Introduce your friends to your hobby?

I have been doing this for a little over a year now.  This started as a way for me to get my kids (8 & 3) off the couch and walk our (at that time 4 month old) dog.  I have known of Geocaching for a long time, and just never took the time to learn it until recently.  Over the last couple months I have been asked by friends and neighbors if they could join us on our trips.  I have no issue with this, and I see it as a way to keep the hobby alive.  Most of them are outdoorsy types, so I do not have much concern for them being a negative impact to any aspect here.  At work the typical "what did you do this weekend" comes up, and I discuss it there as well, and have prompted some co-workers to go out on their own.  Now I have been asked to do an event for my Cub Scout pack and I have been delaying it as much as possible because many parents suck.

How far have any of you gone with introducing new people to this?  I am starting to reel it in because I am not trying to turn into the local ambassador of Geocaching.  I had 6 kids, 2 dogs and a wife with me on my last hide.  It was about a 1 mile total round trip walk and took 2.5 hours for a 2.5/2 cache.

I tell anyone who will listen about geocaching. A lot of people never even heard of it. I wish more people were into it in my area. We have a lot of caches in the area but nearly ALL of them were created by the same 3 or 4 people. Don't get me wrong, those 3-4 people have done an awesome job creating a fun environment in my area. I just wish the game was a little more robust, locally. I'm worried that I'll be hiding caches for basically a very small group of people. (if I can get any interesting hides approved... it's a lot harder than I first realized)

Edited by Korichnovui
  • Upvote 1

Yes, I will introduce the hobby to others. The circumstances will dictate the approach. I am a 4-H leader, and teach the GeoSpatial project, which can include Geocaching. In this case, I have people that are interesting in learning more. The kids have to sign up. I also require their parents to come along and help out, for a variety of reasons. As a 4-H leader, I have access to over a dozen GPSr units through the program. I usually pre-fill them with specific caches, ones that I know are 'good' quality caches with swag. So, I try to make their exposure to Geocaching a memorable one.

I might go to general 4-H meetings and explain Geocaching, giving them a high level overview. I limit those to just a couple of minutes. I only do this if asked.

I've also had muggles that were interesting in knowing why I was wandering about in the woods holding a couple of GPSr units. I will explain Geocaching, and ask them if they want to help me search for it. I will even loan them my GPSr, especially if they have kids.

I drove a van full of people to my brothers wedding (it was in Yosemite, and we wanted to limit the number of vehicles), and they asked me lots of questions about geocaching.

I wear a hat with lots of geocaching trackables sewn to it. If people ask about it, I will answer. Again, a short description, and let them pursue with more questions.

So, I would say that I am an ambassador for Geocaching, and my style is to make myself approachable, but not preachy.

We used to bring a lot of co-workers with us on short hikes, and for those interested, even introduce them to rope usage for ascending or rappelling.

Many here seem to prefer indoors to out these days (ticks and sun maybe), and some odd reason the ones that do go outdoors believe they should never leave trails, so obviously we don't introduce many to the hobby anymore.

If someone asked and seemed genuine, we're happy to introduce them to our version of the hobby.    Many today think of geocaching as a "lampposts in parking lots game", and we believe that makes them lose interest shortly after joining.  We like to show them the reason we joined the hobby instead, and so far all we've introduced stayed.  

I definitely wouldn't "tell anyone who'd listen".  We have enough issues with weekend n done muggles-with-apps as it is... 

41 minutes ago, Korichnovui said:

I wish more people were into it in my area. We have a lot of caches in the area but nearly ALL of them were created by the same 3 or 4 people. Don't get me wrong, those 3-4 people have done an awesome job creating a fun environment in my area. I just wish the game was a little more robust, locally. I'm worried that I'll be hiding caches for basically a very small group of people. (if I can get any interesting hides approved... it's a lot harder than I first realized)

There are a lot of seekers here, but few hiders as well.  I started hiding and it is a lot more easy after you do it than it looks.  I started hiding because all new hides are no less than 20 miles (straight line) from me, so I wanted to give others near me a few closer options.  

