Can I Reassign/Unregister Travel Bugs?

MJ_GG_Allin

If you were able to register it, it was probably left as "swag" and it was meant to be kept by whoever traded for it. Remember, trade up, trade even, or don't trade at all. :)

If not, it might be hard to find out who put it there, unless there is mention of it in the logs on the cache page, in which case you could email, or message them through their profile page and ask if they left it unregistered on purpose. Some people have not, when they wished they had, but didn't know, so it is nice to ask, but it's also mire rare than someone leaving it as swag. Do you have a link to the cache page? You can message it to me, if you'd like me to research what I can. Or you can research it. Up to you. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Eartha said:

If you were able to register it, it was probably left as "swag" and it was meant to be kept by whoever traded for it. Remember, trade up, trade even, or don't trade at all. :)

If not, it might be hard to find out who put it there, unless there is mention of it in the logs on the cache page, in which case you could email, or message them through their profile page and ask if they left it unregistered on purpose. Some people have not, when they wished they had, but didn't know, so it is nice to ask, but it's also mire rare than someone leaving it as swag. Do you have a link to the cache page? You can message it to me, if you'd like me to research what I can. Or you can research it. Up to you. 

The owner actually pinged me:  "Hi! Could you check the geotag you registered on April 21st? My son purchased <tracking code removed by moderator> so that he could complete his BSA merit badge, but it seems to have been registered by you. I know the system is somewhat 'accident prone.' Was hoping you could 'unregister' the tag or give us access to it so that he can complete the merit badge."

Edited by Rock Chalk
Tracking code removed

All I see is two  patches in your inventory, both with a release date of 21 April,  with a goal and description filled out on both. 

Odd  (if that's it - "local heroes" - since you say you found it in a note) that it would be a patch as well (the other a centennial games patch).

The link on your posted Note (Not a Retrieve from a cache)  just puts me on a map, so couldn't figure what cache it might have come from either to help.

It wouldn't be the first time we've seen unactivated trackables left as swag, we do it sometimes as well.  Couple dozen TBs left and around a hundred coins (all unactivated), we sometimes leave 'em in caches that are much further than forty feet from a parking lot.

10 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

All I see is two  patches in your inventory, both with a release date of 21 April,  with a goal and description filled out on both. 

Odd  (if that's it - "local heroes" - since you say you found it in a note) that it would be a patch as well (the other a centennial games patch).

The link on your posted Note (Not a Retrieve from a cache)  just puts me on a map, so couldn't figure what cache it might have come from either to help.

It wouldn't be the first time we've seen unactivated trackables left as swag, we do it sometimes as well.  Couple dozen TBs left and around a hundred coins (all unactivated), we sometimes leave 'em in caches that are much further than forty feet from a parking lot.

Yes, I found them BOTH on 21 April.  One was found in Gabrielle's Gold and the other in Now Go Home!

When I went to log them, it asked me to register them - and me, never having found a trackable before, just registered them.  It's Travel Bug Dog Tag that I'm trying to unregsiter now.

6 minutes ago, MJ_GG_Allin said:

Yes, I found them BOTH on 21 April.  One was found in Gabrielle's Gold and the other in Now Go Home!

When I went to log them, it asked me to register them - and me, never having found a trackable before, just registered them.  It's Travel Bug Dog Tag that I'm trying to unregsiter now.

You'll have to go through trackable Adoptions to give it back to them.   Good luck.