Best Swag

1 hour ago, aer72 said:

obscure or unexpected

I’ve found a lot of stuff in caches that were likely not supposed to be there. It was definitely unexpected to open up that lock n lock to find it filled with ants attacking a piece of candy that someone wrongfully left. This one is a serious pet peeve of mine, especially because I own caches in bear country. Luckily it was just ants waiting to surprise me this time.

I’ve also found condoms and tampons/pads. “Family friendly” just doesn’t seem to click with some I suppose.

Aside from that, I haven’t really found anything too crazy... and I think I’d like to keep it that way lol.

7 hours ago, Rapaladude said:

I’ve found a lot of stuff in caches that were likely not supposed to be there. It was definitely unexpected to open up that lock n lock to find it filled with ants attacking a piece of candy that someone wrongfully left. This one is a serious pet peeve of mine, especially because I own caches in bear country. Luckily it was just ants waiting to surprise me this time.

I’ve also found condoms and tampons/pads. “Family friendly” just doesn’t seem to click with some I suppose.

Aside from that, I haven’t really found anything too crazy... and I think I’d like to keep it that way lol.

"Oh yum! Some stranger left a piece of candy in the cache! I call dibs."   Said no one, ever.

No one would ever eat it, so why leave it? Plus the ant issue, of course.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

No one would ever eat it, so why leave it?

I completely agree with you on that, but it’s usually new players that don’t know the rules and don’t know that caches generally aren’t found or checked on every day. I never did that when I was new, but still, I never see anyone that’s been playing for a long time make the same mistake.

A few years back, canal caching in UK, we found a locknlock type container that had a broken clip. We opened it up and found two huge, green, slimey slugs had made it their home.

However, word must have gotten around the slug world that caches make good homes because, in a park in Colchester, we found a pine cone cache in a tree hollow where a slug had made its home in the slightly rotted pine cone.

• Upvote 1
On 5/6/2018 at 8:27 PM, Max and 99 said:

"Oh yum! Some stranger left a piece of candy in the cache! I call dibs."   Said no one, ever.

I don't understand why anyone puts anything in a cache that intended to have one's mouth on it (whistles, cups, straws, etc.).  People do, though.

• Upvote 2
On 5/6/2018 at 7:27 PM, Max and 99 said:

Never say never, I've seen it happen.

• Upvote 1
On 5/8/2018 at 11:08 AM, J Grouchy said:

I don't understand why anyone puts anything in a cache that intended to have one's mouth on it (whistles, cups, straws, etc.).  People do, though.

Or, better yet, band-aids/bandages.  Because a container in the woods makes for the best sterile environment.

• Upvote 1
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:08 AM, J Grouchy said:

We put ocarina whistle/flutes (in thick bags) in caches, and found they were a bigger hit than break-your-own geodes,  realbug  keychains. and balsa airplanes.

Kazoos and others (in the same bags...) didn't fare as well, so maybe a swag quality thing.

On 5/10/2018 at 11:37 AM, hzoi said:

Or, better yet, band-aids/bandages.  Because a container in the woods makes for the best sterile environment.

That may not be so bad. I’ve severely cut myself while caching before. If the cache I was retrieving had a bandage that was completely sealed and didn’t have water damage, I would definitely use it. 

Come to think of it, I’ve actually found a used bandage in a cache before. Disgusting... man, why’d you have to remind me of that???

In the past I've stocked my caches with old 8 track tapes that I'll find at auctions/garage sales etc. 

They always go over quite well because who wouldn't want to find a Elvis in Hawaii, or an Elton John Captain Fantastic 8 track in a cache. 

They may no longer be usable, but people get a kick out of them. 

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, R.O.B said:

In the past I've stocked my caches with old 8 track tapes that I'll find at auctions/garage sales etc. 

They always go over quite well because who wouldn't want to find a Elvis in Hawaii, or an Elton John Captain Fantastic 8 track in a cache. 

They may no longer be usable, but people get a kick out of them.

I feel the same way about foreign coins or small denomination bills.  For example, I've got a bunch of 1 Yuan bills from China.  Monetarily they're worth abou 15 cents each US, but the novelty aspect may have greater value to someone trading for one in a cache.   I typically always bring back small coins or bills when I travel.  Some go into a box that I'll reach into occasionally for swag.  Others go into another box, which I might use if I ever travel to that location again.  For example, I brought back a dozen or so Kenyan coins (some are are worth keeping if I go back) and probably about 7 Euro (which I most certainly may use) about about 15 UK pounds.  The small denomination coins went into my foreign currency swag box.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I feel the same way about foreign coins or small denomination bills.  For example, I've got a bunch of 1 Yuan bills from China.  Monetarily they're worth abou 15 cents each US, but the novelty aspect may have greater value to someone trading for one in a cache.   I typically always bring back small coins or bills when I travel.  Some go into a box that I'll reach into occasionally for swag.  Others go into another box, which I might use if I ever travel to that location again.  For example, I brought back a dozen or so Kenyan coins (some are are worth keeping if I go back) and probably about 7 Euro (which I most certainly may use) about about 15 UK pounds.  The small denomination coins went into my foreign currency swag box.

I love finding foreign coins. I have my Dad's coin collection after he passed away. He did a fair bit of travelling around. Nothing worth a lot, just cool to look at.

1 hour ago, Wet Pancake Touring Club said:

I love finding foreign coins. I have my Dad's coin collection after he passed away. He did a fair bit of travelling around. Nothing worth a lot, just cool to look at.

Me too.  I always swap for foreign or old coins if I find any in a cache.  The kids find them interesting too. :)

I’ve found all kinds of things; LEGO people, matchbox cars, ceramic hearts, spades, diamonds that are probably hand made, patches, personalized wood geo-coins, plastic bugs, slap bracelets.

The last several have been micro caches but I put in little compasses, mini geocoins, those mini geocache green bricks, patches and pins to exchange. I’m not talented so I can’t do hand made items (I think I like those the best though). I haven’t run into any travel bugs, or released any yet since I’m still new. I like to take pictures of the swag in a cache, it’s fun to look back on. But living in the southern desert when it’s  117° in August I have to think about the swag surviving! 

As for anything super weird- nothing yet- but I’ll keep you posted! :D