Resettable padlocks

I'm planning a puzzle cache intended to be pretty difficult, and I want to include a combination padlock locking the ammo can cache closed. My latest paranoia is that it appears that all combo padlocks these days are able to be "reset" and I'm worried that finders will be tempted to vandalize the cache by resetting the padlock to some number that only they know...

Is that just crazy to be worried about that?

3 hours ago, Korichnovui said:

I'm worried that finders will be tempted to vandalize the cache by resetting the padlock to some number that only they know...

I'm not sure that vandalizing will be such an problem, but I went to find a puzzle cache which required climbing (with ropes) to about 6 different places in a tree to collect clues which you then use to work out the combination, and the cache is also up the tree. When I got to the lock I was sure I had the right combination (I did) but it wouldn't open so I had to DNF it. I then discovered the previous finder had accidentally managed to reset the combination after she'd finished to something random, another cacher realised what had happened and subsequently went and hacked the lock to reset it to the correct code - I still haven't made it back to get the cache open. I know both of the other cachers involved and so I know %100 this was accidental and not vandalism, so maybe something else you need to take into consideration.

Having said that I don't think there are many consumer grade combination locks which can't be picked given a bit of time and a bit of skill, so maybe you could practice doing that on the lock you choose before putting it out.

I wouldn't worry about it. A person that intentionally wants to mess things up can do it in a variety of ways. Resetting the combination probably wouldn't be the first thing they thought of. No matter what steps you take, a cache like this is likely to require more maintenance than your basic easy traditional. It all depends on where it's placed and how hard it is to solve/find, etc,,. More difficult usually means less problems. I say usually because if the cache is easy to locate, but hard to get into, then problems arise with people breaking it to get into it.

13 hours ago, Korichnovui said:

I'm planning a puzzle cache intended to be pretty difficult, and I want to include a combination padlock locking the ammo can cache closed. My latest paranoia is that it appears that all combo padlocks these days are able to be "reset" and I'm worried that finders will be tempted to vandalize the cache by resetting the padlock to some number that only they know...

First, is the ammo can going to be tethered?  Simply locking the can not being much of a deterrent to theft...

If you're concerned to the point you're starting new threads on that same cache, we've only found one ammo can that was locked when it was in a decent hiding spot and a little off-trail. 

Around a year ago there was a thread about "lock picking" caches.  Apparently there's more than a few classes on "how to" pick locks, events are even held with timed picking, and IIRC by bookmarks, "lock picking" caches have a bit of a following (many in Europe).  When many locks can be picked by a simple sheet of metal not even touching that combination,  the last thing I'd worry about is someone messing with the combo. 

You could use a keyed model.  Maybe a simple two-stage multi with the key at the first, but realize you'll be ripping that lock off after you find  key's aren't always returned, as many experience when a "tool" is needed (that "rush off to the next one..." thing).  Trackables are lousy for holding the key as well, those keys will be states away by the sixth person, or just go missing. 

Yeah I've already thought a key/tool one would be even more problematic to keep control of.

I've already rethought the puzzle where a padlock isn't needed. It should enhance the longevity / reduce the need for maintenance.

I've since realized that if people want to vandalize or cause mischief, they can just steal the cache / not set it back right.

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, Korichnovui said:

I've since realized that if people want to vandalize or cause mischief, they can just steal the cache / not set it back right.

As my father always says (and his father said before him), locks are for honest people.  If someone REALLY wants in, they'll get in.

I had a combination lock puzzle once.  It was fun.  For the most part people were honest with it.  The FTF even pointed out that he "could have" reset the code to something else (as I was already aware).  No one ever did, although I'd have immediately thought of a very short list of jokesters.  When we were moving, I went to pick it up.  Sometime in the last three finds, someone decided that using the combination was for suckers and had pried it open.

Other variations on this theme have met with the same fate.  When someone really wants in they will get in.  I'd rather them false claim the find rather than destroy the object.

Heya

So I have one of these currently. It’s part of a short series of 10 caches that I’ve placed around my town. You have to go around a park finding numbers on signs in order to open the container. It has done really well and is my most favorited cache, probably because there are ones like it in the general area. No one has tried to reset the lock. I guess it depends on the type of local cachers you have for these types of cache to work properly. 

We have 3 caches (one of them recently archived) that use resettable padlocks.

Guardian of the logbook = resettable word padlock 3years no issues, finally archived this cache due to persistent muggle activity, somebody actually cut the lock hasp and took entire contents inside the cache.  The whole cache is otherwise undamaged. We decided it was time to archive.

208 = approaching 3years with virtually zero problems

Walk in the park = placed January 2018...only one find so far.  So far so good.

NOTE: we were in Seattle 2015, Woodland Zoo has two caches that used resettable combo locks.  One we opened easily, the other we could not access.  After following the logs, it appears they have periodic issues with the resettable locks.

Feel free to PM me if you need any other information.

• Upvote 1