Problem with search page on Geocaching website

ratman232

Today, when I tried to do a search, the "Filter" button is missing.  When I put a location in the search box, it brings up a map, rather than the list of caches.  If I use United States, Regional Search, the map is around GC HQ.

I have tried on two different computers with the same result - one is running Win10, the other is Win8.

Help.

2 hours ago, MartyBartfast said:

For me there used to be a "Filter" box on the search landing page here  https://www.geocaching.com/play/search which is nolonger there. It's now required to add a location, do a search, then change the filters.

Please put the Filter box back on the search landing page, as it was very useful to be able to search with filters without specifying a location.

I still got the filter button and the filter dialog on that page. There must be more to this.

Hans

Edited by HHL

A very small number of people (~1000) are randomly included in a trial of of a new feature we're developing, and it sounds like you made the cut. Pretty low odds of that but there you go! Buy a lottery ticket today*. More information can be found in our Help Center, including instructions for opting out if you'd prefer to keep the old functionality for now. 

*don't actually play the lottery at my suggestion please

51 minutes ago, OpinioNate said:

A very small number of people (~1000) are randomly included in a trial of of a new feature we're developing, and it sounds like you made the cut. Pretty low odds of that but there you go! Buy a lottery ticket today*. More information can be found in our Help Center, including instructions for opting out if you'd prefer to keep the old functionality for now. 

If a cacher is included in this 'test', then should that cacher see the same thing every time they go to the Search page?  The Filters button is appearing intermittently for me.

25 minutes ago, noncentric said:

If a cacher is included in this 'test', then should that cacher see the same thing every time they go to the Search page?  The Filters button is appearing intermittently for me.

Looks like you found a bug in the test code. We are able to reproduce this on our end. Thank you! That would have affected the results if we didn't catch it. Give us some time and we'll have a fix. 

• Upvote 2
On May 4, 2018 at 9:50 AM, OpinioNate said:

It doesn't appear that I'm one of the "lucky" 1000 so with only the info in this thread, my feedback is if GS is truly thinking of requiring a location search first before the filter button is available, DON'T!  More than half the time I do searches on the page I go directly to the filters without entering a location first. In fact, if you want to make changes to the search page, take all the filters, add a location field and a GC code field and put it all on the front page.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, icezebra11 said:

my feedback is if GS is truly thinking of requiring a location search first before the filter button is available, DON'T!  

Indeed.

It's not clear from the Lackey's responses above whether the bug that we uncovered was that the filter button disappears when it's supposed to remain, or whether the bug is that the filter button comes back when it's supposed to be gone.

If the intention is to remove the filter button from the search landing page then please don't do it.

• Upvote 2
26 minutes ago, MartyBartfast said:

Indeed.

It's not clear from the Lackey's responses above whether the bug that we uncovered was that the filter button disappears when it's supposed to remain, or whether the bug is that the filter button comes back when it's supposed to be gone.

If the intention is to remove the filter button from the search landing page then please don't do it.

Very bold +1

Edited by HHL

I'm still intermittently seeing and not seeing filter on the search page.

To those who are concerned about this, you can simply hit the magnifying glass icon, having entered nothing in the search field, (the site starts trying to spit out all 3 million plus caches)  the filter button appears, immediately,  allowing you to step onto the filter page to search without a location.  It's one extra click. I could live without it, but it's not that horrible either.

If they get the test running properly, I assume they'll learn something useful.

I have the new search map.  I find the filter is now broken out into tabs.  I can handle that.  The tabs work fine.  However, the MORE tab isn't working for me.  Perhaps I am not doing something to make it work properly?   In that MORE tab, you can choose

HIde caches I've found

Hide caches I own

Show disable caches

Show only my solved coordinates

as well as

Name contains

Not found by

None of these work.  If I enter a name into NOT FOUND BY, the name appears as a choice, I can choose it, but then it does nothing.  The map simply hazes over and nothing more happens.