs up" on your post I quoted, but don't see anything on any of my posts.  Maybe I'm being descriminated against or being bullied by the system?  Yeah, that's it. I'm now a victim!

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2018 at 6:22 PM, K13 said:

 

Why bother. Exactly!  I see a "Thumbs up" on your post I quoted, but don't see anything on any of my posts.  Maybe I'm being descriminated against or being bullied by the system?  Yeah, that's it. I'm now a victim!

 

Me too!  I get notices but can't see the reactions.

Edited by Max and 99

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 5

×