Where's in a name?

Where's in a name? is one of my favorite categories, even though it frustrates me that people don't follow the rules. :D

Anyway, something unusual came up and I'm interested in some feedback. Is there ANY reason that I cannot have TWO of these waymarks with the exact same coordinates? I'm worried the system might not allow it, but it BETTER. Yeah, it better!  My two offers have not yet been accepted, but I found an overlook with a view that exactly matches someone's converted name for the North coordinates, and someone else's converted name for the West coordinates.

Recently I had an issue with the system not allowing me to post a centenarian because I had already posted one at those coordinates. I know MANY centenarians that share coordinates (I mean, the markers are either right next to each other, or it's a double marker with both names centenarians). I had to trick the system to allow coordinates, then changed them after. I'm wondering if I'll have a similar issue with the Names category.

Update:  Now I feel dumb! I just remembered that I won't be the one posting a waymark, the other waymarkers will. Hopefully they will be allowed to post at the same coords without any issues. 

Just ignore my post. Sorry.

Edited by Max and 99

I feel dumb asking for help on this, but.... the other day while browsing the forums I found a name that I wanted to check out for the Where's in a Name? category. But I can't seem to locate the name, either on geocaching or Waymarking, so I think I'm just getting the spaces or apostrophe incorrect. Does anyone recognize this name and can help me? I thought it was 3 Pretty's.

Someone posted a link to find ANY name, even those that sometimes give trouble because of apostrophes, but I cannot find it.

Any help please?

Thank you.

1 hour ago, iconions said:

I've only tried this category once.  The name I used actually ended up in this very historic cemetery in Lansing, Kansas.  I think my name ended up outside a truck stop in Iowa - go figure!  :D

I've done it about 10 times, and work hard to find an interesting location for the name. Sometimes it's difficult.

2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I've done it about 10 times, and work hard to find an interesting location for the name. Sometimes it's difficult.

I can believe it.  I got really lucky with the other name and landed her name in the Mount Muncie Cemetery.  

Oak Hill Cemetery in Lawrence, Kansas is the most historic, followed by Fort Leavenworth, second; then Mount Muncie in Lansing, Kansas, third for the most historic Kansas Cemeteries.  My opinion, of course, but I could make a pretty good case for it.  

I was able to nab four converted names on this trip. The fifth politely declined.  It is so much work that I wish there was a way to keep track of which ones I contributed to  (without using the Uncategorized waymarks).  It's a lot of work but so rewarding too! This is one of my favorite categories.

WistfulKate, tofixe, Trail Blaisers, and elyob: your photos and information will be sent soon!

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I was able to nab four converted names on this trip. The fifth politely declined.  It is so much work that I wish there was a way to keep track of which ones I contributed to  (without using the Uncategorized waymarks).  It's a lot of work but so rewarding too! This is one of my favorite categories.

WistfulKate, tofixe, Trail Blaisers, and elyob: your photos and information will be sent soon!

You get visit credit after all your hard work, correct?

I want a promotion!

The person listed as the founder of this category quit Waymarking and is not a member of any group (her words). (I know she wasn't the original founder, just currently listed as such).

One of the three officers listed hasn't "checked in" since 2012!   The other two: one is very current, and the other last checked in about 4 months ago.

Wayfrog, can you help?

Enrollment is OFF.WhereInAName.thumb.png.d039da32369c288b5e74916b246c862c.png

Edited by Max and 99
1 hour ago, Loonwatcher said:

Hey gang.  Interesting thread. I tried to expand the category description, but still can't understand how to convert my GC name (loonwatcher) to numbers.  Help please? :unsure:

Convert your entire Geocaching handle to a coordinate.
Using a telephone keypad and your Username, convert your entire Username into numbers such that:

A, B or C='2'

D, E or F='3'; etc.

If your name is five letters or shorter, you must use the entire name and can fill in the remaining values as desired or leave them "open" for your buddy to have some leeway. You must use your regular Username, no creating new ones just for this cache!

This process will generate one coord.

On 6/12/2018 at 6:51 AM, Loonwatcher said:

Hey gang.  Interesting thread. I tried to expand the category description, but still can't understand how to convert my GC name (loonwatcher) to numbers.  Help please? :unsure:

so, going on what Max&99 just posted, LoonWatcher would be 56° 66.928.  Since 66 minutes is over an "hour" (degree), it would become 57° 06.928. Use that for either an east/west longitude or north/south latitude.

Edited by vulture1957

Hm, interesting. I just discovered this category thanks to the forums. Only took me 8 years. So, if I have this correct, our username converts to numbers based off that of a phone keypad to turn into coordinates? My username is too long (9 letters) so how would this work when I need 7 or 8? I came up with N 25 83.767 when rounding up. Would this be acceptable? My home N coordinates are 33 so I don't think I would be able to visit myself any times soon. :(

8 minutes ago, bluesnote said:

Hm, interesting. I just discovered this category thanks to the forums. Only took me 8 years. So, if I have this correct, our username converts to numbers based off that of a phone keypad to turn into coordinates? My username is too long (9 letters) so how would this work when I need 7 or 8? I came up with N 25 83.767 when rounding up. Would this be acceptable? My home N coordinates are 33 so I don't think I would be able to visit myself any times soon. :(

Here are your converted coordinates (can be used for N or W or S or E)  26º 23.766  No rounding.  Your name exactly as is.

Edited by Max and 99
incorrect assumption
14 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Here are your converted coordinates (can be used for N or W or S or E)  26º 23.766  No rounding.  Your name exactly as is.

8Nuts Mothergoose may be able to work this out with you. I can try to get something going in late Oct or Nov when I go visit family in Florida.

Edited by vulture1957
2 hours ago, lumbricus said:

Who can help me with 59°02.742' if I'm right?

Thanks!

Wow, that could be a challenge.  I used to make annual trips through western Newfoundland.  If you can find someone making that journey, a road-side waymark would do the job.

It could be difficult to find a waymarker with a specific coordinates, it's more efficient to find a geocacher.

For my waymark with my name, i searched geocaches nearby my name's coordinates and i sent an email to differents owners and one of them reply it was ok for him and two weeks after he sent to me a GPS picture with coordinates and a surrounding picture. It was a floridian geocacher.

• Upvote 1
23 hours ago, bluesnote said:

Much of N26 23.766 is ranch land or crop land. looking at a map I have found 4 possible locations. From West to East:

Roma, TX is a historic town. Unfortunately, the coordinates puts me on the southeast edge of town or in Mexico. I do not have a passport. I might be able to get a photo of the Rio Grande River at the coordinates. The river splits around an island at this location, with most of the river passing on the other side of the Island. The view from the Roma Bluffs looking over and into the Mexican town is great. But the view is 3/4 mile north of the coordinates.

The second location is a WWII airfield with a nearby TX Historical Marker. I'm afraid there will be brush and trees along the road at the coordinates.

The third location is an irrigation supply lake. There is a County park located here a bit north of the coordinates. I would have to walk out of the park and 1/2 mile around the south side of the lake to get to the coordinates. There may be No Trespassing Signs that will stop me before I get there.

The final location would be on the shore of South Padre Island about 12 miles up the coast from town. Because of the heavy beach traffic, narrow drive path, and my two wheel drive truck, I would have to time it for low tide in the early morning on a weekday.

Bluesnote.jpg

Edited by 8Nuts MotherGoose
trying for a better photo