Unpublishing an Event

My question is more directed to Groundspeak, but i cannot seem to find a blog for them.  Why did Groundspeak unpublish event cache GC7MX8K?   It was scheduled for May 12, 2018 in the Minneapolis, MN area.  From what I can decipher from FB is they (Groundspeak)  decided it was best for the game to unpublish this event.  How is this helping the geocaching game?

Edited by Keystone
  • Upvote 1

I split off this post from another thread, where it was off-topic.

Caches may be archived if they do not meeting the Listing Guidelines.  If the cache hasn't been found yet - which includes an event cache that hasn't occurred yet - a cache can also be "unpublished."  (The technical term is "retracted.")

The event you referenced was retracted because it did not meet the listing guidelines for event caches.  Geocaching Events cannot be added to an existing non-geocaching event.   Event Caches are for geocachers - not to promote an indie band concert, a ham radio fest, a garage sale, etc.  A good rule of thumb is:  if there was no Geocaching Event Cache, would the other activity still take place?  If the answer is yes, then it's not really a geocaching event.

• Upvote 3
9 hours ago, Keystone said:

I split off this post from another thread, where it was off-topic.

Caches may be archived if they do not meeting the Listing Guidelines.  If the cache hasn't been found yet - which includes an event cache that hasn't occurred yet - a cache can also be "unpublished."  (The technical term is "retracted.")

The event you referenced was retracted because it did not meet the listing guidelines for event caches.  Geocaching Events cannot be added to an existing non-geocaching event.   Event Caches are for geocachers - not to promote an indie band concert, a ham radio fest, a garage sale, etc.  A good rule of thumb is:  if there was no Geocaching Event Cache, would the other activity still take place?  If the answer is yes, then it's not really a geocaching event.

Can Exceptions be made when there is a CITO. Example - City council organizes a clean-up of a certain area and asks local Geocachers to take part.

10 hours ago, Keystone said:

A good rule of thumb is:  if there was no Geocaching Event Cache, would the other activity still take place?  If the answer is yes, then it's not really a geocaching event.

so basically, any geocaching event that would include eat/drink would not be a geocaching event, since most all of us eat and drink without a "geocaching event cache" and therefore should not be published as an event.  will await the mass unpublishing of all events where eating or drinking is listed.:P

In this case I suspect that it was being held in conjunction with a Munzee Event.

Alimagnet Park Greet, Eat and TB swap.

Co-exist with another Geo-location based game.
Start time 12:30pm
End time 1:30pm (group photo)

Here's your chance to meet local players and players from out-of-state. Bring trackables with you, sure to be a big hit. Event held rain or shine. 

I was looking forward to this Event...

Will it be Rescheduled for a different day?

Will the Caches be Archived, or can we still find/Log them ?

Are you telling me to "STAY AWAY from Alimagnet Park on THIS day" ? !

I don't get it...

How is this Good ?

WHY is this Bad ?

Who is being Punished ? ... ME ???

: o(

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, thelanes said:

My question is more directed to Groundspeak, but i cannot seem to find a blog for them.  Why did Groundspeak unpublish event cache GC7MX8K?   It was scheduled for May 12, 2018 in the Minneapolis, MN area.  From what I can decipher from FB is they (Groundspeak)  decided it was best for the game to unpublish this event.  How is this helping the geocaching game?

A couple of years ago I posted a will attend log for an event in Cancun.  It was the same night that I would be staying in a hotel there enroute to Cuba and I chose a hotel  partially based upon it's proximity to the event.  The day before the event I got a message from the event creator indicating that he was not going to make and was going to cancel it.  Apparently the flight he was going to take from France was cancelled.  I offered to "host" the event myself  but he just unpublished the event.  I did find a cache that was very close to the location where the event was to take place though.

21 hours ago, WRASLN said:

I was looking forward to this Event...

Will it be Rescheduled for a different day?

Will the Caches be Archived, or can we still find/Log them ?

It seems there is a gathering at that time and place and you can certainly attend.  You won't log it on Geocaching.com however.

Reschedule would be up to an event host. 

Any caches in the area are not impacted by the event happening  or not happening. 

No one is being punished. The listing did not meet Geocaching.com's listing guidelines, so it was "unpublished". 

