Homemade trackables

Jpn8

I'm pretty sure there would be a problem putting them on multiple handmade items and releasing them at the same time. It seems like I've read that your TB code can be locked if you do this. Besides - it would be VERY confusing to other cachers to pick up a TB from one cache when it's logged into a bunch of other caches somewhere else - yet it IS physically in those other caches! And people would be "Grabbing" the TB from someone who physically has one...

Yeah - the more I think about it, the more the idea appears like a bad one to me. :)

One at a time would be your best bet (releasing a new one with the same code when the previous one goes missing), or purchase more than one TB and use their multiple codes.

• Upvote 1

I've seen it done sometimes, often a tracking number on a signature item such as a whole lot of personal wooden nickels that the owner places in caches or hands to cachers.  It's easy to see that they are not actually intended to be logged for travel.  They're all the same.  I almost never make a log on one of those.  Anyway, it's not unheard of.

As TriciaG mentioned, Groundspeak reserves the right to lock a tracking number if it gets out of hand.  They even had a policy that the owner is to delete "bogus logs".  It's slightly different now.

What is the plan if a bunch of kidnap-style cachers each get one, and are logging them along with their bag of other people's TBs into every cache they find forevermore? :blink:

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2

We know of a few trackables locked when someone put out multiples with the same code.   IIRC, it's when some complain to HQ that it becomes an issue.

- It's not like it's a replacement for one gone missing...

Similar to kunarion, you get the right group, you'd never be able to keep track of all the logs.     :D

Edited by cerberus1
  • Upvote 2

My plan is to just make a few just to see where they end up before disappearing into someone's collection. I don't want to buy a few for the the codes for them to just keep disappearing. Geocaching isn't like it use to be where trackables actually got to travel. Nowadays they are stolen or picked up by someone who just thinks it's swag.

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, Jpn8 said:

My plan is to just make a few just to see where they end up before disappearing into someone's collection. I don't want to buy a few for the the codes for them to just keep disappearing. Geocaching isn't like it use to be where trackables actually got to travel. Nowadays they are stolen or picked up by someone who just thinks it's swag.

So far every reply said the same, but go ahead and try it... 

- But if anyone sends HQ a mail saying "I found this in a cache in the US, but another found it in a cache in Germany, while a couple are Discovering in Japan!  Please fix this.", plan on having it "fixed".   :)

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, Jpn8 said:

My plan is to just make a few just to see where they end up before disappearing into someone's collection. I don't want to buy a few for the the codes for them to just keep disappearing.

But the ones in your plan will also disappear.  The only difference is people are less likely to diligently log them (and the likeliness was slim to start with).

If the plan is to enjoy how the items travel, and you have a bunch of items with unique tracking numbers, place one of each and you can see how far each one goes.  If you have just one tracking number (and a lot of items with that number), you might as well place one, and once it's verified gone, place another.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

All my trackables and caches are on my main account. This is my secondary account. I mostly use this account for geocaching with my family and recently just to post or ask something here. I'm not to keen to post it as I'd like to keep my accounts separate and anonymous. But I'll post an update every once in a while.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Jpn8 said:

All my trackables and caches are on my main account. This is my secondary account. I mostly use this account for geocaching with my family and recently just to post or ask something here. I'm not to keen to post it as I'd like to keep my accounts separate and anonymous. But I'll post an update every once in a while.

From the Forum Guidelines:

5. Sock puppet accounts are not permitted in the Geocaching Forums. A sock puppet account is created and used by a person who already has a primary account, for the purpose of posting anonymously. Posts from known sock puppet accounts may be deleted, and both the sock puppet and primary accounts may be suspended from the Geocaching Forums and Geocaching.com. Please use your real, primary account for posting in the Geocaching Forums.

• Upvote 4

This is not a sock puppet account. I actually use this account for geocaching with my family which I clearly stated. Wanting to keep my accounts separate has nothing to do with me posting here using this account. If you aren't here to comment on the subject of the thread I created please refrain from posting here and message me directly or create a different thread. 

• Upvote 2

This used to be widely frowned upon, but since the discovery policies were relaxed a short while back, it's become less of an issue from my understanding.  I know of a few instances where someone had an like a lapel pin with their tracking code reproduced in quantity and shared.  The single code was used less for tracking and more for keeping track of people met and gifted with the pin.