Minimum Distance between mystery cache

PapaBear82

I know that the minimum distance between two physical stages of geocaches are 528 ft or 0.1 mile, but I can't seem to find anywhere stating as a fact the minimum  distance that can be between the virtual / first stage of a mystery cache.  Can anyone help me out with this.   Thank you in advance for your help!

3 minutes ago, PapaBear82 said:

I know that the minimum distance between two physical stages of geocaches are 528 ft or 0.1 mile, but I can't seem to find anywhere stating as a fact the minimum  distance that can be between the virtual / first stage of a mystery cache.  Can anyone help me out with this.   Thank you in advance for your help!

From the guidelines (my bolding):

Geocache containers and physical stages of different geocaches must be at least 0.1 miles (528 feet or 161 meters) apart.

A physical stage is any object placed by the cache owner, such as a container or a tag.

There is no minimum required distance for

• Non-physical stages, including reference points, trailheads, parking coordinates, and virtual stages.
  • Physical stages within the same Multi- or Mystery cache.
  • EarthCaches and Virtual Caches as they do not have physical waypoints.

To summarise, there's no minimum distance between stages (physical or virtual) of the same cache, or between a virtual stage and anything else; the minimum only applies between the physical elements of one cache and the physical elements of another.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, PapaBear82 said:

The posted "bogus" coordinates for a mystery cache must be less than two miles (3.2 km) from the final location.  This is to ensure that the cache shows up in the correct local area search results, and so that the mileage of any trackables visiting the cache will be reasonably accurate.  This is mentioned in the listing guidelines for mystery caches, and in this Help Center article.

Edited by Keystone
  • Upvote 1