43 minutes ago, Wet Pancake Touring Club said:

Yes, I will introduce the hobby to others. The circumstances will dictate the approach. I am a 4-H leader, and teach the GeoSpatial project, which can include Geocaching. In this case, I have people that are interesting in learning more. The kids have to sign up. I also require their parents to come along and help out, for a variety of reasons. As a 4-H leader, I have access to over a dozen GPSr units through the program. I usually pre-fill them with specific caches, ones that I know are 'good' quality caches with swag. So, I try to make their exposure to Geocaching a memorable one.

I might go to general 4-H meetings and explain Geocaching, giving them a high level overview. I limit those to just a couple of minutes. I only do this if asked.

So, I would say that I am an ambassador for Geocaching, and my style is to make myself approachable, but not preachy.

I am doing similar things with Cub Scouts now, and my concern is that I am going to create a population of weekend and done.  I only have 1 GPSr so I would be using the app for some of this which will highlight the ease of entry to the hobby, but also remove some of the commitment to it.

35 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

We used to bring a lot of co-workers with us on short hikes, and for those interested, even introduce them to rope usage for ascending or rappelling.

Many here seem to prefer indoors to out these days (ticks and sun maybe), and some odd reason the ones that do go outdoors believe they should never leave trails, so obviously we don't introduce many to the hobby anymore.

If someone asked and seemed genuine, we're happy to introduce them to our version of the hobby.    Many today think of geocaching as a "lampposts in parking lots game", and we believe that makes them lose interest shortly after joining.  We like to show them the reason we joined the hobby instead, and so far all we've introduced stayed.  

I definitely wouldn't "tell anyone who'd listen".  We have enough issues with weekend n done muggles-with-apps as it is... 

I work for an Irish company (in the US) and these guys love to hike.  I was telling them and one is home now trying to check off all in his hometown.  If you are afraid of ticks and sun, we are most likely not going to get along, so I do not have too many issues here.  I find it amusing that most of the people I have introduced already had a GPSr for hunting, camping or fishing and did not know of this option for use.  

51 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

If someone asked and seemed genuine,

That's happened to me a few times. It turns out they really just wanted someone to talk to while out for a walk. Some swear they loved the activity but wouldn't go caching unless I went. And wouldn't download the app (or get a gps) or create an account.  I question whether they really like geocaching.  One latched on and tried to be a BFF. Can you tell I'm introverted?

Edited by L0ne.R
54 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

This is how people get into the game. People will hear about it, look it up on their own, try things out on their own. Or they'll stumble across one, read the "this is a geocache" thing, look into it, etc. Yeah, some will "do it wrong" and maybe ruin a cache. Some maintenance may need to be done, God forbid. Some just might enjoy themselves and get into the game a bit more. I certainly didn't have anyone holding my hand when I got into the game. I started out as a "weekend n done muggle-with-an-app".

16 minutes ago, StumblinMonk said:

I am doing similar things with Cub Scouts now, and my concern is that I am going to create a population of weekend and done.  I only have 1 GPSr so I would be using the app for some of this which will highlight the ease of entry to the hobby, but also remove some of the commitment to it.

I don't worry about the one and done. I don't make any of the 4-Hers create accounts. We go out and find a few caches, as part of the project. Its a Geospatial project, not a Geocaching project. I use Geocaching as an example, and rather than create my own set of private geocaches, I use already existing ones. The kids get to sign the log and trade swag. If they want to continue Geocaching outside of the 4-H project, that is a discussion between the kids and their parents. I explain what it would take to get an account setup, how to log, tradeoffs and costs, GPSr versus app, etc. My job is to show them what Geocaching can be, but not be a future babysitter.

2 minutes ago, Wet Pancake Touring Club said:

I don't worry about the one and done. I don't make any of the 4-Hers create accounts. 

My job is to show them what Geocaching can be, but not be a future babysitter.

I was not going to have them make accounts, more the parents agreeing to go out the next day, or weekend then it is over.  OR like you hit on the head "hey if you are going to do that thing with your kids, having family time and whatnot, could you take mine so we do not have to parent Saturday" This is far more common that I would have ever believed until I experienced it. 

• Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

Some swear they loved the activity but wouldn't go caching unless I went. And wouldn't download the app (or get a gps) or create an account.  I question whether they really like geocaching.  One latched on and tried to be a BFF. Can you tell I'm introverted?

