Sign in to follow this  
Followers 6
Saved by God's grace

Hidden Creatures? Say Wha...

Howdy y'all,

So, guessing from the URL in the newsletter this evening, it looks like we've got another souvenir promotion on our hands...anybody want to start some rumors on what it'll be based on this time?:D Personally, I'm hoping for a return to "the good ol' days" of the promos, with simple week-by-week tasks rather than the nearly-impossible friend league points system from Planetary Pursuit...but I guess we shall see?:unsure:

12 hours ago, Saved by God's grace said:

Howdy y'all,

So, guessing from the URL in the newsletter this evening, it looks like we've got another souvenir promotion on our hands...anybody want to start some rumors on what it'll be based on this time?:D Personally, I'm hoping for a return to "the good ol' days" of the promos, with simple week-by-week tasks rather than the nearly-impossible friend league points system from Planetary Pursuit...but I guess we shall see?:unsure:

Right....

Hopefully the structure is a little different than PP - not because the current one was faulty, but just because doing something just a little new or different keeps things fun and interesting (assuming they get it right the first time ;) )

• Upvote 2

The closing line of the recent blog on Planetary Pursuit said "We loved exploring beyond our normal caching habits to reach the stellar souvenirs but are excited to uncover a new world of geocaching soon…"

This hidden creatures promo must be what they were hinting at.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Saved by God's grace said:

nearly-impossible friend league points system from Planetary Pursuit...but I guess we shall see?:unsure:

Nearly impossible? I believe I acquired over 1200 points without even breaking a sweat. :ph34r:

17 minutes ago, bflentje said:

Nearly impossible? I believe I acquired over 1200 points without even breaking a sweat. :ph34r:

Lucky you!;) (no sarcasm meant--I really am happy for you!) I know a lot of folks (myself included) who had trouble trying to get even the 500--hoping for a different configuration of the points system (if that's what we're getting)...

3 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Hopefully the structure is a little different than PP - not because the current one was faulty, but just because doing something just a little new or different keeps things fun and interesting (assuming they get it right the first time ;) )

Here here! :D

And I'm dying to know what the hidden creatures thing is all about...sounds fascinating!

1 hour ago, Saved by God's grace said:

Lucky you!;) (no sarcasm meant--I really am happy for you!) I know a lot of folks (myself included) who had trouble trying to get even the 500--hoping for a different configuration of the points system (if that's what we're getting)...

And I'm dying to know what the hidden creatures thing is all about...sounds fascinating!

I suspect that it was a lot easier for someone that lives in a cache dense area to get to 500 points.  Not so much for those that in areas with very few hides.

I'd rather see effort made towards bug fixing and the many feature requests that have been asked for.  Even though I didn't participate in the planet pursuit promotion there were a couple of times the system was under maintenance and prevented me for accessing it due to the fixes that had to be put in place to address some of the issues with points not being awarded correctly.  Even if one doesn't participate in these promotions, we still are impacted by it.

I just hope they make this promotion more traveler-friendly than last year's. The requirement to have your logs submitted every week didn't work well when combined with the North American summer travel season, because many people don't log their finds until they get home. The previous promotions where you had several weeks in which to log worked much better in this respect. I also hope we're given enough notice as far as the requirements, because I'll be needing to load my GPSr before the start of the promotion and will be travelling when it starts, so I'll need to know which caches to target.

8 hours ago, GO Geiger said:

Based on the image, it looks like we will be caching on DiscWorld.

I was thinking more like Mid-World  (points to anyone who understands this reference)...

See the TURTLE of Enormous Girth
On his shell he holds the Earth.
His thought is slow, but always kind.
He holds us all within his mind.
On his back all vows are made;
He sees the truth but mayn't aid.
He loves the land and loves the sea,
And even loves a child like me.

Edited by J Grouchy

11 hours ago, Saved by God's grace said:

Yep

I overheard our local geocaching guru at an event talking about how difficult it was for them to reach 500 points. They have over 23k finds and I'm pretty sure they've found 99% (if not 100%) of the caches in our home area. So yeah, getting the 500 points would be pretty dang tough for that person. It would basically mandate geocaching-based trips out of town.

Now me, with well under 200 finds under my belt even now, the event was easy street.

9 hours ago, J Grouchy said:

I was thinking more like Mid-World  (points to anyone who understands this reference)...

See the TURTLE of Enormous Girth
On his shell he holds the Earth.
His thought is slow, but always kind.
He holds us all within his mind.
On his back all vows are made;
He sees the truth but mayn't aid.
He loves the land and loves the sea,
And even loves a child like me.

All hail the Crimson King.

On 5/15/2018 at 6:52 PM, Saved by God's grace said:

Howdy y'all,

I don’t know what it’ll be entirely, but I gotta say, I love the look of the turtle. Kinda reminds me of Majora’s Mask.