having web links in the long description

in another thread, Bon Echo said:

I read somewhere (and could be wrong) that with website indexing (for search engines like Google), the number of links to a page influences the rank a page is given in terms of importance. So what you need to do is add links between your waymark listings. Here's an example where one waymark listings references (via hyperlink) some others that are at the same location:

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMXK0Z_Battle_of_Stoney_Creek_War_of_1812_Stoney_Creek_Ontario

I have had a waymark rejected (declined maybe, or the web site would not allow me to save it) because of having a web address in the long description. Is this just because I was not using HTML??

2 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

I have had a waymark rejected (declined maybe, or the web site would not allow me to save it) because of having a web address in the long description. Is this just because I was not using HTML??

The quick answer is, "I don't think so". Years ago, I believe we had included URLs in the LD without HTML and had no issues. But that was several years ago, so I can't be certain of that.

Did the rejection include a decline message?

Keith

1 hour ago, BK-Hunters said:

The quick answer is, "I don't think so". Years ago, I believe we had included URLs in the LD without HTML and had no issues. But that was several years ago, so I can't be certain of that.

Did the rejection include a decline message?

Keith

ummm, I've slept since then. I don't remember what waymark, if it was rejected automatically by the site, or if I did submit it and it was declined. If it ever happens again, I'll ask about it right away while I know what I'm asking about.

17 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

I add links (without HTML) all the time in my WMs and see many that do the same (I'd say most waymarks that I look at include links, particularly to cite sources). If you paste a URL into the Long Description (including the protocol, usually http or https) and you are not adding html tags, then it is automatically converted to a hyperlink with the text (visit link). And for fun I linked to my newest waymark where I three links without html formatiing.

There would be few reasons to reject a listing because of a link in the long description. It would have to be a completely inappropriate link.

Or, maybe it was just an officer having a bad day.

Now if the link was pasted into one of the variables, it might be rejected by the system based solely on format.

I once had a waymark declined with a web address in the people-named places category because web addresses can become redundant and no longer worked and the relevant information would be lost.

They asked me to add a text description as well as the link and it was then accepted.

I have see way marks where an address no longer works, so I Guess they have a point.