I have one of these as well.  She and my wife are good friends, so I have a tough time dodging her since I am not the one to invite.  Her husband is into it, but they do not want to shell out the $30 for the premium account.  There is a very limited sample near me for free, so they asked for my login info.   I gave them the basic I have for my son, and let him create his own new one.

• Upvote 1

I suggest when teaching the Cub Scouts, stress the guidelines and emphasize "Trade Even or Trade Up", "Leave No Trace (a thing that was a part of the Cub Program a few years ago when I was a Leader)", and "Cache In Trash Out".

I wouldn't mention setting out a cache, but I would stress that the caches out there are owned by people like you, not "the game company".

45 minutes ago, K13 said:

I suggest when teaching the Cub Scouts, stress the guidelines and emphasize "Trade Even or Trade Up", "Leave No Trace (a thing that was a part of the Cub Program a few years ago when I was a Leader)", and "Cache In Trash Out".

I wouldn't mention setting out a cache, but I would stress that the caches out there are owned by people like you, not "the game company".

I was going to try find a way to use CITO to clean up a park and use it as a teaching point there.  As for creating a cache, My initial thought was to have each den make one, but now I think I am going to use one of my larger ammo cans and ask them to contribute swag for it, and name it after the pack. 

Virtually every one I know has been made aware of this goof. One rides his bicycle nearly everywhere. Another does mountain hikes to fabulous views with a local very active cacher who caches along the way.

Neither will look for caches while doing their respective caching related activity.

So, out of all of those people, how may have taken up the game?

Exactly...

Zero.

Edited by Mockingbird559

3 hours ago, StumblinMonk said:

I was going to try find a way to use CITO to clean up a park and use it as a teaching point there.  As for creating a cache, My initial thought was to have each den make one, but now I think I am going to use one of my larger ammo cans and ask them to contribute swag for it, and name it after the pack. 

I'm glad you won't be making them sign up for accounts or actually make their own. Part of the issue we have in my area is a lot of the boy scouts and girl scouts, to get a badge, are supposed to create their own geocache and have a "long term plan" (I think it's supposed to be for up to a year) for how to take care of them for I'm assuming each troop. I don't think I've seen a single one visited to be taken care of maintenance wise afterward, so they fall into disrepair soon after. I've actually stopped visiting them on my map unless they're brand new.

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, Korichnovui said:

I started out as a "weekend n done muggle-with-an-app".

One, you're still caching.  That doesn't seem much like "weekend n done" to me.  :D

Two, you stealing from, or outright stealing caches?  Peeing (or worse) in 'em?   No?  You're not a "muggle with the app" either...

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, mimaef said:

...  Part of the issue we have in my area is a lot of the boy scouts and girl scouts, to get a badge, are supposed to create their own geocache and have a "long term plan" (I think it's supposed to be for up to a year) for how to take care of them for I'm assuming each troop. I don't think I've seen a single one visited to be taken care of maintenance wise afterward, so they fall into disrepair soon after. I've actually stopped visiting them on my map unless they're brand new.

I feel I need to weigh in on this - both as a geocacher and a scout leader.  I am a counselor for the Boy Scout Geocaching Merit Badge for our local council.  I have taught (along with my husband, also a local scouter and MB counselor) a class or two on Geocaching at our District Roundtable.  Only one of the requirements for the badge needs an account; there is no requirement to either hide or maintain a geocache.  Although it is one of the alternative requirements (for boy scouts - I can't say for girl scouts) a scout can earn the badge without placing their own cache.  As a Counselor, i would not encourage the placing of a cache unless this particular scout was already an avid geocacher.  The alternatives are simpler, and less likely to result in an abandoned hide.

I have seen several scout placed caches that are poorly maintained - once a scout earns the badge, the cache is forgotten in many cases.  I currently have in my possession a trackable released by a scout group as a merit badge requirement - and I intend to visit it to local caches and eventually take it to an ammo can at a BSA council office on the east coast that I have previously visited, and drop it off.  A trackable  release is an alternate requirement to placing a cache, and this seems much more doable for a scout or group - release it, watch it for a few months, and then it's out there.

