Central Oregon Geocachers (COGEO)

Mr. Snazz

Hey, it rhymes icon_smile.gif

I've gone ahead and registered the domain name cogeo.org for the purpose of organizing central oregon geocaching info/events/etc.

If anybody has suggestions or would like to provide some content, please feel free to contact me.

I'm currently planning on having the following available on the site:

* State Park geocaching information for the region

* Tips for the various outdoor environments

* Cache ranking system (best views, roughest roads, etc)

* Possibly a message board and/or a realtime chat system

* e-mail forwarding (eg. you@cogeo.org would forward to your regular e-mail addr)

Thoughts? Input? icon_biggrin.gif

snazzsig.jpg

Do you run an internet service of some sort? This is like a dream come true! I don't know what all I can contribute, other than I am online ALL the time when not geocaching! I also have been having fun with graphics, and think I have a little bit of an eye for it. Maps are more my thing, but this digital camera work is way fun! Navdog is my hero!

Maybe one of the first things we could do is find out all the agencies of places there are CO caches and either define their policy or figure out a system of getting ahold of them. We can be progressive in how we do this, so that we don't give geocaching a bigger black eye than it has had recently. I would also like to have some get togethers, maybe create a group name and place caches under that name, perhaps COGEO or something. I like that by the way!

I think the idea about sharing hints is grand. I have one already for a good deal on glossy photo paper. Well, since we live in the toolies, I hate paying top dollar for good glossy paper, that comes in the 8 pack for $10. icon_rolleyes.gif Well this week I saw that Bi-Mart is carrying a more generic brand (Hammermill) I think, and it is 20 sheets for 2.99. Way better!! They also have regular bond and canvas paper for around the same price. icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe something cool would be if we could have a logo contest for COGEO and see what folks come up with. I am not sure how you would judge it, or who would, but just a thought. Maybe on cache pages or member pages we could include the logo as an affiliated with type thing.

PS Snazz what happened to your old photo? I liked to see your grin! Now it is your backside walkin away! (or someone elses) LOL

I have some servers at home, I use them for my business and my personal website. My bandwidth isn't fantastic, but its adequate for my purposes icon_smile.gif

Finding out the responsible agencies would be a good thing, I think. I'm sure there are going to be more than a few cases where caches aren't welcome, but its probably better for geocaching overall to bring the area "up to code". From logscaler's posts, it sounds like the state parks people in this area are reasonable. I've talked with one BLM ranger (in person, at the Redmond caves) who had heard about caching and was all for it. It would be good to get that all sorted out.

A logo contest is a good idea icon_biggrin.gif

Hopefully we'll get an idea over the next few weeks as to how many people are interested in a more organized local caching community.

As for my avatar, it was more of a grimmace than a smile in the old photo; I had just hiked up the hard way (from the south side) at The Corral, and hadn't brought water. Ahh, ignorance icon_smile.gif

snazzsig.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

Thoughts? Input? icon_biggrin.gif

Now's a good time to do this. Thanks for taking it on. I haven't got any brilliant ideas but I'll chew on it. In the meantime, let me know if you need help writing or imaging anything.

Doesn't COGEO stand for Computational Geophysics?

quote:
Originally posted by bigeddy:

Doesn't COGEO stand for Computational Geophysics?

Probably icon_smile.gif I think it sounds neat though. I find that it helps sometimes to stick a name on things, to get things going; if we elect to change it later, no biggie icon_wink.gif

When I lived in Portland, the macintosh user's group was called PMUG... probably trademarked by a urinalysis company icon_biggrin.gif

snazzsig.jpg

So if they started something like this in North-Eastern Oregon... would they be NEO GEO? Darn... the websites already taken. This sounds like a great idea, and with some of the posts about friction between parks & cachers, I think it would give a positive outlet for open compunication. Kudos, guys... I hope it works out well for you.

quote:
Originally posted by gapertimmy:

PHPBB!!! i think a bbs would be great, this board is great and all, but it would be nice to have our own little slice.

Hah, that's too funny; I just installed phpBB on the site icon_biggrin.gif

The domain might not resolve yet, it *just* started resolving for me over my bendcable connection. If it does, feel free to sign on up for the forums icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

I think some custom queries setup to pull local cahce content over would be pretty nice as well.

Yup, I'm going to look into pulling info from the daily "pocket queries" for the site. Should be easy as pie, they're in XML.

snazzsig.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Zzzoey:

Don't do what I did. You end up at some french site with a much too happy anime-looking geek cartoon. icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I do sortof like their COGEO logo though. icon_biggrin.gif

Its actually sort of a cool french-language geography learning site. Take the "Les Etats-Unis" test and quiz your geography. I got 9/10!

icon_biggrin.gif