Two Newbie Questions

shawntimothy87

Greetings Everybody!

I have just begun the geocaching hobby, have a Premium Subscription to the app, and I already love the hobby I do have two questions that would help my experience be better though. 

1. Is there a way to search geocaches by series? For example, in my area of Michigan there is a series called "tip tow thru the snow" and there are nearly 200 of them. I thought it would be fun to take a few afternoons and find them all. However, I cannot find a way to search by name for this series. I can search by code, but not by name.

2. Is there a way to select multiple geocaches and then have a route generated to get them all?

Your answers to these questions will help me tremendously. Thank you so much for your help in advance.

Shawntimothy87

Question 1. I cannot believe there's not already a bookmark for that series, not that I could see.  If it were me I'd create one (are they all under the same hider?) add all the caches in that series, then run a PQ and you can see them all on the map! 

Edited by Max and 99

Welcome to the game!

1. Go to the main search page.  Leave the white field empty and then click the Filters button.  In this new pop up you'll see a box called Geocache Name Contains.  I entered "tip toe".  Then in the "limit search to" box I set it to Michigan.  Click the green Update Search button.  It gave me 219 results.  At the far left of the header row there is a check box.  Check it to select all of the caches.  If there are a few that you don't want you can uncheck those individual caches.  Some times a search will bring up many that you don't want.  In that case if there are only a few in the results that you do want, just check the individual caches.  After any box is checked you will see a new bubble above the header row that says Add __ to a List.  You can click that button to save all that you checked to a List that you already have or you can create a new one.  Then you can use the list in the app if you use it, or use the Send to Garmin feature on your Lists page if you use a Garmin.

2.  I've never used this feature but you can find info in the Help Center for creating routes.

Edited by icezebra11
  • Upvote 1

Regarding your Q2.  This is possible using a PC application called GSAK.  Without GSAK, it is possible to set a route and see which caches are close to that route, using a Pocket Query.

With GSAK you can select a number of caches and run a macro to give the optimum route through those caches, with options for driving, cycling and walking.

GSAK is essentially a spreadsheet overlaying a database and the "grid" or spreadsheet shows details of caches in the underlying database.  You can "filter" or select only those caches which meet certain criteria and process those caches. You can also have an effectively unlimited number of databases.  Some folk find it a bit intimidating, because there is a lot to learn, but there is a very helpful community at their bulletin board and if you are familiar with spreadsheets, it doesn't take long to get a foothold into GSAK.

On 4/30/2018 at 9:08 AM, shawntimothy87 said:

Your answers to these questions will help me tremendously. Thank you so much for your help in advance.

Other posts above have provided good advice. The one thing I wanted to clarify is that the advice refers to doing things on the website, not in the app. You could access the website from your phone's web browser.

Key thing is that using the geocaching.com website.  If you haven't explored it much yet, then I'd suggest visiting various pages on the website to see all the things that can be done, especially with your Premium Membership (especially Pocket Queries and Bookmark Lists).