Wherigo Downloads broken (for me at least)

famerlor_dragon

When I try to _download_ any cartridge from the website, I get this:

Error During Upload

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> You are attempting to upload an invalid GWZ file. at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters) at Wherigo.GSPCartridgeService.CartridgeService.GetCompiledCartridgeWithMetaData(GWZMetaData gwzMetaData, String CartridgeFileName, String CartridgeId, Int64 PlayerId, String PlayerName, DeviceType deviceType, String CompletionCode) at cartridge_download.btnDownload_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Is this bug being worked on? It must surely not only be me who can't download cartridges at the moment

Edited by famerlor_dragon

Is this still an issue? Im new to Wherigo caches. have downloaded the c:geo and where you go apps on my s5, logged into to everything and clicked on the link to the cartridge. it starts to download then says error?   like below:

1. install WhereYouGo app on your android phone

2. go to settings, and enter your account information to the Wherigo web site (login & pw)

3. Install c:geo app on phone

4. Configure it with your geocaching login & pw, make it work, basically

5. in c:geo, click "Search". Enter the GC code of the Wherigo geocache you want to experience.

6. swipe right to get to the description of the Wherigo cache.

7. scroll to the Wherigo cartridge link, and click it.

8. your phone will ask what app you want to send that link to, choose the Wherigo app!

9. Wherigo will now launch, and figure out the long hex code of the cartridge you want to install.

10. let Wherigo install the cartridge.

Ok, so I just opened the whereyougo app. tapped settings, then global. the first option is Wherigo folder, so I tapped that. I tried to manually select a folder and also left it at default folder. Still no luck.  I attached the screen shot of the message I am getting. It does not ask where I want it to download, it says- logging in, then download in progress for a second or two then error??? Please help! thanks joe

Screenshot_2018-05-08-09-12-16.png

The cartridge associated with this geocache is the very well known Wherigo reverse cache from geocacher Waldmeister. It is used in quite a lot of caches all over the world. That's good news because we know then that the problem doesn't lie on Wherigo's website side (I suspected a corrupted cartridge). Just to be sure I tried to download it today and there was no problem. 

Maybe you could try a two steps process :

1. Use your navigator to download the cartridge. Web page : http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/download.aspx?CGUID=dcdcd2ff-c171-4487-93bc-678f6d03ac4f

(You'll have to sign in and choose the Pocket PC version). 

2. Use a file explorer (if you don't have any, ES explorer could be a good choice) to move the cartridge to your WhereYouGo folder. 

Another option for the second step, as RangerFox wrote, is to identify your download folder and configure whereyougo to use it as its default folder. 

On 5/11/2018 at 3:25 AM, Tungstène said:

The cartridge associated with this geocache is the very well known Wherigo reverse cache from geocacher Waldmeister. It is used in quite a lot of caches all over the world. That's good news because we know then that the problem doesn't lie on Wherigo's website side (I suspected a corrupted cartridge). Just to be sure I tried to download it today and there was no problem. 

Maybe you could try a two steps process :

1. Use your navigator to download the cartridge. Web page : http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/download.aspx?CGUID=dcdcd2ff-c171-4487-93bc-678f6d03ac4f

(You'll have to sign in and choose the Pocket PC version). 

2. Use a file explorer (if you don't have any, ES explorer could be a good choice) to move the cartridge to your WhereYouGo folder. 

Another option for the second step, as RangerFox wrote, is to identify your download folder and configure whereyougo to use it as its default folder. 

Thank you for checking in on it. I was able to get it to work. My problem was not in downloading the cartridge. In fact, I got it to download 4 times! My issue was I couldn't get it to download where the app would see it. IE- step 8 above said my phone would prompt me where to put it, but it did not!   So I installed firefox like someone mentioned, and downloaded it from the website. It prompted me there where I would like to put it,  I found the phones "download" file and put it there. The app then found it right away and all is good! Thanks for all the help, hopefully if some other dolt like me needs help, this is not too muddied up for them!

I'm going to tack on to this thread, as we were having the same / similar issues and I just tried something else and it worked  It might help someone else.

We've been doing Wherigo only a short time, because I could not get a cartidge to play correctly in either WhereYouGo or Geooh Live.  I tried a bunch of stuff and one day it just started working and I have no idea how or what I did.  But WhereYouGo works now and hubby and I completed several cartridges successfully.

We both have Google Pixel phones, identical except for the color, purchased the same day, same updates, and same settings, same carrier, etc.  We both use the phones and the official Geocaching app to geocache, quite successfully, I think.  We downloaded WhereYouGo on his phone and tried to download cartidges so he could play along on his own device.  It logged in, and gave the same download error as a previous poster shared.  Over and over.   We uninstalled and reinstalled, we checked settings, we changed folders, we tried Geooh live, all this over a period of a couple of weeks.  We could not get cartridges to download, through the app, from the website/browser - nothing worked.

Today I downloaded a cartridge to my computer, emailed it to hubby, he opened the email on his phone and downloaded the attached cartridge file.  We opened WheriGeooh, and lo and behold, the cartridge showed in the list to "Select a Cartridge" and he could Start with the first location!  I then went into the geocaching app, selected another nearby Wherigo, and tried again to download it from the app, and this time it worked!  It's like the app had to see another file in there first before it downloaded another.  Weird, but now he can play Wherigo files in WheriGeooh and we can see if we like that better than WhereYouGo.  WhereYouGo seems clunky at times, we'll compare and see if it's the app, or the cartridges we have been doing.  There's only one person in our area who puts them together, so I have no other "authors" to compare to!

On 5/8/2018 at 10:16 AM, xr-nut said:

Ok, so I just opened the whereyougo app. tapped settings, then global. the first option is Wherigo folder, so I tapped that. I tried to manually select a folder and also left it at default folder. Still no luck.  I attached the screen shot of the message I am getting. It does not ask where I want it to download, it says- logging in, then download in progress for a second or two then error??? Please help! thanks joe

Screenshot_2018-05-08-09-12-16.png

I'm having this same problem on my Android.  See the other post I just made about it:  

ALL Wherigo Android apps had download errors on my phone when downloading via the apps, so I opted to download via a web browser instead. In order to reset "always/just once download with" Wherigo app, I had to delete all Wherigo apps so that I could re-select to always download with a web browser instead

Edited by drdr88
Notification selection
On 9/10/2018 at 1:46 AM, drdr88 said:

ALL Wherigo Android apps had download errors on my phone when downloading via the apps, so I opted to download via a web browser instead. In order to reset "always/just once download with" Wherigo app, I had to delete all Wherigo apps so that I could re-select to always download with a web browser instead

For the record, i tried this.... i downloaded a cartridge via a browser, moved it to the proper directory. After verifying that the cartridge would load i was able to download cartridges through either GeoOh or WhereYouGo.

Eric1701 

Apologies if this is overly basic, but having just downloaded WhereYouGo, I came across the same issue.  Was not given the opportunity to choose which; the app immediately popped up and then returned same download error.  The only way I could prevent that was to clear the defaults for the app - thus  allowing the choice to open the download page in Chrome - then choosing the "Pocket PC" version to download, and moving to the app's Files folder.

Clearing defaults [on Samsung S5]: 

1. Go to: Settings-Applications-Default Applications-Set as Default

2. Scroll down & tap WhereYouGo

3. Tap "Clear Defaults" button

4. Under "App links",  tap "Go to supported URLs" and change to Always ask.

I realize that this is basically what has been suggested in previous replies ... but without disabling the default action, it was impossible to "download with a browser" due to the app's intrusion at that critical juncture.

Edited by VAVAPAM
missed step 2 - doh! YOU, not I - sheesh!