Vancouver (WA) Cache Machine II, June 23, 2018

travisl

Note: circumstances may change after this initial posting. Look for my posts (with the icon13.gif icon) in this thread for all the important details and changes. If you think you've seen this all before, focus on the unique-to-this-event information in red.

(Link to dinner event cache)

Vancouver (not BC)!
Clark County (not Nevada)! 
Washington (not DC)!

It's 29 years older than its Canadian counterpart, 307 miles further south, and chock full of caches.

So fill up the tank, grab your gear, toss down some breakfast at way-too-early o'clock, and start on the route at GC6Z7FK Fishing For a Cache. From there, move at your own pace and get as many as you can.

Dinner's going to be at Sweet Tomatoes, 12601 SE 2nd Circle (N 45° 37.224 W 122° 32.507). Please log your "will attends" on the event page so I can let the restaurant know how many to expect.

Note that some caches on the route map may be marked with a "do not enter" icon icon_disabled.gif. Those cache owners have justifiably asked for their cache to not be on the route, and for the cache to not be sought during the cache machine. The cache is, in the owner's opinion, in a sensitive area, whether it's environmentally unwise, socially sensitive, or physically fragile. Just don't get it. It's not like there's a shortage of caches in the area.

Rules:

1) Follow all traffic laws, and drive safely. This is not a race; there are no winners. The only loser will be someone who gets hurt. When someone asks what you're doing, the right answer is honesty: "geocaching".

2) Respect private property, even if the cache owner didn't. Post your DNFs proudly.

3) One logbook entry for "VCM3" is fine for most small and micros. Don't go filling up the logbook just because you want to mark your territory. 50 people's names and dates will fill up most one-sheets. Be kind and bring extra paper to add to caches with full logbooks.

4) As with all cache machines, if you find the cache, you'll be the one who has to re-hide it. Hide it as well as you found it. Handing it off to someone else and pointing down saying "it goes there" isn't good enough. Don't be a jerk. The extra 45 seconds isn't going to ruin your day.

5) Be gentle. Some cache containers are fragile, delicate, or weather sensitive. Take your time, double check the cache description, do it right.

If you’ve already found a couple of these caches, that’s fine - give us a chance to find the cache, and then we may turn to you for a hint. Suggestions and ''Count me ins'' are welcome on the event page.

----

The Vancouver Machine II FAQ:

When is it? When is the start time?

Saturday, June 23, 2018. Start time is 5:15 a.m at GC6Z7FK Fishing For a Cache.

Will it be one large group, will we be split into teams, or what?

We'll start as one large group, but after a dozen caches or so, the large groups will likely fragment, and on a long day like this, you'll probably be on your own by the time most people in town are waking up. If you want to go off-route to find Munzees, letterboxes, Pokémon, portals, or Starbucks, well, you do you.

Is anything going on before, during, or after?

An unofficial informal they-don't-know-we're-coming pre-event dinner will be at McMenamins on the Columbia, 1801 SE Columbia River Drive. The official event dinner is this event cache.

Hey, there's a cache *right there!* Why aren't we getting that one?

My standard answer here is that I try to avoid most multicaches, most puzzle caches, caches that appear to be overly time consuming, and caches that the owner has asked us to avoid. The route is built around highly-favorited caches, so some just didn't make the cut.

A cache on your map shows the wrong place to park. // Hey, that road doesn't exist! // That's a long hike! // What's with making us ford the river?

Thanks for catching that! Let me know, and I'll incorporate it your fix into the route.

Why does the route go way past the dinner time? Is this a two-day event?

The extra time is a buffer, in case you're so good that you'd run out of caches before you run out of daylight. I don't expect anyone would be able to hit all of them between sunrise and sunset. Of course, if you wanted to hit them after dinner, or on Sunday, I'm sure you'll be able to find folks to join you.

It sounds fun, but I've already found some of them.

