Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
bmwman

Capacity of Etrex 10?

Recommended Posts

My Etrex 10 currently has 36 caches on its list, does anybody know what the maximum capacity is, please?

 

John

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you, that's quite a lot more than I expected; certainly enough to keep me going at Blackpool next month!

 

It also means that I don't need to take my baby Acer PC.

 

Thanks again, and good hunting, from John, in sunny Staffordshire.

Share this post


Link to post

In reality my Etrex 10 only held about 350 Geocaches with all descriptions, hints, attributes, last 5 logs etc. The 2000 quoted caches may not be GPX files but the other type. I don't recall the file extension but someone here will know.

Share this post


Link to post

You mean GGZ? That's not supported by the eTrex 10. The theoretical limit of GGZ is 4,000,000 caches.

 

The real limitation is the number of waypoints: 1,000. This means an average of only half a waypoint per cache.

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/8/2018 at 11:18 PM, StefandD said:

You mean GGZ? That's not supported by the eTrex 10. The theoretical limit of GGZ is 4,000,000 caches.

 

The real limitation is the number of waypoints: 1,000. This means an average of only half a waypoint per cache.

It may have been .loc files I was thinking of.

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, colleda said:

It may have been .loc files I was thinking of.

I don't know of any Garmin handheld that can directly support a .loc file. Perhaps you're thinking of the .gpx file limit? The eTrex 10 can only read 500 .gpx files, so loading caches one at a time will exhaust this limit before reaching the 2000 geocache limit.

 

Edited by Mineral2

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

I don't know of any Garmin handheld that can directly support a .loc file. Perhaps you're thinking of the .gpx file limit? The eTrex 10 can only read 500 .gpx files, so loading caches one at a time will exhaust this limit before reaching the 2000 geocache limit.

 

I'm not really au fait with the tech side of GPSrs so I can accept that. From the beginning I've been PM and always load from GSAK. Just from my experience 350 seemed the practical limit and if I wasn't regularly traveling to other countries I may ahve been still using the 10 instead of the 20 I have now. At the moment we are cruising up the Danube and I have 3100 caches loaded on the 20.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1

×