HELP!?!? When did Geocachers start using TB dog tags?!?!?

jorie7484

Hi, 

We have found our first TB tag (hitchhiker) ..she has been traveling for many years and I was wondering if she was one of the oldest tags out there..she is quite old and her travels have come to an end...I would like to celebrate her before I send her home.

I have been searching for the release date of the very first TB tag. Does anyone know when geocachers started using TB dog tags? I know the history of the geocoin and read a ton of info on TB tags but have yet to find when they started in the game. Geocaching started in 2000 and I read that companies used TB tags as advertising and promotional purposes... but that happened after the TB tags began....does anyone know when the tags started? This has been a mission and I sure would appreciate any info on this or maybe the first TB tag to be released...I have tried several searches and my brain is stumped..ty so much!

jorie7484

TBs were started in August 2001  Some were (sold?) or released by Jeremy, and some of the others ended up at an event in Virginia

Tag1 Deadly Duck: Envy  

Note TB reference number  -   celebrated with the more recent Deadly duck tag sales. See this blog post for more info HQ Duck Dash

The first geocoins (Moun10bike) date from the same period.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Upvote 1

Oh, ty so much for the info! Well this lil' birdie has been traveling for 14 years. She set off on her journey in sept of 2004. She is definitely an early bird! I would still like to celebrate her as my first TB and also that she has traveled so long, it is time for her to go home! I appreciate your post..ty IK ! Lol so u mean all this time I could of just typed in TB1?!?! 

Edited by jorie7484