Then come laugh at us, try to remember where they were, look at the old logbook signatures, or guess when we'll be at the caches you haven't hit yet. Maybe pass your phone number around for us to call when we get stumped.

You have X cache on the route, but it's disabled/archived/a long hike.

Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route (if archived) or may check with the owner (if disabled).

X cache is in an environmentally sensitive area. // My cache is physically fragile and I don't want it broken.

By all means, let me know. I don't want to send 50 people there to stomp all over it.

I disagree with the whole idea of cache machines. I don't want you finding my cache.

Sorry to hear that. It's too bad you've got a neat place to show us that we won't be able to see. Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route.

What's this gonna cost me?

Nothing for the caching. Or, at least, nothing more than it would cost than if you did the trip solo (e.g., paying for your own gas, hotel, and dinner). I'm not collecting any money for this.

Lunch? Breaks? Bathrooms?

There's no breaks in cache machines! Just hold it. :-P Or find something on the way.

Rain? Snow? Scorching Beaverton-like temperatures? Landslides? Flooding? Rattlesnakes?

Probably, yes. Do what you safely can, and skip ahead when reality or your capabilities don't match the plan. Be prepared and flexible.

What do the map symbols mean?

Turquoise lines show my suggested route, but if there's a brown trail or grey road that I've drawn in, ignore the turquoise. Red car icons show places to park a car for a short time (usually a trailhead).

ce16d180-40c2-423d-a3ab-b976b7b4a2b2.jpg

Edited by Cascade Reviewer
Fixed incorrect links for OP

How about a first draft? Take a look, and if you know the area, let me know if I've steered folks to the wrong end of a park, into a homeless camp, across a non-existent bridge, or any other ridiculousness. If a particular spot is unexpectedly unsafe, I'd like to know that, too.

Edited by travisl

My first pass through the list showed these cache may have problems.

#    Code            Name 
24   GC2ATPM A Rock and a Hard Place      Need archived
48   GC45031 Don't Park in front of ...           2 DNFs, hasn't been found since 10/16/2017
75   GC3AV4C  The Bell in the Garden           Needs Maintenance.  Broken.  
85   GCPKPA   Ilchee, Moon Girl                    Disable until after Cache Machine.
89   GC2M9DW  2011-7                                  3 DNFs
94   GC3F1MN  Log the Micro Log                 2 DNFs.  May be gone.
104  GC1YKZ8  Just another Park                  1 DNF, not found since 06/29/2017
109  GC592K4  Found Sailor                           2 DNFs not found since 07/27/2017

On 5/2/2018 at 7:14 AM, Kiersolvd said:

you might want to check the link to the event as two are for a cache south of SF

Oops. That's what I get for manually typing the URL instead of copying and pasting, and mentally still living in the 6-digit GC era. https://coord.info/GC7P0Y0 is correct; GCP0Y0 is not. I've emailed the admin to see if I can get that fixed. Thanks for finding that!

Thanks for spotting these. My thoughts are in red inline below:

On 5/1/2018 at 10:58 PM, Terrible Ts said:

My first pass through the list showed these cache may have problems.

#    Code            Name 
24   GC2ATPM A Rock and a Hard Place      Need archived 
(plus 4 DNFs and complaints about dampness and trash. Removed.)

48   GC45031 Don't Park in front of ...           2 DNFs, hasn't been found since 10/16/2017
(CO disabled; says he'll check. Watching)

75   GC3AV4C  The Bell in the Garden           Needs Maintenance.  Broken.
(Neat spot, still there, keeping for now.)

85   GCPKPA   Ilchee, Moon Girl                    Disable until after Cache Machine.
(Yup, going on the Do Not Hunt list.)

89   GC2M9DW  2011-7                                  3 DNFs
(Inactive CO, easy find. I just reported it "needs to be archived". Removed.)