The whole intent of merit badges is to encourage scouts to explore various fields, which may lead to an eventual career or a lifelong hobby.  The merit badge is an introduction to the hobby, and therefore does not require a long term committment to earn the badge.  There are options that do involve a longer term committment, and as a geocacher myself, I would only advise those alternatives IF the scout was already very involved in geocaching.

Caveat: This applies only to the Boy Scout merit badge; I don't know what the GSA merit badge entails!

• Upvote 3

I don't try to promote the game or encourage others to play, but I do tell them about it and that I enjoy it.     Three main ways this happens:

1.  Family or Good friends of mine soon learn about it, as it comes up when we discuss what we do for fun.    

2.  Some work colleagues I tell about it so they understand why on the way back from lunch I need to take a specific route and "look for something".    

3.  Friendly muggles I meet in the field who ask what I'm doing, I will tell them.     

I can think of three geocachers who learned about it from me, all are very active.   One is a close relative, the other two work colleagues.   Several others were interested enough to try it, but didn't become regular cachers.     A couple of others are happy to join me on the occasional cache walk, but never go on their own nor did they ever open a geocaching.com account.   

• Upvote 1
On 4/27/2018 at 11:20 PM, CAVinoGal said:

I feel I need to weigh in on this - both as a geocacher and a scout leader.  I am a counselor for the Boy Scout Geocaching Merit Badge for our local council.  I have taught (along with my husband, also a local scouter and MB counselor) a class or two on Geocaching at our District Roundtable.  Only one of the requirements for the badge needs an account; there is no requirement to either hide or maintain a geocache.  Although it is one of the alternative requirements (for boy scouts - I can't say for girl scouts) a scout can earn the badge without placing their own cache.  As a Counselor, i would not encourage the placing of a cache unless this particular scout was already an avid geocacher.  The alternatives are simpler, and less likely to result in an abandoned hide.

I have seen several scout placed caches that are poorly maintained - once a scout earns the badge, the cache is forgotten in many cases.  I currently have in my possession a trackable released by a scout group as a merit badge requirement - and I intend to visit it to local caches and eventually take it to an ammo can at a BSA council office on the east coast that I have previously visited, and drop it off.  A trackable  release is an alternate requirement to placing a cache, and this seems much more doable for a scout or group - release it, watch it for a few months, and then it's out there.

The whole intent of merit badges is to encourage scouts to explore various fields, which may lead to an eventual career or a lifelong hobby.  The merit badge is an introduction to the hobby, and therefore does not require a long term committment to earn the badge.  There are options that do involve a longer term committment, and as a geocacher myself, I would only advise those alternatives IF the scout was already very involved in geocaching.

Caveat: This applies only to the Boy Scout merit badge; I don't know what the GSA merit badge entails!

I found a great place for a 1/1 cache in a local park, and have already obtained permission from the township.  I am going to place under my account on behalf of the pack.  Hopefully a .50 cal can stays for a while and is not stolen.

Since getting more into this hobby, I have looked into the merit badge for scouts and am going to add it to the list that I can support.  I saw the alt req to place a cache, and have come up with a few ideas to support it.  After placing my first couple I have to admit there is a certain level of excitement that comes with people finding it and getting those automatic emails.  

This past weekend I was out with my family, took a bunch of pictures and my wife posted them to social media.  The friends that have been asking to come along have since stopped.  We had to cross a creek on a fallen tree

All my friends know I Geocache.  I explain what it is and always offer to take them along if they ever want to try it out.   That's about the extent of my sales pitch.  I find that you can hype it up so much that anything short of finding the holy grail can be a little disappointing. 

On the flip side the couple of people that I have taken Geocaching are Geocaching today.

4 minutes ago, justintim1999 said:

All my friends know I Geocache.  I explain what it is and always offer to take them along if they ever want to try it out.   That's about the extent of my sales pitch.  I find that you can hype it up so much that anything short of finding the holy grail can be a little disappointing. 

