FTF icon on App/website map

toro55

I was wondering why the Geocaching map on the website or app does not have a symbol for caches that have not been found yet(FTF)?  My friend uses the cachly app and the map will have a little flag indicating that it has not been found yet.  When that cache is found then it reverts to a normal geocache icon.  Any thoughts on this?

I had a whole response typed up, only to discover that I read your post wrong. LOL! You're not requesting a FTF icon on caches where you are FTF; you're requesting (or asking about) an icon highlighting unfound caches.

Seems like a lot of programming work for a side game that Groundspeak doesn't support much. Notice there's little/no functionality to keep track of your FTFs or see what FTFs others have. *shrug*

• Upvote 2

Even if that were implemented, it wouldn't necessarily mean a cache shown on the map as unfound hasn't already been found. Not everyone logs their finds on the spot with their phone, and even for those that do, there are lots of caches in places with no phone coverage.

It also seems the map on the app doesn't update in real time. I re-enabled a disabled cache in the field the other day after replacing a missing waypoint, but the app still showed it as disabled for an hour or so afterwards.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Even if that were implemented, it wouldn't necessarily mean a cache shown on the map as unfound hasn't already been found. Not everyone logs their finds on the spot with their phone, and even for those that do, there are lots of caches in places with no phone coverage.

I bet this feature would be an effective way to stir up more drama though...

• Upvote 1

Doubtful that the site would go through the work to support a FTF side-game they don't seem much interested in now

Most times I don't use, or even carry a phone.  I head to the woods to get away from that carp.  When I do, I still don't log in the field. 

How would that cachly app  know I found eight caches three hours before I finally get back home?  We know a bunch that don't log when they're on vacation too.   Folks heading to it in the meantime will get to experience the way we used to play that side-game before phones were the norm, and realize everything isn't handed to 'em.    ;)

12 hours ago, toro55 said:

Any thoughts on this?

Now that you know that "flag" isn't really accurate at all, how do you feel about that particular app function now ?   :)

On 5/8/2018 at 1:30 AM, toro55 said:

Any thoughts on this?

Just one - if I ever decide I want this, I'll start using Cachly.  I don't need it here.

19 hours ago, The Magna Defender said:

Ftfs are just for those people with too much time on their hands 

?

You don't say...

IMG_20180508_143007.png

Edited by hzoi
  • Funny 1