Downloading caches to GPS

Diflo19

Not directly from a phone, but if you are able to tether your phone's 4G connection to create a makeshift wifi hotspot, you can connect the Garmin Oregon 700 to download caches directly. Otherwise the Oregon just needs a WiFi signal to connect to geocaching.com without the need of a computer.

44 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

Not directly from a phone, but if you are able to tether your phone's 4G connection to create a makeshift wifi hotspot, you can connect the Garmin Oregon 700 to download caches directly. Otherwise the Oregon just needs a WiFi signal to connect to geocaching.com without the need of a computer.

I thought 700s could tether with bluetooth to access the internet.

The oregon 600 has BT and could pair with a phone. It could probably do all that the Oregon 700 can do if Garmin would reprogram it. At the very least, give these BT enabled devices the ability to pair with a computer to wirelessly transfer data back and forth with Basecamp.

• Upvote 1

I don't think Basecamp is dead. It's still very much an integral part of data management on their GPS. They are killing their own cloud service probably because it costs them too much and is underutilized. I never saw that feature to be that useful. The replacement interests me much more - the ability to back up or store my basecamp data on Dropbox and/or Google Drive. 

OK thanks for the answer. If I resume and well-understand:

- I get a smartphone with 3G/4G

- I get a Gamin 700 (or 750 ?)

- I can go outdoor and connect GPS through wifi to my phone to geocaching.com to unload caches directly

Is that right ?

35 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

Well, there's no reason not to connect to a makeshift wifi hotspot with tethering if you can do it. It's probably faster than using BT.

It uses a lot more battery in both devices and it is a lot of fiddling around.  BT once setup is automatic and will just work all of the time.  There should not be any speed impacts.