94   GC3F1MN  Log the Micro Log                 2 DNFs.  May be gone.
(The only prior DNFs were inexperienced cachers; these 2 appear realiable. Likely gone. Navigating to here would've been tough anyway. Removed.)

104  GC1YKZ8  Just another Park                  1 DNF, not found since 06/29/2017
(Logs indicate hanging cache is tough to spot. Even some experienced cachers missed it. Keeping for now.)

109  GC592K4  Found Sailor                           2 DNFs not found since 07/27/2017
(Appears to have been muggled. Removed.)

Edited by travisl

Two things:

1) WSGA Southwest is hosting a lunch stop, Rest / Relax / Eat / Cache On!!! (GC7PXTV), from 10 AM to 2 PM during the cache machine. How cool of them is that? I'll be adjusting the route slightly to include the stop and the caches in this park.

2)

On 5/11/2018 at 10:52 PM, Ptld2016 said:

If it makes a difference, there's a required park fee for 78, 79, and 80. As I recall, it's something like $3 per car.

It looks like 78 and 79 are outside the park and there's non-park parking nearby. Number 80, GCKT6Z-Smeltdipper is indeed in the park. The parks' parking fee site says:

These are parking fees, not entrance fees. There is no charge for people who walk or bicycle into any of the four parks.

Daily parking fees are collected at fee booths, typically from May 1 through Sept. 30, and during busy off-season events.

Fee booth attendants accept cash, debit cards, Visa and MasterCard. (No checks, Discover or American Express cards).

When fee booths are not staffed, park users need to use self-pay stations. Only cash is accepted at self-pay stations. 

Under Clark County Code, parking a vehicle without paying the required daily fee or displaying a valid parking pass could result in a $40 fine.

The Google Street View in the area is from before the fees kicked in last year. Any idea if there's still parking available here, next to the pipeline sign?

image.png.535a0cb8997114d199a48ed8d79461e8.png

Edited by travisl

I spoke with a previous finder, as I haven't done this one. To get to 80, you have to park at Frenchman's Bar, at the top of the picture. It's not an extremely long walk to the cache, but people would be taking their chances if they choose not to pay. It isn't just a park and grab.

Draft 2 is up! Let me know if I've missed anything.

The final draft will be posted here on the TUESDAY before the event (June 19), not on the usual Monday. (I'll be driving back to Tacoma from Pullman most of Monday).

Also, note that the SW Washington chapter of the WSGA is hosting a lunch stop! GC7PXTV, Rest / Relax / Eat / Cache On!!! How cool of them is that?

Edited by travisl

Good news: there's no changes since draft 2. Feel free to use draft 2's route if you've already invested effort into it, or you can use this final version. Really: the only difference between the final and draft 2 is the file name and the title on page 1.

Any subsequent changes will be announced at the unofficial pre-event dinner on Friday, and in this forum, after dinner.

I know this is last minute but thought I would toss this out. Anyone wanting to stop by GC6W0JE I have stocked it with some trackables but should anyone feel the urge to want to send some to Ireland/Scotland I have left a bag which I will grab later tomorrow prior to my Sunday departure.  This is very near two caches on the list. Will drop any left in my travels on my geocaching trip disguised as a golf trip :-)

Sorry I am missing this event, though I have in general found most of these. Will have to try on another one not in my home town. Have fun everyone!

3 hours ago, nebrevod said:

I know this is last minute but thought I would toss this out. Anyone wanting to stop by GC6W0JE I have stocked it with some trackables!

It’s between stops 21 and 22 on the route. I plan on stopping by tomorrow morning. 

Also, I’ve received word that stop 38, Ashlynn’s Cache (GC2P4AG) has been eaten by a lawnmower. I’m gonna skip that one.

And late word of a homeless camp near the Earthcache stop 73, Revitalizing A Neglected Urban Watershed (GC1AV6D). I’d taken a nearby vacate off the route for a similar reason, if I remember right. 

Edited by travisl
Homeless earthcache camp reported