"locking" a milestone?

Korichnovui

If a cache owner deletes one of your Found It logs from way back, it'll shift your milestones. Some people go for special caches on their milestone numbers, so this would throw them all off. They'd rather keep them on these special caches, even if there was some issue with a previous cache causing the numbers to shift.

• Upvote 3

Also, depending on how you enter/edit your logs, logs for the same day may not be displayed in the order in which you found them, even if you originally entered them in the order you found them. In that case, locking your milestones can make sure the correct cache from that day is displayed as the milestone.

• Upvote 2
18 hours ago, TriciaG said:

If a cache owner deletes one of your Found It logs from way back, it'll shift your milestones. Some people go for special caches on their milestone numbers, so this would throw them all off. They'd rather keep them on these special caches, even if there was some issue with a previous cache causing the numbers to shift.

or most commonly if a CO gave you the permission to log because the cache had disappeared. I log the found on the day I went so that shift all the finds I made after that and change the milestone if I didn't lock it.

30 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

or most commonly if a CO gave you the permission to log because the cache had disappeared.

:rolleyes:

Never had that happen to me... If a cache has disappeared it's a clear DNF (and NM)

I do have a bunch of "you can log it as a find ..." mails from CO's but I declined all. ;)

• Upvote 5
7 hours ago, on4bam said:

I do have a bunch of "you can log it as a find ..." mails from CO's but I declined all. ;)

Same here. If it wasn't there to find, then I didn't find it.

There's one local cacher that assumes the opposite and will log a "Found it" even if they admit they didn't find it. They say something like "I'm asking for a find" and put the onus on the CO to delete the find if they don't approve. Sort of like opt-out vs. opt-in. They get a lot of cheap finds on caches where the CO isn't active to delete the find.

• Upvote 2
On 5/4/2018 at 12:41 PM, The A-Team said:

Same here. If it wasn't there to find, then I didn't find it.

There's one local cacher that assumes the opposite and will log a "Found it" even if they admit they didn't find it. They say something like "I'm asking for a find" and put the onus on the CO to delete the find if they don't approve. Sort of like opt-out vs. opt-in. They get a lot of cheap finds on caches where the CO isn't active to delete the find.

that is pitiful lol D:

And to be honest: perhaps you simply miscalculated and the 1000th cache was indeed number 1001 or 999. May happen sometimes.

If you planned a tour with this special cache to be your #1000 you can make it that number and fix this decision even if it is not toally correct. But noone is harmed so who cares?

What I do not understand is that you can enter any (!) cache as milestone even if you haven't found the cache at all. That makes much less sense to me.... (Only reason to do so that comes to my mind would be a mystery cache about your milestones....)

By the way: I usually enjoyed my milestones, #1000, #2000, #3000 and so on. I passed 10.000 finds last year and now I have to wait until 20.000 finds until I reach a new official milestone. Should be every 1000 finds still. I know some cachers with many finds that still celebrate every 100th find - I like it but that is offtopic. :-)