Survey on Map usage

pingurus

Hi,

Did anyone else have a window popping up when opening the Geocaching map?

I'm curious because I accidentally closed the browser window (the questions didn't come up another time) and thus the last question I saw is whether I would like to do a Skype interview. So I was wondering how widespread this questionnaire is?

1 hour ago, K13 said:

The map page works, and it does most everything I could ever want. PLEASE DON'T CHANGE IT!!

It may do what you want, but there are countless issues that affect many and lots of improvements that could make it more useful. Without even putting in much effort, I can think of half-a-dozen things that can be fixed/improved that have been requested by many, so status quo really isn't an option.

As for the mini-survey, I got it last night. I can't remember all of the details, but there were some possible answers that seemed redundant and/or ambiguous. There were a couple that seemed leading, in that they seemed to imply one thing but on closer inspection of the other answers actually meant something completely different. If anyone else gets this, read all of the options carefully before answering.

Without even putting in much effort, I can think of half-a-dozen things that can be fixed/improved

The main thing I'd personally like to see is a, "Saturation Overlay" option. In the old Cache Sense app, you could show a circle around each cache for the purposes of placement of new caches. I have not been able to figure out how to do that on the standard map(web page).

1 hour ago, *GeoPunx* said:

The main thing I'd personally like to see is a, "Saturation Overlay" option. In the old Cache Sense app, you could show a circle around each cache for the purposes of placement of new caches. I have not been able to figure out how to do that on the standard map(web page).

This isn't available on the main map, but a map with this is available as the first step in the cache submission form here.

I don't use it myself, but I think I've heard of a third-party browser extension that can do what you want on the main map.

3 hours ago, K13 said:

Did anyone else notice that "the-app-which-must-not-be-named" was included as an option on one question?

yes, I did and was going to post something about it here.  I'm wondering if GS is trying to gauge how much competition they have from it and is considering legal action due it's violation of the TOU.

2 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

yes, I did and was going to post something about it here.  I'm wondering if GS is trying to gauge how much competition they have from it and is considering legal action due it's violation of the TOU.

I was talking to a cacher recently who used that app before he got an Iphone. He now uses the GS app, and two other apps to do all that the un-namable app did for him.

My Oregon does enough for me.

26 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I got a Geocaching Research Survey email, but I think it's different than this, so I started a new thread.

I think they are related, as when I went through the survey on map usage, I got a prompt asking if I was interested to participate in what you describe in the other thread.