SLOW download offline data

The download of offline data to the IPAD app is usually slower than it should be even though the internet connection is great for other apps.   Unfortunately, sometimes it takes 30+ minutes to download the data for 1000 caches.   This is JUST for the cache data and no photos or maps.   Many times it won't even download and gives an error and must be restarted.   

I have a PQ with 951 caches in it. In the official app on the iphone, while on wifi, i selected the PQ in the Lists screen and had it download offline data. In ran for about 2 minutes and had downloaded about 40%. It still showed downloading but I saw no noticeble progress on the Details screen that was showing the download. 

Seems an issue specific to the app vs the Geocaching site because I did the same thing in Cachly, another iPhone app, and it took under 1 minute to download the 951 caches with the exact same PQ. 

I left the official Geocaching iPhone running for 10 mins and it it looks like it moved from 40% to 50%. 

Edit: Not sure when, but it eventually finished and 951 caches are showing as downloaded.  It took between 11 and 40 mins to download. 

Edited by Team DEMP

The official Geocaching app downloads map tiles, in the "Trails" format, when offline data is downloaded. My guess is that the map tiles constitute a large portion of the download. I tested downloading a list that only requires a few map tiles versus the same number of caches that require more map tiles:

• Downloaded a list of 610 caches that cover a variety of areas across 4-5 states = around 20 minutes
  • Downloaded a list of 600 caches that cover a limited area around Seattle = less than 5 minutes
On 4/22/2018 at 10:49 PM, noncentric said:

The official Geocaching app downloads map tiles, in the "Trails" format, when offline data is downloaded.

Thanks a bunch for the info.  I see that now on the INFO tab in the app

I guess that explains the situation.  My 1000 caches were scattered across western Colorado and eastern Utah so covered a lot of area.  There used to be an option whether you wanted to download the maps or not.  This needs to be reinstated as 30+ minutes to download the caches is ridiculous if all you want is the cache descriptions.