Asking for permission to hide a cache

njfeathe85

Hi Guys

Just wondering what I should be saying to the land owner when asking for permission to hide the cache?  Particularly a local council in charge of an open space such as a small country park?

Is there any spiel or set sentances i should be saying?

Cheers for your help in advance!

The only thing I'd add is to offer to meet with them if they'd like and be prepared to explain not only what Geocaching is but what your plans are in using the property.   Bring examples of cache containers and make sure you impress upon them that you'll be responsible for maintaining the containers and if they have any problems what-so-ever your willing and able to solve them. 

Good luck.  The fact that your actively seeking permission right off the bat is a sign of good things to come.  

12 minutes ago, justintim1999 said:

The only thing I'd add is to offer to meet with them if they'd like and be prepared to explain not only what Geocaching is but what your plans are in using the property.   Bring examples of cache containers and make sure you impress upon them that you'll be responsible for maintaining the containers and if they have any problems what-so-ever your willing and able to solve them. 

Good luck.  The fact that your actively seeking permission right off the bat is a sign of good things to come.  

Excellent thank you for the extra advice.  I'll see what their reply is.  I did think about mentioning that i'd be responsible for them as CO but had already clicked send!

Hopefully someone else wanting to know about permission will be able to find this article and use the information.

3 minutes ago, njfeathe85 said:

Excellent thank you for the extra advice.  I'll see what their reply is.  I did think about mentioning that i'd be responsible for them as CO but had already clicked send!

Hopefully someone else wanting to know about permission will be able to find this article and use the information.

I had the exact same experience.   Open space managed by a town sub committee that knew nothing about Geocaching.   It took me attending three meetings and a presentation before I was given permission.   I hope this doesn't discourage you because a good location is worth the effort.   

PS.   Because of this Geocaching experience I'm now on the board of directors of that sub committee.  Looking back it was one of the best decisions I've made as it's opened up many doors to things I really enjoy.      

2 hours ago, justintim1999 said:

PS.   Because of this Geocaching experience I'm now on the board of directors of that sub committee.  Looking back it was one of the best decisions I've made as it's opened up many doors to things I really enjoy. 

And tying this to another thread, this is an excellent example of how one can "give back to the game" without hiding any caches.  

• Upvote 1
On 16/05/2018 at 3:54 PM, NYPaddleCacher said:

And tying this to another thread, this is an excellent example of how one can "give back to the game" without hiding any caches.  

Ah excellent!  Thankfully the council have been understanding and we've been able to set out caches.  It has also led to another conversation with someone else in the council about a collabaration and working with them to set caches along some route's they're currently spending money on and upgrading so all good.  Thanks for the advice and good to hear about you helping your community too!

• Upvote 2