Padlock exposed to the elements?

Korichnovui

53 minutes ago, Korichnovui said:

If I lock an ammo can with a small combination padlock, will it (the padlock) last long if exposed to weather? What if I get it in a sheltered spot where it won't get wet?

It depends whether the lock is designed for outdoor use or not. If it isn't, I wouldn't expect it to work very well (ie. open) after a while if it's in a spot where it would be exposed to the elements. Even if it's sheltered, moisture in the air could still get in and can degrade the mechanism.

I used a key padlock a few years ago to secure an ammo can with a bike cable. I didn't put enough thought into the type of lock I used, and when it came time to remove the container a few months ago, I couldn't get the key to open the lock. It could be that dirt got into the tumbler, or part of the mechanism corroded. I ended up having to cut the cable to get everything out of GZ, and then use some heavy-duty tools at home to hack the hardened-steel lock off. I've learned my lesson and will use outdoor-rated locks for any future cases.

I've had a ten-buck master lock combo 2 1/2" shank lock on the shed out back for well over ten years now.  Exposed to weather, still works fine.  Spray some silicone on it when you do maintenance.   If I had to worry about tethering an ammo can, I'd probably find a new spot.  If I had to have that spot, the locks last a while.

Use a good silicone lubricant in it. Just soak it and it should make a world of difference. There are even specific lock and keyway lubes. Do NOT use regular blue can WD40. (The WD40 silicon is actually what I use.)

Somewhat related... I’ve had a cache secured to a bike rack for a few years. It actually rests on the ground and is exposed to salt, sand and ice. It’s only maybe 30 feet from Lake Michigan in Chicago. Here’s the lock I use. 

On 4/20/2018 at 9:48 PM, cerberus1 said:

I've had a ten-buck master lock combo 2 1/2" shank lock on the shed out back for well over ten years now.  Exposed to weather, still works fine.  Spray some silicone on it when you do maintenance.   If I had to worry about tethering an ammo can, I'd probably find a new spot.  If I had to have that spot, the locks last a while.

My parents still use the same master lock padlock on the shed that was built in 1990. Just keep it lubricated! 27 Illinois winters later and it still works.