Messaging Feature That Makes Me Nuts

BikeBill

I like Geocaching's Messaging feature and use it quite a bit.  One thing about it make me crazy: When I hit the 'Enter' key if I want to skip a space, the message sends.  This often happens right after I address who the message is to or partway through when I want to start a paragraph.  The message (or part of one) is gone without spell checking or checking grammar or whatever.  I just sent a message that the recipient got in three parts due to this. 

Since there is a big 'Send' button at the bottom of the page, why does the message send with the 'Enter' key?  I've talked to others who are also irked by this so it's not only me.  (And, no, I don't want to relearn my keyboard skills).

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, BikeBill said:

Since there is a big 'Send' button at the bottom of the page, why does the message send with the 'Enter' key?  I've talked to others who are also irked by this so it's not only me.  (And, no, I don't want to relearn my keyboard skills).

There's also a tick box at the bottom of the page which says "press enter to send" (or something similar), untick that and you will have to click that big "Send" button to send...

Edited by MartyBartfast
  • Upvote 5

I posted this same irk a few weeks ago.  No idea how it got turned on but I'm glad MartyBartfast's instructions did the trick for me and will also work for you, I'm sure.

I wonder if it was a new feature added and that is the default setting when it was implemented.  However, I use the message center quite frequently and haven't noticed any difference while on the receiving end so maybe we're just special. :lol:

On 4/23/2018 at 3:24 PM, Mineral2 said:

It's not a new feature. The option to make <enter> a new paragraph or a submission action has been there since the message center was first implemented.

I wish more sites did this.  I've encountered numerous systems where a <enter> always submits/sends.  It's almost always after I've started a new sentence and end up having to send an additional message to finish the sentence.