Lists to Garmin or ????

BrockLyfe

I am trying to get a list put on my Garmin eTrex20x that show more than just a way point. I had a user at an event hook me up last month with a FEW local caches on my garmin that had the full log description, recent finds, hints etc. I cannot for the life of me figure out how it is done. the PQ wont import even though I have correct software installed it keeps telling me to install it, and the lists do not give a description just a way point and not even the cache name. Also I noticed the caches the other member had were green lock-n-locks on my display and the ones I install off lists were treasure boxes.

I am a new user with a mac, and the words confused and frustrated do not begin to cover this current situation.

T.I.A for any replies

Start with this, and see if it helps:
https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=138&pgid=827

There are "Lists" as mentioned in the link.  You may pick and choose individual caches for a list, or use the results of a search for a whole area. Lists require "Garmin Express" which you might as well get running anyway.  Garmin Express is a way to automatically get firmware and some map updates.

But there are also "Pocket Queries" which are well-suited for a handheld GPS, and can be as many as 1000 caches in a cache area.  You unzip place the PQ GPX files into the Garmin/GPX folder just like you do with an individual cache GPX file.  It requires no particular plugins nor software.  Lists and PQs work in different ways, and can complement each other.  Once you learn how to use either one and set it up, it's simple to load a GPS with either. But in general, a PQ is great for a GPS, a List is great for a phone App.  Since old files are manually removed from a GPS, I delete old files as one step to using Pocket Queries.

One very important thing to note about a Garmin GPS is that it sets up its database according to what you send it.  If it's showing only "waypoints", and you add GPX files, it may show more waypoints.  You may instead delete everything in "Garmin/GPX" (back it all up first), and then place the new files.  And with a Mac, remember that files aren't actually "deleted" until you "dump the trash".  Good luck!

Edited by kunarion
1 hour ago, kunarion said:

Start with this, and see if it helps:
https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=138&pgid=827

There are "Lists" as mentioned in the link.  You may pick and choose individual caches for a list, or use the results of a search for a whole area. Lists require "Garmin Express" which you might as well get running anyway.  Garmin Express is a way to automatically get firmware and some map updates.

But there are also "Pocket Queries" which are well-suited for a handheld GPS, and can be as many as 1000 caches in a cache area.  You unzip place the PQ GPX files into the Garmin/GPX folder just like you do with an individual cache GPX file.  It requires no particular plugins nor software.  Lists and PQs work in different ways, and can complement each other.  Once you learn how to use either one and set it up, it's simple to load a GPS with either. But in general, a PQ is great for a GPS, a List is great for a phone App.  Since old files are manually removed from a GPS, I delete old files as one step to using Pocket Queries.

One very important thing to note about a Garmin GPS is that it sets up its database according to what you send it.  If it's showing only "waypoints", and you add GPX files, it may show more waypoints.  You may instead delete everything in "Garmin/GPX" (back it all up first), and then place the new files.  And with a Mac, remember that files aren't actually "deleted" until you "dump the trash".  Good luck!

Thank you for the reply! I do have Garmin Express already setup as well as birds eye SD card with extra Top maps, city navi etc. I have been porting over with garmin express as well as basecamp but the caches are not appearing the same way, regardless if ported from lists or PQ. im slamming my face into the keyboard at this point.. Ill retry the steps again and hope to produce a different result.