Hey GeoNap How's Virginia?

ArmandoM

must not be... did you see how many posts he logged last night on the forums? I think I counted 5 or 6. icon_biggrin.gif Either he has a lot of time on his hands, or he's bored. Either way doesn't speak well for caching in the area.

"And then Trogdor smote the Kerrek, and all was laid to burnination."

Armando & Co: Thanks for asking! icon_smile.gif Not too many caches near the area that I'm staying. icon_frown.gif Most are a little drive from here (10+ miles). It is beautiful here though. I was actually just working on a list a few minutes ago of ones I'm going to try to hit. Hopefully I'll get to a few more tomorrow night.

I hit this one which was pretty cool:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=71711

It was much more challenging than I expected... not sure this one is rated correctly... I would have rated the terrain and the cache more difficult.

I Have this really cool 'turn by turn' GPS in my rental car, which makes it WAY easier since I don't know the roads in the area. Armed with that and my Geko makes for an awesome caching combo. The car GPS even tells you when turns are approaching. So as long as I input a close cross street to the area, the car GPS gets me pretty close and then it's up to the Geko from there.

There's a few caches that were recommended to me and I am looking forward to some of them. I also just found one park that has like 8 caches in it! That's like a park 'cache machine' icon_smile.gif

It is kind of interesting how things vary from area to area though... geocaching just 'feels' different here... just the type of caches... the descriptions... the cachers... the trades... I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but it's just not the same.

Team Joyson: Not bored... just chillin' at the hotel. icon_smile.gif Relaxin' and enjoying my high speed hotel internet access (don't see that too many places).

So which city are you in and where is the park with eight caches in it. Gramma's family all live in the DC area so we get back there about once a year or so. The last time there we couldn't go caching because of a little sniper problem icon_eek.gif, didn't want to be more of a target than I already am. We should be going back in September and I want to get a bunch of caches this time. Hope the heat and humidity aren't melting you.

I've gone to look for myself, if I should return before I get back, please keep me here.

I was back in VA visiting relatives a little over a year ago and managed to hit some caches while there, but they were all up north around D.C. If you get up that way, I can recommend a few good ones, although I'm not sure they all still exist and there are likely new caches which are nice as well. Having grown up there, I can also recommend some really cool places to visit away from the crowds.

-----

Matt

K7MTO

I am in Fredericksburg, Va pretty close to DC (that's where I flew into). I believe it is about 50 miles south.

The heat and humidity are kicking my butt! I can't believe how HOT and HUMID it is here. One of the caches I did the other night was definitely underated terrainwise... and it had me sweating like crazy!

As far as the 'Park cache machine' do a search for the Burke Lake park cache (linked below)... and search from it's coordinates...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=373

If it works, here is my search from those coordinates... shows 10 caches all less then one mile apart.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?lat_ns=1&lat_h=38&lat_mmss=45.632&long_ew=-1&long_h=77&long_mmss=18.072

Thinking I must hit that one before I go! icon_biggrin.gif

Bazzle, I'll be back early next week. Went into Washington DC earlier tonight... the monuments were way cool in the dark. I did get soaked though! Got trapped out in the rain doing the 'monument' thing. Still was cool though. I never knew there were SO many monuments and COOL buildings in DC.

I'm back! [icon_smile.gif]

Logged some cool Virginia caches today. Hey Grandpa, just so you know... the Burke Lake park caches are not exactly the 'cache machine' I thought.

Don't get me wrong, they are all awesome... seriously put it at the top of your list. The thing is the trail is 5 miles aroud the lake. I got about half of them before I had to rush to my plane (spent a few hours there). They were all really good hunts.

I wish I would have had time to do the rest. I'll be coming back here at some point. I think there are like 10 caches around this lake. If you go (of if anyone does), let me know and I'll give you a couple tips for the area.