Musuems - or Pay to Waymark

Okay, I admit it, I've been Waymarking since this little game began back in 05 and I do not have the requirements for all 1112 categories memorized - nope - not at all.  There are about 50 or 60 that I will waymark consistently and about another 30 that I officer for that I know.  The others I kinda wing it with what I think what would I want if I was an officer.  That said...

I like a good museum, I really do!  I go to them when I can, especially when they are open.  However, it should NOT be a requirement to pay an admission to go into a museum to create a waymark (I'm looking at you Railroad Museums)!  I would have loved to go into the Paducah Railroad Museum, but they were closed.  Even if it HAD been open, I doubt I would have taken pictures inside - sometimes photography is forbidden, believe it or not.  Funny, I checked several of the other museum categories and none of them had the same must go in requirement - hmmm...  

Okay, rant over...  I feel better - Happy Friday everyone!

I agree on the museum issues.

I also object to being required to eat at a McD or any other restaurant in order to visit the waymark. Don't get me wrong-I like McD fries once in a while, but to have to PAY in order to visit every one, means I skip them. Yeah, I know, maybe many people skip them anyway, but that's not the point.

Spending a Euro or two isn't a problem for me, but you have to EAT(!) there. :o The description says:

To log this "WayMac", you must have eaten at this particular location. Please enter the items you ordered from this visit in the log description.

The question is: If I order a mineral water and eat an apple, that I bought at the farmers market around the corner, I might break the rules of the McDonalds restaurant (do they allow eating things not bought there?), but I don't break the rules of the Waymarking category, right? :ph34r: Besides, why don't all those church categories require that I have praid in that church? :)

Back to the museum topic: I agree, that it shouldn't be a requirement to have a photo of the interior. I'm not that interested in railroad museums (and neither is my wife), but if I found one that might be interesting for railroad fans, I would love to create a waymark. The admission fee is not my problem, but I consider it to be a waste of time to go through a big museum just to take one photo for a new waymark. The visitors of the waymark will fill the gallery of the waymark anyway, IF taking photos inside is allowed.

2 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Spending a Euro or two isn't a problem for me, but you have to EAT(!) there. :o The description says:

To log this "WayMac", you must have eaten at this particular location. Please enter the items you ordered from this visit in the log description.

The question is: If I order a mineral water and eat an apple, that I bought at the farmers market around the corner, I might break the rules of the McDonalds restaurant (do they allow eating things not bought there?), but I don't break the rules of the Waymarking category, right? :ph34r: Besides, why don't all those church categories require that I have praid in that church? :)

Back to the museum topic: I agree, that it shouldn't be a requirement to have a photo of the interior. I'm not that interested in railroad museums (and neither is my wife), but if I found one that might be interesting for railroad fans, I would love to create a waymark. The admission fee is not my problem, but I consider it to be a waste of time to go through a big museum just to take one photo for a new waymark. The visitors of the waymark will fill the gallery of the waymark anyway, IF taking photos inside is allowed.

I feel like the Chairman on the Iron Chef "If Memory serves me correctly..." I believe the McDonald's category was one of the original ones created by Groundspeak when they converted the locationless geocaches to Waymarking.  Dunno why they felt the need to add the eat requirement at a McDonalds to register a visit.  I can't remember the last time I ate at a McDonalds for something other than breakfast...

4 hours ago, iconions said:

Dunno why they felt the need to add the eat requirement at a McDonalds to register a visit.

At that time, I think the main concern was to prevent "Drive by" Waymarking and Visits. Later, Category creators prevented Drive By Waymarking by requiring more than one photo (Take a photo of the building, AND take a photo of the sign) even though all the signs for that chain restaurant look the same.

We have over 1000 Categories and each has different requirements for Visits. You can't remember what's required for each and neither can I. When I'm taking a walking tour around a historic area there may be over 100 Waymarks in 30 Categories within a block or two. I'm not stopping to do research on what the visit requirements are for each of the 30 Cats. I'll post a photo or two and tell the story of my visit. If I didn't follow the rules, the WM owner can choose to delete my visit. It's their lose. I still enjoyed the tour and have photos to enjoy later.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

At that time, I think the main concern was to prevent "Drive by" Waymarking and Visits. Later, Category creators prevented Drive By Waymarking by requiring more than one photo (Take a photo of the building, AND take a photo of the sign) even though all the signs for that chain restaurant look the same.

We have over 1000 Categories and each has different requirements for Visits. You can't remember what's required for each and neither can I. When I'm taking a walking tour around a historic area there may be over 100 Waymarks in 30 Categories within a block or two. I'm not stopping to do research on what the visit requirements are for each of the 30 Cats. I'll post a photo or two and tell the story of my visit. If I didn't follow the rules, the WM owner can choose to delete my visit. It's their lose. I still enjoyed the tour and have photos to enjoy later.

Exactly! I'm going through some of my old pictures.  It's amazing how many categories a person can get when you started just to go after Historic Register Contributing Buildings.  I've gone back through and found six Lucky 7 so far I was able to post because of all of the different major categories - doesn't count the subcategories!  Anyway, I figure if someone took the time to snap a picture and write a line for a visit to one of my waymars - excellent!

On 5/4/2018 at 6:48 AM, iconions said:

Okay, I admit it, I've been Waymarking since this little game began back in 05 and I do not have the requirements for all 1112 categories memorized - nope - not at all.  There are about 50 or 60 that I will waymark consistently and about another 30 that I officer for that I know.  The others I kinda wing it with what I think what would I want if I was an officer.  That said...