It's not a hobby that appeals to everyone - a lot of people just don't "get it"!  And that's OK.  Friends and family know we go geocaching.  Sometime they've tagged along with us, and it was fun for that day or two, but on their own, they don't pursue it.  If you don't enjoy the puzzles, the hunt, that "AHA - GOTCHA!" feeling when you find it, then it's not a hobby for you.  It gives us just a little something extra to do when we hike, or walk, or want to explore a new town.  We love it, we realize not everyone else does, and we are more than willing to talk about it with those who are interested in learning more.

I don't mind telling anyone who'll listen.

I've brought work into my caching world... or caching into my work world previously via CITOs (I was in charge of the facility's community outreach) by blending park adoption with CITO event on Earth Day (and other days).  New company and I'm looking to do something similar as they've expressed an interest in doing something more than the food pantry.

When we have corporate training functions and we are requested to do the introductions with 1 interesting fact, geocaching is the thing that gets buzz.

We used to do scouting.  It was a given that we would find a way to tie caching into many activities.  I was a fan of orienteering long before the satellites were public, so it's always been in me of sorts.

What I do not like doing.... is explaining to LEOs what caching is, because if I am getting caught it means I'm having trouble finding the cache.  that's never a good way to introduce it to someone... "sorry, I cannot find it right now, but if you follow me to the walmart parking lot..."

27 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

It's not a hobby that appeals to everyone - a lot of people just don't "get it"!  And that's OK.  Friends and family know we go geocaching.  Sometime they've tagged along with us, and it was fun for that day or two, but on their own, they don't pursue it.  If you don't enjoy the puzzles, the hunt, that "AHA - GOTCHA!" feeling when you find it, then it's not a hobby for you.  It gives us just a little something extra to do when we hike, or walk, or want to explore a new town.  We love it, we realize not everyone else does, and we are more than willing to talk about it with those who are interested in learning more.

Geocaching is one of those things you can explain till your blue in the face but no amount of explanation can compare to physically doing it.  Even then, like you said, it's not for everyone.     It's the added benefits of Geocaching that appeal to me.  I've know people who started Geocaching to get some exercise and now they run every day.   Others wanted to simply get outside and enjoy nature and soon find themselves engaged in conservation activities.   Geocaching definitely makes family game night much more interesting.   

Edited by justintim1999
3 minutes ago, justintim1999 said:

Geocaching is one of those things you can explain till your blue in the face but no amount of explanation can compare to physically doing it.  Even then, like you said, it's not for everyone.     It's the added benefits of Geocaching that appeal to me.  I've know people who started Geocaching to get some exercise and now run every day.   Others wanted to simply get outside and enjoy nature and soon find themselves engaged in conservation activities.   Geocaching definitely makes family game night much more interesting.   

This is one of the appeals to me. There's a feeling of "synergy" to geocaching which is really appealing to me. I really like efficiency. So I'm "hiking AND geocaching" or "biking AND geocaching". It's not the only thing about the activity that works for me, though! Some of the other factors are:  Being brought to a new place right in the middle of my hometown and thinking, "Wow, I never knew this was here, neat." The satisfaction of solving a puzzle and making a find feels good to me. The statistics aspect and the feeling of "making progress" is also somewhat appealing. I'm now working on a new aspect - channeling creativity and personal expression through my own hides. I have a new hide submitted for review in a spot that I feel pretty proud of for discovering, I hope it goes through...

I want to add to the scout discussion, as well. I have been a scout leader for new scouts for several years now, and we have started working on the geocaching merit badge as a good break from working on tenderfoot - second class - first class requirements. I already put a group of scouts through the merit badge last year, and that cache is currently my only hide on my profile. It's true that the hiding of the cache is only 1 option among several for getting the badge, and it does require a maintenance plan, which I thought was good. I made sure that the scouts were responsible for the cache for as long as the merit badge requirement stipulated; afterward, I assumed the responsibility of the cache. Our maintenance plan was easy because we hid it close to our usual meeting spot and we would sometimes go check on it. Today the cache remains in good shape. I'm now in the process of working through the merit badge again with another group of new scouts, and they have also elected to hide a cache and keep track of it. We have yet to "scout out" and choose a spot, but they will be under the same obligation to maintain it, and I will again ensure the longer-term maintenance. I think the merit badge is well done, being pretty thorough in introducing the scouts to GPS concepts and the geocaching hobby in general. New scouts are at a great age where they're still engaged in learning and trying new things, that teenage cynicism of "what's cool and what's not" hasn't rubbed off on them yet.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Korichnovui said:

