Geocaches not showing up on the 64s

scoldsteve

Hi.  I recently purchased a 64s when my 62st finally died on me. I loaded in some of the caches for Geowoodstock but I can't find them under the Geocaches selector on my unit.

Even with Spell search they are MIA.  It mentions adjusting the search parameters but I have no idea how to do this or even will they work.

I do live in Ontario and the caches are about 650kms away although the waypoints in the same distances are visible under waypoints.

Caches that are 180kms away are present..  Is this a reason why I'm not seeing them (distance being a factor) (loaded them on the unit showing up under the GPX directory)

If changing the search parameters will solve this dillema how do I access them

Thanks

This won't be a comprehensive response, but might get you closer to your answer.  There are settings to limit the distance at which caches will be shown.  I have mine set to 8 miles.  They do not show up when the map scale is greater than 8 miles on geocaching profile.   That could be one issue.  Also, the geocache filter settings might be preventing you from seeing certain cache types or sizes.  Filter settings are different for each profile type (geocaching, recreational, automotive, marine, classic) and geocaches are not handled exactly the same as waypoints between geocaching and recreational profiles, IIRC.  I only use those two profile settings (geocaching and recreational).  The caches should still appear as a list without being on the map (assuming filters are all clear) when you do a "Find", "Geocache" menu search.  

The 64s series is a bit different than the 62s despite the interfaces being virtually identical.  I seem to recall having similar problems until I modified the filter settings for geocaches on both the main settings screen and the geocaching profile.  The biggest difference that really bugged me was the feature where found geocaches disappear from the map rather than show an open chest.  Filter settings can change that as well.   I hope this helps a little bit.  Good luck.

The 64 and the Oregon 6xx and 7xx don‘t show „far-away-caches“ on the list anymore like the 62 and the Oregon 2/3/4/5xx did, but you can see them on the map. One option is to scroll the map to the area, another one is to create a waypoint in this area („mark waypoint“, then edit the coordinates and save), then go to „waypoint manager“, choose that waypoint and „view map“. You will then see all the caches you loaded.

Scrolling is OK when the area is not too far away. I‘m planning a trip to the US this summer, 7500 km away. While creating waypoints in Denver, Rapid City etc., I don‘t have to scroll across the Atlantic Ocean to see the caches I loaded. 

Edited by Henne1312