Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
HunterSamuel

Logged a trackable in the wrong cache

Recommended Posts

I logged a trackable into the wrong cache (caches were next to each other on the map). We're still new to geocaching and caching on our cell. We did place it physically in the correct cache container, but accidently logged (dropped) it online in the cache next to it. Both are on the same bike path.  Any idea how to correct this? Thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post

This happens more than you'd think. You're not alone. :) I'd suggest doing the correcting on a computer and the GC website rather than on the app.

 

If you still have the TB tracking number, you can "retrieve" it from the incorrect cache and "drop" it in the correct one using note logs on the two cache pages.

Some folks keep a notebook with the TB tracking numbers or take a photo of the TB and its number (not to post publicly - don't want to publicize the tracking number!) in case they make mistakes like this. Then they have the number to correct the mistake.

 

If you do not have the TB tracking number anymore, you have three options:

1. Physically go back and correct your mistake (assuming someone else hasn't retrieved the TB already), or

2. Contact the TB owner and explain the situation. They can give you the tracking number so that you can do the above.

3. If you cannot get a response from the TB owner, write a note on the TB's page and on the page of the two caches, explaining that you accidentally logged the TB into Cache A, but you actually dropped it in Cache B. Hopefully the next cacher can fix up the TB's history.

  • Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Always write down the tracking number as soon as you pick up a TB. This is just one case where it can come in handy to have the tracking number after you no longer have the trackable.

 

TriciaG already laid out the options if you don't have the tracking number. People often overlook option 1, going back to physically correct the mistake (or, at least, going back to get the tracking number so you can correct it on-line). I think a lot of people think "I already found all the caches on that bike path," but I think, "I really enjoyed my walk/ride along that bike path, and I'll enjoy doing it again even though I've already found all the caches." Although that's worst case: even better is finding a new walk that ends up at the same place.

Share this post


Link to post

Since we're seeing most trackables with logging errors somewhere, you're far from alone.   :D

Saw you already left a "what do I do now?" log on the trackable page.  That might bring a TO to contact you.

 Similar to TriciaG, if you still have the trackable's code, you can "fix" it online yourself..

I might contact the CO, but for someone who already made one error (not a big one by the way), maybe just giving them the GC# of the cache it's in now may be a better option.  If they care, they'll fix it.

 

You could go back and fix it yourself, but for many the Distance, terrain, time, or the avenue to access again (by kayak is a good example) is difficult to manage a second time around, for something that could easily just be fixed by the next to find it.  :)

 

I don't have a scrapbook, notepad, or anything with the trackable's code in it after I drop it in another cache. 

There are so many instances of others freely giving out lists of codes from trackables that don't belong to them that they've accrued (events mostly), and didn't want anyone to think it's possible of me. 

The other 2/3rd's entire collection is still logged time-to-time years after she "gave a couple friends" a list of her trackable codes.

Most in my area know I drop and forget it.  Few here keep track or watch trackables not theirs after they've dropped it as well.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

TriciaG

4 hours ago, TriciaG said:

This happens more than you'd think. You're not alone. :) I'd suggest doing the correcting on a computer and the GC website rather than on the app.

 

If you still have the TB tracking number, you can "retrieve" it from the incorrect cache and "drop" it in the correct one using note logs on the two cache pages.

Some folks keep a notebook with the TB tracking numbers or take a photo of the TB and its number (not to post publicly - don't want to publicize the tracking number!) in case they make mistakes like this. Then they have the number to correct the mistake.

 

If you do not have the TB tracking number anymore, you have three options:

1. Physically go back and correct your mistake (assuming someone else hasn't retrieved the TB already), or

2. Contact the TB owner and explain the situation. They can give you the tracking number so that you can do the above.

3. If you cannot get a response from the TB owner, write a note on the TB's page and on the page of the two caches, explaining that you accidentally logged the TB into Cache A, but you actually dropped it in Cache B. Hopefully the next cacher can fix up the TB's history.

I think you have it in a nut shell , If all the above fails , hopeully the next cache to find will pull the TB back in line , 

I which I'd had / new about the forum when I first started , as I too dropped the wrong Geo Coin in the  cache , the only thing I could think to do was drive back and physically walk back to the cache and take out the wrong coin and put in the right one , the one I'd electronically dropped .

If you log on a lap top / PC , you can some times type the first letter of the code and if you've typed it ( on that PC ) it may just do a drop down of code's you have typed in before , worth a try 

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you everyone for the great advice and wonderful support! I don't feel so bad now. And thank you Tricia! I followed your instructions and dropped it in the correct cache. Thankfully I took a photo of the trackable with its tracking number facing up. Phew! 

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, little-leggs said:

TriciaG

I think you have it in a nut shell , If all the above fails , hopeully the next cache to find will pull the TB back in line , 

I which I'd had / new about the forum when I first started , as I too dropped the wrong Geo Coin in the  cache , the only thing I could think to do was drive back and physically walk back to the cache and take out the wrong coin and put in the right one , the one I'd electronically dropped .

If you log on a lap top / PC , you can some times type the first letter of the code and if you've typed it ( on that PC ) it may just do a drop down of code's you have typed in before , worth a try 

20 hours ago, little-leggs said:


If you log on a lap top / PC , you can some times type the first letter of the code and if you've typed it ( on that PC ) it may just do a drop down of code's you have typed in before , worth a try 


 

I noticed that the tracking number came up when putting in the first letter!

 

Edited by HunterSamuel

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:33 AM, HunterSamuel said:

Thank you everyone for the great advice and wonderful support! I don't feel so bad now. And thank you Tricia! I followed your instructions and dropped it in the correct cache. Thankfully I took a photo of the trackable with its tracking number facing up. Phew! 

I love the fact that you care so much about someone else's travel bug.   This is a great quality to have as a geocacher.  

 

 “We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.”   Bob Ross. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2

×