message center shinanigans ?

cerberus1

Today I got a "message" with a link from a locked member with no finds/hides.

"Hello my name is (might be female) I come across your profile and became interested, contact me to my email address for important discussion, Here is my email address (a link) ".

- Some kid gets one of these, then what?

This is the second or third now.  I don't use the message center.    Didn't know I was this popular.  :D

I don't get messages like this  on my old Hotmail account, that some won't allow now...

Just some Russian dude (.ru) with a scheme, a chick avatar and a script to send spam through the system.  I reported it, and likely so did a few hundred others.

In my case, it was via the email system.  Yours via the message center?

Somebody reply and see what they want.  I'm curious.  Just not that curious.

PS, I googled for the email address (part before @, in quotes), and got a lot of results from dating sites.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Upvote 1

I got two of them via the email system. By the time I checked the account had already been locked so I presumed TPTB had already pounced. The Help Centre Contact form doesn't seem to have an applicable category for reporting something like this, the nearest I could see was Geocacher Disagreement - Other, but I'm not sure if that's really the right place.

1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

By the time I checked the account had already been locked so I presumed TPTB had already pounced.

I guess you're right, but having locked the account they should also have erased all messages sent by that account from the message system, leaving those messages in the system still leaves the phishing line which might lure some unsuspecting person into the net. I accept they wouldn't be able to do about the Emails as they've already left Groundspeak's systems.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

I got two of them via the email system. By the time I checked the account had already been locked so I presumed TPTB had already pounced. The Help Centre Contact form doesn't seem to have an applicable category for reporting something like this, the nearest I could see was Geocacher Disagreement - Other, but I'm not sure if that's really the right place.

That's what I used. Provided full details (including copy/paste of message and the URL of the message). I got a quick reply quite soon after the auto-reply message. :)

• Upvote 1