How to find caches from their GC code?

Korichnovui

So I've seen geocaches referenced on other sites (ie Reddit or YouTube) by their GC code, as if that's all you need to find them yourself on geocaching.com

But if I put the GC code in the search field, it says "sorry no results"

I've tried zooming out to include the whole Earth, thinking maybe it's only searching the caches that are present on the screen, but that doesn't work either

I'm stumped, how does referencing the GC code help you find a particular cache?

If someone says, "check out GC12345," enter GC12345 in the main homepage search box.  BUT - don't just hit enter!  Two dropdown choices will appear, just below the search box.  One takes you directly to "View GC12345" and the other link takes you to search results for all caches around GC12345.

0619fed9-1125-41a0-b263-53d04561730b.jpg

Edited by Keystone
  • Upvote 1

I click on play, then search, then type the GC code. Usually two options appear:

1. Gc... 10 mile radius

2. Gc.... (The cache is the GC code).

That's it. I click on option 2 and go right to the cache page.

Looks like someone was responding the same time as me.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1

I set up a custom search url parser so I can just type GC into the address bar, it'll sense the GC code and push it coord.info/GCXXX, or TB <tbcode> for the trackable page, or U <username> to go to the profile page.

But that doesn't help anyone :)

Quickest way IMO really is just type coord.info/GCCODE and head to the page. as Moun10Bike said.

9 hours ago, Korichnovui said:

So I've seen geocaches referenced on other sites (ie Reddit or YouTube) by their GC code, as if that's all you need to find them yourself on geocaching.com

But if I put the GC code in the search field, it says "sorry no results"

I've tried zooming out to include the whole Earth, thinking maybe it's only searching the caches that are present on the screen, but that doesn't work either

I'm stumped, how does referencing the GC code help you find a particular cache?

Type it into the address bar of a web browser instead of a web address. Or type it into a Google search bar.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Type it into the address bar of a web browser instead of a web address. Or type it into a Google search bar.

Ya, if it's not a brand new cache chances are it'll be findable that way. Even PM caches could be listed. But I've found occasionally that the GC listing isn't always the first hit, so you might need to scan the results a bit.

2 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Ya, if it's not a brand new cache chances are it'll be findable that way. Even PM caches could be listed. But I've found occasionally that the GC listing isn't always the first hit, so you might need to scan the results a bit.

Adding site:geocaching.com after the GC code when searching with Google will ensure that it only searches the geocaching.com site for a GC code.  Since I've got Google set as my default search engine for my browser I can just enter:  GC12345 site:geocaching.com into the address bar and the first result is the cache listing for GC`12345 (yes, that is a real cache).

haha, yeah I guess it would seem normal to allow entering a GC code in the map search box to center on that GC.  I run greasemonkey with the GME extension, which does actually insert that ability. Forgot the basic gc.com map doesn't do that.

Welp, at least you know the main page does. Or the Advanced search page. (both good alternates for a GC landing/home page)  Though it would be convenient if the Dashboard page (intended to be bookmarked) had a search field too... hm. Ah well.