Garmin communicator plug in not detected

ground control 1

24 minutes ago, ground control 1 said:

I haven't been on this site for over a year!

Garmin Communicator Plugin no longer supported

I used to keep "Send To GPS" running as a personal challenge.  A few months ago, it stopped working for me.  Fully functional, that button requires extra work later (not including the research and special effort to keep it running). 

Use the "GPX File" button instead, for free.  I usually just load a whole Pocket Query or two, but I do "GPX File" for one or two particular caches to my Nuvi, or if I missed a file in my PQ.   "GPX File" now provides non-paying members the same data that PMs get.  But there is a fee for the convenience of Pocket Queries.

Here's another help center page about it.  Those are various methods, several of which not everybody can use.  One viable option is to click the "GPX File" button on any cache page and save it to a Garmin GPS in the folder "Garmin/GPX".

Edited by kunarion
23 minutes ago, ground control 1 said:

Well this news renders my GPS useless and it looks like my geocaching days are now over!

Not quite right. You still can download the GPX file from the website to your unit. Even as a plain Member (this is new since a couple of weeks).

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, HHL said:

You still can download the GPX file from the website to your unit. Even as a plain Member (this is new since a couple of weeks).

+1

Not every button works for everybody.  And some tempting buttons are a bad idea to play with ("Collectible", anyone?).  Discretion is advised.

"Send to GPS" (also called "Send to My GPS", not to be confused with "Send to Garmin") still works for enough users for it to remain on the site. Try to work around it, unless it becomes so onerous that your geocaching days are over.  Because if you've seen site changes over the years on Geocaching.com, you already know that the attempts at changing things tend to... um... make the situation worse... :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion
5 hours ago, ground control 1 said:

Well this news renders my GPS useless and it looks like my geocaching days are now over!

No, you just didn't get the full understanding of the answer. Use the GPX File button and when it asks you where to save the GPX file, point it to your [Garmin device] /Garmin/GPX folder. That's all that the (now non-working) plug-in did; it just automated the download step. With a couple extra mouse-clicks, you can still get the same results. 

51 minutes ago, JohnCNA said:

No, you just didn't get the full understanding of the answer. Use the GPX File button and when it asks you where to save the GPX file, point it to your [Garmin device] /Garmin/GPX folder. That's all that the (now non-working) plug-in did; it just automated the download step. With a couple extra mouse-clicks, you can still get the same results. 

If you add in the extra time, research and settings involved in keeping the old plug-in functional, using "GPX File" requires a lot fewer mouse-clicks. :P

Edited by kunarion
20 minutes ago, ground control 1 said:

Thank you for the advice but the problem I am having now is that when I click gpx it automatically all goes to my internet explorer downloads and not to my etrex10 and I do not know how to configure it to make the gpx file go to my etrex 10. Thanks. Any help would be great!

You have to change behavior on how to handle gpx files (like "open with..."). (I don't use IE but you should look at file associations in the settings section). 

For now, go into your downloadfolder, copy the gpx file and paste in in the garmin/gpx folder of your GPS.

5 minutes ago, on4bam said:

You have to change behavior on how to handle gpx files (like "open with..."). (I don't use IE but you should look at file associations in the settings section). 

For now, go into your downloadfolder, copy the gpx file and paste in in the garmin/gpx folder of your GPS.

I don't get the "open with" dialog box come up it just goes to downloads. Does anyone know how to get the open with dialog box to appear and give me the option to send to the etrex 10?  Otherwise I will have to cut and paste every time from the downloads folder. 

Your GPS should act like a memory stick when you plug in the usb cable, after a short delay you should see another drive listed on your computer. If this is not happening unplug your Etrex and boot it normally. Go to setup, then system, then scroll down to USB mode. You have a choice of Mass Storage or Garmin, choose mass storage.

Plug your usb cable back into the GPS and after a short delay you should see a new drive on your computer named Garmin or Etrex. Open that drive you will see a folder named Garmin, open that folder and you will see a folder named GPX. Move the GPX files from your Explorer download folder into that folder named GPX and you're done. Unplug the GPS, boot it normally, and you should see caches.

4 hours ago, ground control 1 said:

Does anyone know how to get the open with dialog box to appear and give me the option to send to the etrex 10?  Otherwise I will have to cut and paste every time from the downloads folder. 

When you click a link to download a file, by default IE11 pops up a download window. Select “Save”, then “Save As”. Browse to a folder, click “Save”. Now all downloads will go to that folder until the setting changes.

You must manually remove old GPX files from the GPS anyway (or you'll be back in the Forums at some point).  To keep it simple (that is, to keep it consistent), I download to “Downloads”, and then process and copy files to their place. Your mileage may vary. :cute:

Untitleda.jpg

Edited by kunarion

Why does the geocaching.com website still have the 'send to my GPS' option when selecting a geocache you would like to find if it doesn't work and is not likely to work in the future?

Seems misleading and crazy to me or am I missing something here? Why do major web browsers choose not support popular apps like Garmin any more?

28 minutes ago, ground control 1 said:

Why does the geocaching.com website still have the 'send to my GPS' option when selecting a geocache you would like to find if it doesn't work and is not likely to work in the future?

Seems misleading and crazy to me or am I missing something here? 

I keep asking that, and the only answer seems to be that it still works for some people.  

2 hours ago, ground control 1 said:

Seems misleading and crazy to me or am I missing something here? Why do major web browsers choose not support popular apps like Garmin any more?

Someone answered the question of why have functions that you specifically can't use, about a day ago. :ph34r:

As for the details of browser support, someone answered that, too.  Both in this same thread.