Archived Caches

Zant264

When I started caching I kept a file in Mapsource with all my finds. 

I have not always kept it up and would like to get such a file once again. I do a search for found caches etc, and need to do so for the particular provinces I have cached in. 

The problem is the ones that are now archived as they do not show up in searches. Is there a way to find these? I have close to 1500 finds and probably at least 100 are archived now for various reasons. 

Some were archived because the CO went MIA and I would like to remove what has become geolitter. But I need to know which ones they are and get a GZ to have a look. 

Thanks

I'm not a premium member right now, but I can pull up my find logs here: https://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1&lt=2

I can't make a PQ or export this list, that I can see. But maybe a PM can. Or copy/paste it into a spreadsheet and sort by state/province and/or date of the log.

Isn't there a My Finds PQ or bookmark list?

There's also this list, gotten from your profile: https://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?ul=Zant264

There are some ideas I'm just throwing out there. Maybe someone else will come up with something less random. :)

9 hours ago, Zant264 said:

Some were archived because the CO went MIA and I would like to remove what has become geolitter.

I must advise to be very careful with this. Even if the CO is missing, you can't dispose of her/his cache as if you were claiming ownership. 

Another option to see your found but archived caches is to use project-gc.com's compare maps tool. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Tungstène said:

I must advise to be very careful with this. Even if the CO is missing, you can't dispose of her/his cache as if you were claiming ownership. 

Another option to see your found but archived caches is to use project-gc.com's compare maps tool. 

If a cache has been archived the owner should have already cleaned it up.   If they didn't,  isn't it reasonable to allow someone else to do it?    If a cache owner hasn't retrieved the container within a reasonable period of time haven't they disowned it?     

Now I really don't want to argue about what constitutes "a reasonable period of time" because we all know where that will lead.   I would hope we could all agree that removing these archived caches is a good thing and that indefinitely isn't a reasonable period of time to do it.   

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, justintim1999 said:

If a cache has been archived the owner should have already cleaned it up.   If they didn't,  isn't it reasonable to allow someone else to do it?    If a cache owner hasn't retrieved the container within a reasonable period of time haven't they disowned it?     

Now I really don't want to argue about what constitutes "a reasonable period of time" because we all know where that will lead.   I would hope we could all agree that removing these archived caches is a good thing and that indefinitely isn't a reasonable period of time to do it.   

Yeah...on two different ammo can caches that were archived, I contacted the COs offering to return the ammo can to them.  Neither one even bothered to respond.  I have no problem taking the container over after a couple weeks or months if they couldn't bother even a simple "thank you" response.  In both cases, they were reused as geocaches and I'd even willingly give them back if they decided months or years later that they wanted them.  I won't hold my breath, though.

1 hour ago, J Grouchy said:

Yeah...on two different ammo can caches that were archived, I contacted the COs offering to return the ammo can to them.  Neither one even bothered to respond.  I have no problem taking the container over after a couple weeks or months if they couldn't bother even a simple "thank you" response.  In both cases, they were reused as geocaches and I'd even willingly give them back if they decided months or years later that they wanted them.  I won't hold my breath, though.

The problem here is this notion that, even after the cache has been archived and the owner has been given time to retrieve it,  it's somehow still personal property and some unwritten rule prohibits it's removal...... indefinitely.    Obviously we don't want people snatching up containers 30 minutes after a cache has been archived.  On the other hand a container that's been archived for months should, in my opinion, be allowed to be removed.   

It was easier to advocate for archived cache rescue/cleanup missions prior to the advent of competing listing services.  Some cache owners have a falling-out with Geocaching.com, and decide to list their caches on another platform.  They either archive their Geocaching.com listings, or let the site or its volunteers do it for them.

Imagine the poopstorm if someone removed a container for an archived Geocaching.com listing, but which was still active on OtherSite.com.  These are the last people I'd want to tick off, as they already have a chip on their shoulder by definition.

So, before considering the removal of a physical cache container, consider checking every other listing service, including the obscure ones. 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, The Leprechauns said:

It was easier to advocate for archived cache rescue/cleanup missions prior to the advent of competing listing services.  Some cache owners have a falling-out with Geocaching.com, and decide to list their caches on another platform.  They either archive their Geocaching.com listings, or let the site or its volunteers do it for them.

Imagine the poopstorm if someone removed a container for an archived Geocaching.com listing, but which was still active on OtherSite.com.  These are the last people I'd want to tick off, as they already have a chip on their shoulder by definition.

So, before considering the removal of a physical cache container, consider checking every other listing service, including the obscure ones. 

Good point.  I wonder how people would react if hides listed on Geocaching.com were required to be exclusive?    

16 minutes ago, justintim1999 said:

Good point.  I wonder how people would react if hides listed on Geocaching.com were required to be exclusive?    

Completely unenforceable.

As for those that MAY be listed in multiple services, well if there is no response or maintenance on one, then I'd say the odds are high that NONE of the listings are getting maintained.  

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Tungstène said:

OP, If you remove the cache, hold on to it for a little while. Post a note in the archived cache listing telling the CO that you found the container they archived by never retrieved and have removed it. This also gives a heads up to anyone who like you looks for archived caches. Write in the log note that If they would like the container returned they can arrange a meet-up to have the container returned. Also note that you will hold on to the container for x number of weeks and if not contacted the container will be recycled or disposed of.

I've removed a think about 6 containers, all broken and abandoned. I've left notes. Not one cache owner has ever contacted me. I've stopped bothering to hold on to the containers (they are usually a moldy mess). Now I offer to replace the old container with an authentic Lock&Lock if they contact me. 

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

I've removed a think about 6 containers, all broken and abandoned. I've left notes. Not one cache owner has ever contacted me. I've stopped bothering to hold on to the containers (they are usually a moldy mess). Now I offer to replace the old container with an authentic Lock&Lock if they contact me. 

The ammo cans are usually the only ones worth saving.  I HAVE tossed a few where the original container is completely destroyed or a total mess that nobody in their right mind would want.  In those cases, I do save the log books, though.  

Edited by J Grouchy
  • Upvote 1

Yes I have removed one local to me (10 minutes walk from my condo) when I realized it was archived after numerous "Needs Maintenance"  posts with no CO reply. It was several months and I went out and removed the remains of the cache. The contents I still have and will place them elsewhere but that was already two years ago. I wrote a note saying what I had done and no reply. 

22 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

Go to: https://www.geocaching.com/pocket/

Scroll to the bottom where you will see: 

My Finds

You can receive a Pocket Query containing a list of all the caches you have found, along with your log entries. Running this query will add it to the current queue for the day.

* The Pocket Query can only run once every 3 days.

Click the 'Add to Queue' button.

I will give that a try. Thank you. 

• Upvote 1