Edited by Isonzo Karst
7 hours ago, Keystone said:

Yes, the guidelines for CITO Events are different, empowering geocachers to partner with other organizations who have events to clean up our environment.

Interesting.

A friend of mine had a recent cito turned down by a reviewer precisely because the page stated that the tree planting day was was in association with a local council group.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, hal-an-tow said:

Interesting.

A friend of mine had a recent cito turned down by a reviewer precisely because the page stated that the tree planting day was was in association with a local council group.

Reading the Reviewer Note, it sounds like a simple misunderstanding.  The gist of the Reviewer Note was the fact that the date they had on the Listing page did not coincide with the actual work being done.  Sounds like the Reviewer was asking for some clarification, and instead of having a conversation regarding the conflict, the Host(ess) preferred to Archive the Listing.  Seems like a little perseverance would have resolved the issue, and cleared up any misunderstanding.

As Keystone pointed out, the Guidelines and guidance regarding CITO Events has evolved over the years, and more flexibility is allowed nowadays, regarding concurrent clean up activities open to the general public, that in past years.

• Upvote 3

CITO guidance has changed through the years. It  has allowed CITO listings as part of other clean-ups for a long time (forever?). My first CITO listing asked for help with the Florida Trail Association workday (with prices for stay at nearby hotel!). Reviewer comment, "published".

For a time the CITO guidelines asked for a separate work area for cachers if part of a larger clean-up. I struggled with this when trying to post a CITO to help with tree planting in 2012.  

Now the CITO guideline says, " When partnering with an organization, the event must have a separate sign-in area so geocachers can meet before they start the work."

• Upvote 1
On 5/9/2018 at 7:37 AM, BulldogBlitz said:
On 5/8/2018 at 9:21 PM, Keystone said:

A good rule of thumb is:  if there was no Geocaching Event Cache, would the other activity still take place?  If the answer is yes, then it's not really a geocaching event.

so basically, any geocaching event that would include eat/drink would not be a geocaching event, since most all of us eat and drink without a "geocaching event cache" and therefore should not be published as an event.  will await the mass unpublishing of all events where eating or drinking is listed.:P

Your pedantry would almost work, except you trimmed out the part that makes your post nonsense.

On 5/8/2018 at 9:21 PM, Keystone said:

The event you referenced was retracted because it did not meet the listing guidelines for event caches.  Geocaching Events cannot be added to an existing non-geocaching event.   Event Caches are for geocachers - not to promote an indie band concert, a ham radio fest, a garage sale, etc.

It's pretty clear that the word "activity" you quoted in Keystone's post refers to "an existing non-geocaching event" and not any activity other than geocaching.  You keep splitting them hairs, though.  Just don't try to publish a hair-splitting geocaching event, 'cause by your own argument, you can't.  :laughing:

Edited by hzoi
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, hzoi said:

Your pedantry would almost work, except you trimmed out the part that makes your post nonsense.

It's pretty clear that the word "activity" you quoted in Keystone's post refers to "an existing non-geocaching event" and not any activity other than geocaching.  You keep splitting them hairs, though.  Just don't try to publish a hair-splitting geocaching event, 'cause by your own argument, you can't.  :laughing:

I guess eating isn't an event with which you partake.  duly noted.

19 hours ago, Nomex said:

Reading the Reviewer Note, it sounds like a simple misunderstanding.  The gist of the Reviewer Note was the fact that the date they had on the Listing page did not coincide with the actual work being done.  Sounds like the Reviewer was asking for some clarification, and instead of having a conversation regarding the conflict, the Host(ess) preferred to Archive the Listing.  Seems like a little perseverance would have resolved the issue, and cleared up any misunderstanding.

As Keystone pointed out, the Guidelines and guidance regarding CITO Events has evolved over the years, and more flexibility is allowed nowadays, regarding concurrent clean up activities open to the general public, that in past years.

I believe your investigation may have latched on to the wrong cito by the right C.O., who I know initially submitted a listing for a tree planting which they told me got turned down by the reviewer . They specifically said that the reviewer cited as a reason that it was to take place alongside a local non caching environmental group,

The same CO then successfully submitted another cito at a later date, this time a rubbish picking one, which had to be archived just before the day due to all the rubbish being under an unexpected fall of snow . CO re-arranged for a later date, submitted a new listing, I imagine that may be the event to which you are referring..

Or maybe you are looking at a different CO ?!