This is one of the appeals to me. There's a feeling of "synergy" to geocaching which is really appealing to me. I really like efficiency. So I'm "hiking AND geocaching" or "biking AND geocaching". It's not the only thing about the activity that works for me, though! Some of the other factors are:  Being brought to a new place right in the middle of my hometown and thinking, "Wow, I never knew this was here, neat." The satisfaction of solving a puzzle and making a find feels good to me. The statistics aspect and the feeling of "making progress" is also somewhat appealing. I'm now working on a new aspect - channeling creativity and personal expression through my own hides. I have a new hide submitted for review in a spot that I feel pretty proud of for discovering, I hope it goes through...

I want to add to the scout discussion, as well. I have been a scout leader for new scouts for several years now, and we have started working on the geocaching merit badge as a good break from working on tenderfoot - second class - first class requirements. I already put a group of scouts through the merit badge last year, and that cache is currently my only hide on my profile. It's true that the hiding of the cache is only 1 option among several for getting the badge, and it does require a maintenance plan, which I thought was good. I made sure that the scouts were responsible for the cache for as long as the merit badge requirement stipulated; afterward, I assumed the responsibility of the cache. Our maintenance plan was easy because we hid it close to our usual meeting spot and we would sometimes go check on it. Today the cache remains in good shape. I'm now in the process of working through the merit badge again with another group of new scouts, and they have also elected to hide a cache and keep track of it. We have yet to "scout out" and choose a spot, but they will be under the same obligation to maintain it, and I will again ensure the longer-term maintenance. I think the merit badge is well done, being pretty thorough in introducing the scouts to GPS concepts and the geocaching hobby in general. New scouts are at a great age where they're still engaged in learning and trying new things, that teenage cynicism of "what's cool and what's not" hasn't rubbed off on them yet.

I believe that kids should be exposed to as many activities as possible until they find something that excites them.  Sports, music, community service, stamp collecting, you name it.   Geocaching should be one of those things.

The Geocaching badge wasn't available when I was a scout leader.  If it was I'd have probably been introduced to Geocaching much earlier.   

4 minutes ago, Korichnovui said:

... I want to add to the scout discussion, as well. I have been a scout leader for new scouts for several years now, and we have started working on the geocaching merit badge as a good break from working on tenderfoot - second class - first class requirements. I already put a group of scouts through the merit badge last year, and that cache is currently my only hide on my profile. It's true that the hiding of the cache is only 1 option among several for getting the badge, and it does require a maintenance plan, which I thought was good. I made sure that the scouts were responsible for the cache for as long as the merit badge requirement stipulated; afterward, I assumed the responsibility of the cache. Our maintenance plan was easy because we hid it close to our usual meeting spot and we would sometimes go check on it. Today the cache remains in good shape. I'm now in the process of working through the merit badge again with another group of new scouts, and they have also elected to hide a cache and keep track of it. We have yet to "scout out" and choose a spot, but they will be under the same obligation to maintain it, and I will again ensure the longer-term maintenance

As long as you, on your own, are willing to do the longer term maintenance for the cache the scouts hide for the requirement, this works.  Not all counselors will be this conscientious though, and I'm happy to see that you ARE!  The other option if the scout chooses to hide a cache is to disable/archive the cache after the badge is earned, if they no longer want to maintain it.  As a counselor and a geocacher, I would use one of these 2 options, though sadly it seems many scouts place the cache, and then forget it once the badge is done.  Then again, that happens with cache owners in general, regardless of why they hide a cache - it gets forgotten and abandoned.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

It's not a hobby that appeals to everyone .....

We have a couple friends asking to join us almost every weekend, and I have to kind of plan for them.  My 8 year old gets mad too because we cannot do anything "fun" when they are with us because they whine about it being hard.  This past weekend I had to tell them we were having some family time, but they were welcome to get their own account/GPSr, I would use old phones for my tag-a-longs. I knew they would not be up for what I had in mind.  

FB_IMG_1525115332453.jpg

FB_IMG_1525115351328.jpg