I like a good museum, I really do!  I go to them when I can, especially when they are open.  However, it should NOT be a requirement to pay an admission to go into a museum to create a waymark (I'm looking at you Railroad Museums)!

Happy Sunday to you, Tom.

I believe you are reading more into the Railroad Museums requirements than are actually there:

2. Visit the museum and personally obtain accurate coordinates. These should be taken from the main entrance to the museum...

3. Provide two or more photographs of the museum displaying the museum building front (with the museum name) and a representative sample of railroad objects that comprise the collection. ...

It's not stated that one must actually ENTER the museum, only visit it. Later comes the recommendation that - A photograph of the museum admission ticket is highly encouraged. - ENCOURAGED, but not required.

We often do Waymarking trips early in the year (April and May) and many museums are not yet open for the year. Though we've done 8 RR Museums so far, 4 of them we've not been in, mostly because they were not open, a couple because we, too, didn't want to pay the fee just to Waymark it. BUT, if you look at some of our RR Museum waymarks it will look like we've been inside ones we haven't as we were able to take pix of some of the interiors through a window.

As for providing "a representative sample of railroad objects that comprise the collection", almost all RR museums have a lot of equipment and paraphernalia outside.

So, go out there and get those RR Museums!!! They're free to Waymark!!!

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters
  • Upvote 2
16 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Happy Sunday to you, Tom.

I believe you are reading more into the Railroad Museums requirements than are actually there:

2. Visit the museum and personally obtain accurate coordinates. These should be taken from the main entrance to the museum...

3. Provide two or more photographs of the museum displaying the museum building front (with the museum name) and a representative sample of railroad objects that comprise the collection. ...

It's not stated that one must actually ENTER the museum, only visit it. Later comes the recommendation that - A photograph of the museum admission ticket is highly encouraged. - ENCOURAGED, but not required.

We often do Waymarking trips early in the year (April and May) and many museums are not yet open for the year. Though we've done 8 RR Museums so far, 4 of them we've not been in, mostly because they were not open, a couple because we, too, didn't want to pay the fee just to Waymark it. BUT, if you look at some of our RR Museum waymarks it will look like we've been inside ones we haven't as we were able to take pix of some of the interiors through a window.

As for providing "a representative sample of railroad objects that comprise the collection", almost all RR museums have a lot of equipment and paraphernalia outside.

So, go out there and get those RR Museums!!! They're free to Waymark!!!

Keith

Thanks Keith, and Happy Sunday!  

I would agree, EXCEPT, I had my waymark denied for not having interior photographs.  This one in Paducah had a couple of signs and a bust of the President of the Illinois Central outside.  No rolling stock.  The museum is in an area that got landlocked and they took up the track many years ago.  So, there's that.  I resubmitted it, but no reply as of yet.  We'll see - problem is that, as with a lot of categories, the officers aren't active.  Cheers!

1 hour ago, iconions said:

Thanks Keith, and Happy Sunday!  

I would agree, EXCEPT, I had my waymark denied for not having interior photographs.  This one in Paducah had a couple of signs and a bust of the President of the Illinois Central outside.  No rolling stock.  The museum is in an area that got landlocked and they took up the track many years ago.  So, there's that.  I resubmitted it, but no reply as of yet.  We'll see - problem is that, as with a lot of categories, the officers aren't active.  Cheers!

Well, Tom, initially I was going to say that they were wrong to decline your WM, but I will have to admit that the lack of rolling stock or other artefacts works in their favour.

"3. Provide a ... ... representative sample of railroad objects that comprise the collection" - This is, indeed, a requirement, sad to say.

Nonetheless, I would fight it, just in case. I wish you luck and hope you're victorious!!!

(Though I tell you to fight it, if I were a manager in the category, I would have to decline it for the above quoted reason, so maybe I shouldn't be saying that. Ethical conundrum of my own making.)

Keith

1 hour ago, elyob said:

Taking up a nearby thread, does an unacceptable Railroad Museum qualify as a History Museum?

If it deals with the history of railroading in general or a specific, usually local, railroad, it should. All of mine (acceptable Railroad Museums, that is) have.

Keith

Just now, BK-Hunters said:

Well, Tom, initially I was going to say that they were wrong to decline your WM, but I will have to admit that the lack of rolling stock or other artefacts works in their favour.

"3. Provide a ... ... representative sample of railroad objects that comprise the collection" - This is, indeed, a requirement, sad to say.

Nonetheless, I would fight it, just in case. I wish you luck and hope you're victorious!!!

(Though I tell you to fight it, if I were a manager in the category, I would have to decline it for the above quoted reason, so maybe I shouldn't be saying that. Ethical conundrum of my own making.)

Keith

Yea, my fault that I waymarked a museum on Sunday in a town where the railroad passed it by.  Ah well, in the grand scheme of things - it's one waymark, BUT, I've never waymarked that category before.  Although, wouldn't railroad signage BE a sample of objects that comprise the collection?  A sample is just that  -  signage would be in their collection.  LOL.  Don't get me started and don't make me go get my lawyer niece!  (Although, I still don't think I could afford her even at family rates!)

On 5/5/2018 at 7:41 AM, iconions said:

Dunno why they felt the need to add the eat requirement at a McDonalds to register a visit.  I can't remember the last time I ate at a McDonalds for something other than breakfast...

And on geocaching events at restaurants our reviewer makes us put in a disclaimer that "no food or drink purchase is required." Funny how the rules are different.

• Upvote 1