Happy Waymarking Accidents

iconions

I just got back from vacation, trying to drive the Great River Road from Saint Louis to south of Memphis and back, then back home to Kansas City.  Along the way, as usual, I was taking pictures of things that were interesting and were Waymarking categories, not necessarily checking previously whether they had been previously waymarked before or not (yea, I'm a dinosaur that has a old fashioned cell phone only for emergencies, anyway, continuing on...).  The chauffeur and tour guide (of course, that would be me) stops in the town of Helena-West Helena, Arkansas.  This town, along the Mississippi, was the scene of a Civil War battle in 1862, and again in 1863.  I take some photos of the downtown area.  As I am leaving, I see a sign pointing to the Confederate Cemetery.  Hmmm, these are usually really peaceful, and always worth a visit.  I had no idea of what was in store.  
The Helena Confederate Cemetery is a separate cemetery from the main Maple Hill Cemetery for Helena-West Helena.  Driving into the cemetery, there is a nice obelisk and the road to the Confederate Cemetery turns to the right.  Well, the Obelisk turns out to be the family stone for Confederate General Thomas Hindman.  Okay, this is a good find.  Continuing along the road, the Confederate Cemetery is up on a hill, kind of scary to get to in a big pickup.  It was well worth it, though.  I found THREE Confederate Generals buried up there including Patrick Cleburne, probably the most famous Division Commander the Confederacy had in the West.  There was also a very nice Memorial to the fallen Confederate soldiers up there.  
So, I hadn't planned to be in Helena-West Helena, and I surely didn't plan to be in those cemeteries.  However, because of Waymarking, I was able to find some incredible spots because I was willing to wander.  Now, just to get in there and process ALL of those pictures I took the last week!  

I like these "Waymarking took me to" happy accidents.

Whilst Waymarking the many cemeteries near us, and the various categories therein, I came on the grave of Albert E. Brumley, who wrote over 800 gospel songs, including the ubiquitous "I'll Fly Away".  That's just one cool thing.

My wife and I are still chuckling about our visit to Marshall Cemetery in Carroll County, Arkansas; where the landowner told us "Here's the keys to my 4WD pickup.  Use that to get over to the cemetery and back.  Don't use your car."  Our car is a 4WD off road, but I was glad for the offer after driving back to his home.  The hill between his place and the cemetery is as steep as some of our ATV trails here at the ranch, and that's pretty steep.  Don't know how they have a graveside service there, and yet the latest burial was from 2016.

There are many other odd and funny occurrences from our Waymarking trips.  I should have kept notes on them.

59 minutes ago, MountainWoods said:

I like these "Waymarking took me to" happy accidents.

Whilst Waymarking the many cemeteries near us, and the various categories therein, I came on the grave of Albert E. Brumley, who wrote over 800 gospel songs, including the ubiquitous "I'll Fly Away".  That's just one cool thing.

My wife and I are still chuckling about our visit to Marshall Cemetery in Carroll County, Arkansas; where the landowner told us "Here's the keys to my 4WD pickup.  Use that to get over to the cemetery and back.  Don't use your car."  Our car is a 4WD off road, but I was glad for the offer after driving back to his home.  The hill between his place and the cemetery is as steep as some of our ATV trails here at the ranch, and that's pretty steep.  Don't know how they have a graveside service there, and yet the latest burial was from 2016.

There are many other odd and funny occurrences from our Waymarking trips.  I should have kept notes on them.

Way too cool!  I almost wished I had a 4x4 to climb that hill to the Confederate Cemetery.