Urwigo field vetting

Spire67

I have built a cartridge using the Urwigo builder.

I am now in the process of testing it.  I have several input fields in the cartridge.  They are all numeric fields.  In testing the cartridge I have entered alpha characters and found that it simply quits out of question with no message.  You then have to exit the zone and re-enter it to get it to fire the question again.  Is there any way of dealing with the user inputting their response in the wrong format so that it gives an appropriate message and then allows them to re-input their response?

2 hours ago, Spire67 said:

I have built a cartridge using the Urwigo builder.

I am now in the process of testing it.  I have several input fields in the cartridge.  They are all numeric fields.  In testing the cartridge I have entered alpha characters and found that it simply quits out of question with no message.  You then have to exit the zone and re-enter it to get it to fire the question again.  Is there any way of dealing with the user inputting their response in the wrong format so that it gives an appropriate message and then allows them to re-input their response?

You can do it a couple of different ways. Here's a way I've used.. in LUA.

function ValidateCode(code)
if not IsNumeric(code) then
var_codeValid = false
return
end

function IsNumeric(var)
local num = tonumber(var)
if num == nil then
return false
else
return true
end
end

6 hours ago, bflentje said:

You can do it a couple of different ways. Here's a way I've used.. in LUA.

function ValidateCode(code)
if not IsNumeric(code) then
var_codeValid = false
return
end

function IsNumeric(var)
local num = tonumber(var)
if num == nil then
return false
else
return true
end
end

Thanks for the response.  Can that be added to code written through the urwigo app?  If so how?

I have inserted a LUA User code at the start of the flow for the input.  See attached screen shot.  The first script threw up an error "Expecting 'end'. Around line 5 character 4.

The second script was error free but then did nothing to trap the input of an alpha character.  Does the (code) need to be changed to the name of the input variable and if so how do identify what that is?  Thanks

Screenshot (141).png

I use Earwigo so don't know how your tool implements it. But my functions are located in the Author Script block. Once it's there..

- I have a boolean variable named var_codeValid
- I have an expression named codeValid
- In the GetInput event, first step is to do a Lua statement: 
ValidateCode(var_answer)
- followed by If/Then, checking the expression. 

You should get the gist of it??

This was my first attempt at this in a builder tool so I would definitely do it differently if I wrote it today. But it works.

Capture.PNG