Stumbled upon cache by accident

Starla4270

Hi there,

My daughters and I were walking in the woods and came upon an abandoned vehicle.  We poked around and looked behind the back seat, and found a black box.  Inside was a piece of paper with signatures on it, and some other items.  Among the items was a keychain with a laminated note that said:  "Visit anything related to space.  Make it back to Denver, Co:  Please log TBXXXX@geocaching.com"  We didn't know this was a game, and my kids took the items home.  Left the note in the box.  Now I realize what happened.  Can someone explain to me what the note on the keychain was about, and what we should do?  I think my kids would actually like doing this on weekends. 

Thanks!

Suzanna

Edited by Keystone
tracking code anonymized by moderator
3 hours ago, Starla4270 said:

You found a travelbug called VACA 2017 Journey to Mars It's supposed to be have been in the cache Mother Trucker.

OK, we'll return the things to the container.  But, can you tell me how you found out that it was VACA 2017 Journey to Mars?  Mother Trucker?  Could I have found this out on my own, using this site (how)?  Thank you, just trying to get the hang of this.

It's the code that is the key.  The alpha-numeric string in front of @geocaching.com is a trackable code.  Trackables travel from cache to cache and the code is what is used to log its travels.  On the main search page click on Play and in the subsequent drop down box click on Trackables.  Enter the code in the search box and it will bring up the trackable's page which includes its current location and logs of its travels, among other information.

Edited by icezebra11
16 hours ago, Starla4270 said:

OK, we'll return the things to the container.  

If there are any specific items (other than the Travel Bug) that you or your kids would like to keep, you can trade other item(s) for them.  Those toys, etc are in the cache for the purpose of trading.  Just keep in mind that the rule is to trade even or trade up, ie, don't take something nice and leave junk in trade.

Edited by NanCycle
delete part of quote
  • Upvote 1
On 4/30/2018 at 6:04 PM, Starla4270 said:

OK, we'll return the things to the container.  But, can you tell me how you found out that it was VACA 2017 Journey to Mars?  Mother Trucker?  Could I have found this out on my own, using this site (how)?  Thank you, just trying to get the hang of this.

When you return the items that were in the container you can also sign the log book (you didn't mention if you did this). then go to the geocache page here: Mother Trucker, then click on "Log Geocache" and enter in a short sentence or two about the experience.  You can either drop the "VACA 2017 Journey to Mars" item  back into that geocache or hold onto it until you find another geocache this is large enough for it to fit.  if you choose to do that, below the "Log Geocache" box you'll an "Inventory" section with a link to the "VACA 2017 Journey to Mars" page.  Once there, you can select "Log it, Found It" then select "Retrieved from Mother Trucker".  That indicates that the TB item is now in your possession.  When you find another geocache, and go to that cache page to post a log you'll see an option to "Drop" the TB item into that cache.  Once you've done that you will have moved the TB.  While many trackable items have a specific goal (e.g. visit locations related to space) the basic goal is just to move it from geocache to geocache.  It appears that the VACA 2017 TB started out in Georgia and has been to many geocaches until it was put into the cache you found.

Amazing!    You just stumbled upon one of the greatest activity's on the planet (and beyond.)    I wonder how many people started out trying to find that cache and couldn't?   You three have the gift,  I can feel it..

Read up,  ask lots of questions but above all get out there and have some fun.