Any tips for finding micro geocaches?

jordanfluffystar

Hey,

New person here.    I live in an urban area and most of the geocaches around me are tiny ones, many of the ones I'm trying to do are marked as easy.    I looked in one area geocache location and couldn't find any, I was wondering if you guys had any tips for me to find some in the future?     Any 'common' hiding places?   Any tips in general for my future findings?  

When we first started geocaching we tried to find a micro sized cache whose coordinates were at a lamp post. We literally walked around and around and around saying, "There's nothing here! I don't get it". Until we tried to see if the metal square at the bottom lifted up, and there was the cache. We later learned this is called a skirt lifter, and a very common way to hide urban micros. Just be careful teaching where you can't see!

We've been catching for a long time, and some urban caches still fool us, particularly the flat metal plates that blend in so well! We often overlook them, and laugh when we realize we were fooled again!

Edited by Max and 99
changed popular to common
8 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

When we first started geocaching we tried to find a micro sized cache whose coordinates were at a lamp post. We literally walked around and around and around saying, "There's nothing here! I don't get it". Until we tried to see if the metal square at the bottom lifted up, and there was the cache. We later learned this is called a skirt lifter, and a very popular way to hide urban micros. Just be careful teaching where you can't see!

We've been catching for a long time, and some urban caches still fool us, particularly the flat metal plates that blend in so well! We often overlook them, and laugh when we realize we were fooled again!

Ubiquitous (present, appearing, or found everywhere), certainly, popular (liked, admired, or enjoyed by many people), debatable.

• Upvote 1

It's hard to give tips for finding every micro geocache, as each one is placed differently. The first cache I looked for I had to log a DNF on. I learned later that it was an LPC, meaning that you lift up the lamp post skirt and the cache is under it. I have since found several of them. There are many places where a micro could be hidden - under a lamp post skirt, a magnetic nano attached to a street sign, a plastic container zip-tied to a pine tree branch, et cetera. It depends on the particular cache you're looking for. Don't forget to use the hint if you can't find it.

Get a 3" round extension mirror ( I've tried all types and like it best ).....I've probably used it on 90% of our micro finds. Micro's are not usually in plain sight and you usually have to look over, under, or behind something......it also really saves knees and backs. Along with hat, boots, and hiking stick its always with me.